Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

BDS Suspension - Shock discussion

Products offered by our vendor: BDS

Moderator: BDS Suspension

Forum rules
All posts in this section pertain to our vendor:

by SteveTB03 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:43 am

Damnit I knew I should have rephrased that last bit I knew it sounded bad lol :wallbash:
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by irishboy02 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:24 am

Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Gordinho80 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:45 am

Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by Trail X » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I FINALLY got around to installing some of these after the rear bumper and Christmas is paid off.

With the Z71 shocks, I had 2.5" of downward extension - eek (didn't measure upward).

With the new BDS shocks, It's looking like 5.25" of downward extension and 5.5" of upward stuffage. Total rear travel is around 10.5", not bad.

I notice it feels smoother in the back now (because it's not topping out all the time), but I do feel that the damping isn't as significant as with the Z71 shocks. I guess BDS sized their shock damping for unloaded trucks? Just my opinion. Still, I'm happier now with the 55000s.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:33 pm

The BDS cylinder was sized for Suburban/Tahoes/Avalanche/classic Land Cruiser IIRC. It is for a heavier truck, but probably not the load Teebes and I have in ours all the time.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Zero » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:08 pm

would the ride be better if JD went with the 9500's? What would be the main determining factor between choosing one or the other?

do most people go with the 5500 because of the price difference?
Zero
Veteran

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by SteveTB03 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:34 pm

I went with the 55s becausd tgey came with the lift when I bought it.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by The Roadie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Lots of folks are frugal, or don't need higher performance. For long washboard desert runs, I don't like to worry about shock fade or overheating.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Mooseknuckle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:55 am

Well for me I had the money and after thinking about it thoroughly I knew the 9500's were the best for me.Trust me either shock (5500's or the 9500's) you choose you will not be disappointed. The 5500's are 47.32 each and the 9500's are 117.77 each. So its up to you,like a wise man once told me "whats your mission?" there are some of us that run 5500's and few of us that run the 9500's. I think actually its Roadie,Irishboy and myself that have the 9500's.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Gordinho80 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:05 pm

I know someone who might be looking to sell their 95s or trade for a set of stockers + some cash soon...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Zero » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:I know someone who might be looking to sell their 95s or trade for a set of stockers + some cash soon...

i have my stocks, and z71 layin in a box in the garage, keep me in mind would ya!
Zero
Veteran

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Gordinho80 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm putting this out there again, hopefully we can get Matt's insight on the matter as well.

Why doesn't BDS offer a replacement front shock for our platform? I have to imagine they already have an existing unit with similar specifications...

Matt?

:coffee:
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by BDS Suspension » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:I'm putting this out there again, hopefully we can get Matt's insight on the matter as well.

Why doesn't BDS offer a replacement front shock for our platform? I have to imagine they already have an existing unit with similar specifications...

Matt?

:coffee:

Several reason we don't offer one. First, considering all of the products we produce/sell, the Trailblazer line would be considered a low volume mover for us. We need to be able to justify the startup costs, inventory cost/space as well as making sure there is a reasonable market for it. The Trailblazer strut design is very unique, so having something else that is "similar" is very unlikely (we don't have one). On top of that, using something that is similar or close enough is really not how we do things. Currently there is enough other suppliers for a replacement strut to sustain the market. Really, if we came out with a new strut we would be just getting into a fight for market share. Based on how we go to market and sell our product if would be hard for us to compete. Bilstein, Rancho, etc are widely known as suppliers of replacements shocks in many different markets (lifted, lowered, general auto part store stock replacement, etc). We on the other hand are really only known in the lift market and wouldn't get the benefit of the non-lifted sales to the extent that the others do. Volume dictates a lot, especially our ability to buy/sell at a competitive price. Trying to compete with companies that sell 10,000 units/year is pretty hard to do when our ceiling is probably closer to 500.

