Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Hydrolock Prognosis

Something not working right?

by escapepilot » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm

mason10198 wrote:Update time!
I don't know alot about engines, especially servicing them, so as of now I don't really know what to do next with the motor I'm going to use. Gonna start alot of researching soon.

You'll be an expert by the time you're done w/ this project! :mechanic:
escapepilot
Off-Roader

Name: Shannon
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Regulator1175 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:26 am

So, I can tell you after 3 motor swaps in this platform, only one in my Envoy, it is a lot easier to swap the good shit from the truck with the bad motor to the other truck rather than swap motors. Have fun!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by mason10198 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Regulator1175 wrote:So, I can tell you after 3 motor swaps in this platform, only one in my Envoy, it is a lot easier to swap the good shit from the truck with the bad motor to the other truck rather than swap motors. Have fun!

You're probably right, but my "good motor" truck was a wrecker. Plus, I've got all sorts of body-contained mods (and memories) in my truck!

Christmas came in the mail today... 4.56s for front and rear, master overhaul kits for both diffs, and best of all.... E-Locker!! Not to mention I found an EXT at the local U-pull and got the 8.6 out of it!
Attachments
IMG_20170420_131750614.jpg
rearend
IMG_20170420_131137853.jpg
christmas
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bljis123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 am

Hey how hard is it to add a locker to my 8.6 diff? Would I be able to do it, like any special tools or tolerances that need to be followed?

Mine is a beast offroad with an open diff, a good locker and boom, I already surprise the hell out of everyone in the trails.

Sorry Mason for the high jack, I just saw your goodies!!! Hope you get back on the road soon!!!!
Moog 14 springs with Bilstien 5125 shocks sitting on BFG KO2's
2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4x4
bljis123
Off-Roader

Name: Brett
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XL
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Rickalicka18 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:05 pm

mason10198 wrote:
Regulator1175 wrote:So, I can tell you after 3 motor swaps in this platform, only one in my Envoy, it is a lot easier to swap the good shit from the truck with the bad motor to the other truck rather than swap motors. Have fun!

You're probably right, but my "good motor" truck was a wrecker. Plus, I've got all sorts of body-contained mods (and memories) in my truck!

Christmas came in the mail today... 4.56s for front and rear, master overhaul kits for both diffs, and best of all.... E-Locker!! Not to mention I found an EXT at the local U-pull and got the 8.6 out of it!

Dang, that rearend looks way better than mine looked when I first got it! Can't wait to finish up this semester of college and do the same to my rear differential!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress man! :thumleft: Please take lots of pictures!
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by mason10198 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:34 pm

bljis123 wrote:Hey how hard is it to add a locker to my 8.6 diff?

I can't tell you from experience, but it depends on what type of locker you're talking about. If you're just talking lunchbox lockers (lockright, detroit, etc), they don't replace the existing carrier, but rather go inside of it. So as long as your diff is an "open" carrier, you can just stick a lunchbox locker in there and thats it. With an Elocker, air locker, and other carrier type lockers, they replace the entire carrier so you basically have to disassemble the entire diff/axle and rebuild it from the ground up. That includes bearing, seals, shimming, gear meshing, backlash, all that technical stuff. I don't quite trust myself to do the work so I'm just taking all of this stuff to a guy at a transmission shop and letting him have all of the fun.

More christmas came in the mail today... PCMofNC Efan kit! Got sick and tired of pulling that damn mechanical fan off every time I need to work on something.
Attachments
IMG_20170421_202110048.jpg
efankit
mason10198

by KingBird » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 pm

E-fan! I'm jealous!
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by Trail X » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 pm

Did they come out with a new kit? I remember their old dual fan kit ended up failing the Roadie test and was pretty much scrapped afterwards.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by mason10198 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Trail X wrote:Did they come out with a new kit? I remember their old dual fan kit ended up failing the Roadie test and was pretty much scrapped afterwards.

Couldn't tell you on that one. There isn't a dual fan option for the 4.2s. Duals are only for the 6.0s and maybe 5.3s. I was concerned about it being more voulnerable to water damage since it's electric and not mechanical, so I emailed them and they said it would be fine just short of fully submersing it (Flashbacks...)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
mason10198

by KingBird » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:26 am

Fully submersing the entire fan or just the motor? I mean, I've been in stuff deep enough to submerge the fan motor, but if it submerges the entire fan, you're likely sucking water into the motor.

I was thinking of turning a 90 straight out of the throttle body and shooting a very short "snorkel" into the cowl that the wiper motor is in. This would really prevent hydrolock as long as you kept the vehicle moving, but then I figured that once your fuse box got saturated, you're D-U-N done, so, I guess I'll just leave things where they're at.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by mason10198 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 am

KingBird wrote:Fully submersing the entire fan or just the motor?

