Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Boys, my most probable dumb question ever

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by TripleJman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:19 am

2002 is alil old at 190k miles. Should I be safe and start replacing my front struts/maybe springs and UCA flip before getting the 32" MTs? I want em so bad..

I want to be "smart and safe" by replacing everything first but not sure if it really matters because I'll replace them within a couple weeks after the tires..
And yes the front end is a little worn for sure
TripleJman
Cruiser

Name: Jonah
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Diacom » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:28 pm

What does your alignment shop say? Are parts "worn" out or are they still good?

If they are still good, they may still fail somewhat premature due to the added stress of the larger tires, but that can happen even with newer parts.

Again, if they are still good, but then fail, would you still have the funds to do a repair/replacement if the need comes up? If not, you may want to wait before upsizing and adding the additional wear potential to your rig. This would apply to what is on your TB now or if you replace everything first then add the larger tires.

I only ask as everyone has had different experiences. Some have lifted and not had to replace many parts if any at all, while others have lifted and have had a never ending replacement issue. I would think a majority fall somewhere in between.

Myself, since adding the lift at about 60K and then 35's at 90k, I have replaced one half shaft and bent lower rear control arm. I now have 133k mi, have been to the Dakota Territory Challenge 3 times, Moab twice and other smaller runs and outings between.

So sometimes you get lucky, other times you pay. As long as you pay attention when things sound different or feel different and do an inspection on your rig at least a couple times a year, more if you off road more often, then you should be fine as long as your current parts are not worn.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by cpyonker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:20 pm

What we did was put the lift on, took it to the shop, and then replaced what the said needed replacing. After that we took it back to the shop.
cpyonker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by TripleJman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:51 am

well my damn right low beam headlight is out again after I THOUGHT I fixed it finally... so I'm taking it to the shop to fix that and my "gate ajar" light thats been on for a few weeks, while im there im just gonna get the bilstein struts in there and replace whatever they say needs replacing, be smart before I get the big rubbers on. Thanks guys
TripleJman
Cruiser

Name: Jonah
Vehicle Year: 2002

Return to Lifts / Suspension