Hope that explanation makes sense...let me know if you have anymore questions.
http://www.bds-suspension.com
Use it, Abuse it...that's what it's made for!
Best and Only "No Fine Print" Warranty in the business!
BDS Suspension
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Gordinho80 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks for the response. While I understand that the Trailblazer is a small market, BDS did decide to make a rear shock to combine with the lift kit. Does a stock/OEM replacement front strut provide enough dampening to go along with the BDS lift, in your opinion? I understand the way BDS runs as far as not running something that is not meant for the vehicle, I meant my statement more as, you may already have a good starting point with an existing strut that would only need minor tweaks to be suited for our platform.

I guess I'm just stirring the pot...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by BDS Suspension » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:Thanks for the response. While I understand that the Trailblazer is a small market, BDS did decide to make a rear shock to combine with the lift kit. Does a stock/OEM replacement front strut provide enough dampening to go along with the BDS lift, in your opinion? I understand the way BDS runs as far as not running something that is not meant for the vehicle, I meant my statement more as, you may already have a good starting point with an existing strut that would only need minor tweaks to be suited for our platform.

I guess I'm just stirring the pot...

I wish it was as easy as "Let's make this thing and get people to buy it" but it isn't. It isn't really a design/R&D issue but more of a making money/business issue. Honestly, we can make anything you could ever dream of, but the question is not if we can but whether we should. To be more specific, whether you change a "current" strut by an inch or by a mile, it still changes. The change means it is a new part and it requires the same time/money investment as something made 100% from scratch.

As far as the rear shock goes, that was something that was necessary to make the kit function properly. As we see it, the rear shocks are just as necessary as the rear spacer. They go together. In the front, we were able to design around the factory components. And to answer your question, yes, the factory strut specs are sufficient. You have to remember, not everyone does what you guys do with a Trailblazer...actually a very small percentage do. You guys tend to run to the limits of the function of this particular vehicle. This isn't uncommon. There are extremes to every vehicle "group", whether it be a Jeep or Dodge truck, etc. There is a much larger percentage of people that just lift their vehicle (easily in the range of 80/20). Therefore the bulk of our product is not going on vehicles that are weighted down with large bumpers, winchs and wheeled every weekend....other then larger tires they are basically stock and stay that way. For them, what we offer is "perfect" and they will never need/want to expand beyond that. What that leaves us with is an even smaller group in that 20%(at best) that may want or in rare cases need something better. Then you break that group down even further to those that "want" to and those that actually do.

Hope this is making sense. I have been doing this stuff for quite a long time...I could write a book!
http://www.bds-suspension.com
Use it, Abuse it...that's what it's made for!
Best and Only "No Fine Print" Warranty in the business!
BDS Suspension
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2003

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Makes alot of sense. Reinforces my desire for a sas. I did notice a bit of fluid on my bds shock on the driver side. Need to look into it as soon as its above freezing.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by janesy86 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I did notice a bit of fluid on my bds shock on the driver side. Need to look into it as soon as its above freezing.

I just did a quick look over my truck yesterday and noticed both rears look like there may be busted seals and leaking. Need to clean them up and see if that's whats happening.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Trail X » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Maybe Matt can comment on the testing duration and tested lifespan of the shocks? It sounds like they go through fairly rigorous testing.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm

BDS Suspension wrote: You have to remember, not everyone does what you guys do with a Trailblazer...actually a very small percentage do.

This is very true, and although it may look like we've got allot interest, its hardly anything compared to the other vehicles out there. Not to mention the majority of the people in here are bargin hunters, looking for the cheapest price they can find. Its hard for a company with such quality product to justify bringing something to market just to compete for that 5-10% of people willing to pay for it.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by janesy86 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:29 am

Matt, is there a warranty on the these shocks? I got a set only in April of last year and they are both busted at the seals and are leaking... the box says lifetime guarantee, so is there anything you can do? Looking to replace soon for a better ride just want to know my options.

Thanks, Nick
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007

PreviousNext

Return to BDS Suspension