This is what they told me -
PCMofNC wrote:Hey Mason! Short of fully submersing the blazer, it will be fine :) Both the fan and harness connections are all weatherpack connectors, so you shouldn't have any issues with off roading.
mason10198

by bartonmd » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 pm

The Roadie test that it failed was that it wouldn't flow enough air to cool the engine on low speed, high throttle activities, like 4lo climbing long hill trails.
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by mason10198 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:28 pm

bartonmd wrote:The Roadie test that it failed was that it wouldn't flow enough air to cool the engine on low speed, high throttle activities, like 4lo climbing long hill trails.

Is that outside the boundaries of it's designated "operating conditions"? Because I will most definitely be getting my money back if it doesn't perform as good as it's supposed to.

mason10198

by bartonmd » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:42 pm

mason10198 wrote:
bartonmd wrote:The Roadie test that it failed was that it wouldn't flow enough air to cool the engine on low speed, high throttle activities, like 4lo climbing long hill trails.

Is that outside the boundaries of it's designated "operating conditions"? Because I will most definitely be getting my money back if it doesn't perform as good as it's supposed to.

Not outside of the stock fan's, but most electrics. They literally designed a new kind of computer controlled mechanical clutch for us, at the factory, because there isn't an e-fan that flows as much air as the M-fan, and they needed the M-fan for our cooling load, in the desert heat, with our tow rating, with this little radiator.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by larryk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:14 pm

Hey....first, my condolences on the death of rod#1. He lived a good life...

Anyhow, where are you located? I have an 8.6 out of my ext....all yours if you need it. Granted, it's a 3.42 Open, but still....

I'm near Chicago, but will be heading down my Mike near Indy this weekend. I can drop it off by him, if that works and he's willing
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry

by bljis123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:20 am

So that's what they meant by lunchbox locker. Nice, now it all makes sense. Thank you so much for the reply and valuable info.
Moog 14 springs with Bilstien 5125 shocks sitting on BFG KO2's
2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4x4
bljis123
Off-Roader

Name: Brett
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XL
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mason10198 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 am

larryk wrote:I have an 8.6 out of my ext....all yours if you need it.

Larry, did you miss my username? We've already talked about the axle :raspberry:

bljis123 wrote:Thank you so much for the reply and valuable info.

No problem! That's what we're all here for, glad to have helped! :thumright:
mason10198

by larryk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Sigh...I missed it. AND I didn't read the whole thread seeing you got one anyhow....Lol

It was a long week when I posted the above.

If anyone wants an axle..speak up or it's going to be dropped in a river just to see what a big splash it makes. That would be a total waste....but just sitting in my garage is one too
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry

by TBYODA » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:44 pm

larryk wrote:Sigh...I missed it. AND I didn't read the whole thread seeing you got one anyhow....Lol

It was a long week when I posted the above.

If anyone wants an axle..speak up or it's going to be dropped in a river just to see what a big splash it makes. That would be a total waste....but just sitting in my garage is one too

Larry Dave Vanbramer needs a 8.6" axle, he lives in Bristol pa but if your giving it away it should be worth the shipping cost to him.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008

by mason10198 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 am

Don't worry everyone... I'm indeed still alive! It's been a while and a lot has happened, and I fell behind on keeping y'all updated here... I've almost got the TB completely back together and running with a few big new upgrades. I'll pop up a quick list of what I can think of right now that has happened since the last time I posted, and heres a link to a Google Photos album rather than attempt to upload 500 pics to this forum :finger:

Pulled the blown motor along with its transmission, replaced with 90k mile identical I6 motor and transmission from another 2005 TB
On the replacement motor, replaced all sensors, front and rear crank seals, replaced oilpan (was cracked), cleaned oil sump pickup, replaced rusty old coolant/heater pipes and other exterior hardware, new valve cover and gaskets, new water pump, new crank pulley (harmonic balancer assembly), new idler and tensioner pulleys, cleaned exhaust and intake ports/valves/manifolds, new exhaust and intake gaskets, new coolant inlet/thermostat gaskets, and wire brushed the whole thing (shiny!), yadayadayada...

PCMofNC Efan kit
    New ujoints front and rear
    4.56 gear swap
    8.6 EXT axle swap
    Elocker installed in rear axle
    Added MarkMC 1.5" wheel spacers
    New 35" BFG KM2's
    New fluids in everything
    New 250A H/O alternator
    New Duracell AGM battery
    New 0 gauge alternator to battery cable
    Fresh freon in the A/C
    Made some longer diff breathers and ran them into engine bay
    New headlight assemblies with fancy new silverstar bulbs
    New ceramic brake pads on rear
    and whatever else im forgetting to add.....

New carpet should be here tomorrow so I can start rebuilding the interior, and should be getting tires put on the rims tomorrow as well. Almost done!!
mason10198

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting