Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Newb from Lawrenceville Georgia

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by TripleJman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Newb in terms of knowledge about offroad and cars in general, even though im a 19 year old guy :scratch:
Glad I found this website its exactly what I need but of course I have a few questions.
1. I have a gold/pewter 2002 Trailblazer 4x4 LS 4.2L 6 cylinder
2. All I want to do to my truck is.. everything, meaning I really just want to get atleast 3" lift on the entire truck, some nice AT tires as well, but also level it out. I'll get skid plates, a front steel bumper, get the spare tire on the back, maybe on top. I want it to look something like the picture below. I read something about the front diff going through the oil pan or driveshaft somethin, and that allows only so much lift but I was wondering what I can actually do if I have everything stock right now.
3. What should I get first to raise and level it out? I don't really know what to get first but what I want first is atleast to raise it alittle bit along with a skid plate, what would I have to buy to get a 2.5" - 3" total lift (without getting tires yet) Once I do get some AT tires that should give it alittle more lift, right? Thanks and hello offroadtb.com
Attachments
MyfutureTB.jpg
TripleJman
Cruiser

Name: Jonah
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by DirtyBacon04 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:39 pm

I hope funding isn't an issue for you. Hope you're filthy rich.
I started with a BDS 2". Kept that for a few years before I upgraded to RADFLO coilovers. Served it's purpose, but if I had to do it over, knowing what I know, i would start with RADFLOs.
Tires: I'm loyal to BFG KO2s. Won't roll anything else.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TripleJman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Well I'm definitely not filthy rich, but (hopefully) I can spend less than 1200$ and get it looking almost like that picture, before the paint job of course, the blackout and extra lights are last on the list
TripleJman
Cruiser

by Trail X » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:49 pm

That picture was with BDS 2" + 87 springs in front and Z71 springs in the rear with 32" tires. Those three things will get you there, but you need to upgrade wheels or get wheel spacers, plus you'll want to upgrade shocks while you're in there. 1200 might be doable, but you'll need to skimp on the tires. Tires alone can be 1200 easily.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by TripleJman » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Tires can be 1200 easily? Oh lord, I thought there were decent AT tires for 130-160 each. I was thinking of getting theliftmeister.com 's 2.5" lift kit and wheel spacers, but if I add z71 springs in the back does that lift the back alittle higher too? I just want a raise now, tires a few months later, and whatever later later
TripleJman
Cruiser

by BC backroader » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:28 pm

I got extremely lucky, and bought the complete setup, used, from a member who was returning his TB to stock configuration, for the ridiculous price of $300. That got me the Liftmeister 2.5" lift, Z71 rear springs, and correct length BDS 51000 series shocks, all just 6 months old, and in excellent condition. Keep your eyes on the For Sale forum here, and on GMTnation, as well. Suitable tires are usually in the $200 range, but again, watch for sales/closeouts. I got a set of 4 Motomaster AT2s in 245/70/17 for just $111 each last week, as they are now a discontinued line, replaced by a newer AT3 design.

Here's the truck with the lift and tires as described:
Attachments
IMG_0502.JPG
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:55 pm

250 is a median price tag for big tires, def not the top end. You buy 5 and you're at $1250.
Trail X
Founder

by NC_IslandRunner » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:33 am

I got a killer set of 285/78/16 mud tires for $700 for 5. Chinese but they have done well this year, at least until the tranny shit out on me. But this is not my daily driver, I did let my brother drive it for a few months last summer after he wrecked his truck, most it's been driven in years.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TripleJman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:28 am

Final verdict, to start, 3" lift kit, maybe just 2.5" from liftmeister. Get the z71 back springs, but ??? front spring and also what to I need to level it out? Get wheel spacers as well, or the adapter from liftmeister but whats the difference between those two? Deal with the small tires for just alittle while and wait until around tax return season and get most likely 32"- 33" AT tires. Is there anything wrong here or is that a good start for a first time car owner and offroader? Thanks again I just have questions and questions and questions for those questions but Ill figure it out eventually :hmm:
TripleJman
Cruiser

by TripleJman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:34 am

This might be dumb, but whats the stock tire size for the 02 trailblazer? I know the max without any modifications is 30.5." I just don't want to get too huge of wheels if this car is kind of my daily driver.
TripleJman
Cruiser

by mason10198 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:37 am

TripleJman wrote:This might be dumb, but whats the stock tire size for the 02 trailblazer? I know the max without any modifications is 30.5." I just don't want to get too huge of wheels if this car is kind of my daily driver.
Pretty sure stock is 28" or 29" depending on what year/EXT/whatever
mason10198

