Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

VALVOLINE TRANSFER CASE FLUID

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by larryk » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Ok, so I'm planning on putting my new c
T-case in when I change out my fuel and power steering lines. My question is.....Ive always used the GM autotrak II fluid when changing it in the past. However, went to the auto parts store yesterday... and cane across the Valvoline synthetic transfer case fluid... which, per the label, meets the AutotrakII spec. Far be it from me to question gm, but after this whole Dexos shakedown... I'm willing to try other fluids that meet spec.

Has anyone used this fluid yet? Any comments good or bad?

Thanks
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Diacom » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:28 pm

What Dexos shakedown?

IIRC, autotrak is pretty much the only recommended fluid here. If you search on the topic, it's been mentioned before, but especially doing a 50k service and not running over.

Not to say that the Valvoline fluid won't work, but is the price that much different?
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HawkeyeC25 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:28 am

Stick with Auto-Trak... it's really not that expensive and the tcase doesn't take a lot of it. Not worth the few bucks you might save.
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005

by larryk » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 pm

So the autotrak is BETTER fluid than the Valvoline? Reason I'm asking is because the Valvoline is synthetic..... but have no clue about the GM stuff. Money isn't the issue.... quality is.

Thx
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Diacom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Autotrak II is likely a synthetic blend or synthetic derivative. However, I have been unable to find any supporting data on it thus far.

It's more along the lines of use what is asked for, just like AC-Delco Platinum spark plugs. Sure, others might fit and kinda work, but do you really want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out why it's not quite right, or just use the right stuff from the beginning?
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

Return to Differentials / Axles