Name: Mason

by Trail X » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:20 am

TripleJman wrote:Final verdict, to start, 3" lift kit, maybe just 2.5" from liftmeister. Get the z71 back springs, but ??? front spring and also what to I need to level it out? Get wheel spacers as well, or the adapter from liftmeister but whats the difference between those two? Deal with the small tires for just alittle while and wait until around tax return season and get most likely 32"- 33" AT tires. Is there anything wrong here or is that a good start for a first time car owner and offroader? Thanks again I just have questions and questions and questions for those questions but Ill figure it out eventually :hmm:

Adapters adapt the pattern to a different one and space the wheel out, normally adapt to the standard GM truck pattern. Spacers just reuse the same pattern and space the wheels out.

For a first timer, and assuming you have 3.42 diff gears, 32 is plenty. You'll still be taxing your trans. If you're on a tight budget, just get 30.5s to start. 33s are not recommended on 3.42s.
Trail X
Founder

by TripleJman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:57 am

Alright 30.5" or 31" whichever tire I can find the better deal for when the time comes
TripleJman
Cruiser

by DirtyBacon04 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:25 am

I second James' advice on not using 33s on 3.42s.
I learned that lesson the expensive way.
There's not much 33s can do that 31s can't.
Just know that your speedo is gonna be off by a small percentage and there's no fix since you have an 02
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by Trail X » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:11 pm

TripleJman wrote:Alright 30.5" or 31" whichever tire I can find the better deal for when the time comes

Only reason to use 30.5 is because it doesn't require wheel spacers.

If you get wheel spacers or adapters, size up to 32s.
Trail X
Founder

by TripleJman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Okay, 3" lift now from liftmeister, maybe clean everything up alittle bit and make a custom skid plate with my dad. Soon I'll get wheel spacers and 32" tires. Some time in the future get new shocks and springs. Theres not many good LEGAL spots near me to do anything serious, theres only a few good dirt roads and theres a little mud pit over yonder but not much in my suburbs. The only real offroading places are a minimum of an hour and a half away in the mountains but thanks for everything guys. If anyone finds a good sale or something message me I always want better quality stuff but a good deal can be even better
TripleJman
Cruiser

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

TripleJman wrote:The only real offroading places are a minimum of an hour and a half away in the mountains...

Hour and a half don't sound too bad to me... better than 3.5 days of suicide schedule driving
Attachments
Screenshot_20160318-181406.png
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by TripleJman » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 pm

[/quote]
Hour and a half don't sound too bad to me... better than 3.5 days of suicide schedule driving[/quote]

Maybe I dont have it that bad but ya know
TripleJman
Cruiser

by TripleJman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:45 pm

After more research, getting 3" lift, wheel spacers and 32" tires is 100% what im getting (or very close to.) But I have 2 questions, 32"+ tires can apparently cause some overheating at highway speeds on 3.42 and since this is my daily driver do I have to get a transmission cooler? (or change the gears to 3.72 or 4.10) 2nd question, would any of these be good enough to use for a bit of offroading or should I stick with getting some higher quality stuff in the future

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chev ... mbly,15174
TripleJman
Cruiser

by ColoTB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:07 pm

I'm going to say that you could use a transmission cooler to keep it cool but that won't make it handle the larger tires any better or spin them easier, cooler to keep your transmission cool and gear change to have the power to turn them.

If you have a 3 inch lift and 32 inch tires then yes you can go off-roading. You can go now with it stock if you want. Mine has 225k miles on it and we bought it with 16k. Other than the largest tires you can use without spacers she's still 100% stock and has been off-road often over the last 2 1/2 years since moving to Colorado, before that she spent 10 years in Dallas on the highway and only had the 4x4 engaged for snow/icy roads and a few other times in a muddy pasture at the in-laws. It doesn't take anything to turn that little knob and engage 4 wheel drive.
ColoTB
Cruiser

Name: Kevin
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"