Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

CRAPPY LINES...AGAIN!

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by larryk » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:56 am

So, not sure if this is just an issue for us owners in the snow belt ..but I've just had ANOTHER hard line go south on this truck (2004 TB 4.2).

This time it was power steering return line. Sprung a pinhole leak right where it goes over the shock tower on the drivers side...inside that ridiculous rubber thing that holds them. I'll attach a picture of it below.

That being said....I've now had the following lines leak:

A/C (rear line)
Heater line (rear)
Trans cooler (up near air filter)
And now power steering return

I've literally never had a hard line rust through on any vehicle I own, so what's with these trucks???

I guess I should ask the next question....anyone have a fuel line rust through? It's about the only one that hasn't, and I'd rather not find out the hard way it has. I've inspected it, and clear coated them...but still.

On a final note of karma, when I recently updated all the front end parts on my truck (what, two weeks ago?), I thought about changing out the power steering lines as I had it all apart. Even had them in my shopping cart on Rock Auto....but bailed since there was no way a power steering line goes bad...and between them and a cooler, that's another $150. Should have done it.....fml
Attachments
20161107_073956.jpg
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by DirtyBacon04 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Damn. Tough luck. Trucks are like people though... some are assholes.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by larryk » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:18 pm

My truck seems to have a way of mocking me like that. Guess it didnt like its rebuilt front end.....so it decided to give me the big F-U

LOL
larryk
Off-Roader

by escapepilot » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:41 pm

:wallbash: I'm beginning to think all my vehicles hate me. I've got more "free time" at work than at home.
escapepilot
Off-Roader

Name: Shannon
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by KingBird » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:48 am

All the time on my c3 Corvette.

Sounds to me like something got caught in the tubing strap and sat there and wore a hole in it though.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by TBYODA » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:55 am

larryk wrote:So, not sure if this is just an issue for us owners in the snow belt ..but I've just had ANOTHER hard line go south on this truck (2004 TB 4.2).

This time it was power steering return line. Sprung a pinhole leak right where it goes over the shock tower on the drivers side...inside that ridiculous rubber thing that holds them.

From what I have read that a common failure because water, salt and grim just sit in the rubber holder, sucks I know. Good thing you caught the tranny line cause I am pretty sure tranny fluid on the exhaust manifold is what catches these truck on fire since the lines run under it.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by larryk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:32 pm

KingBird wrote:All the time on my c3 Corvette.

Sounds to me like something got caught in the tubing strap and sat there and wore a hole in it though.

Nope...nothing under the rubber block at all. Just flat out rusted through. I guess you can say water/salt must have gotten under it to rust like that...but it was not an abrasive issue.
larryk
Off-Roader

by beavercountyemt » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:15 am

I had the same problem on my 07. Power steering lines went out, then the transmission ones went
beavercountyemt
Cruiser

Name: Ben
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by HawkeyeC25 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:04 am

VERY common in the snow belts. Not sure where you are, but here in Michigan they use so much salt on the roads I'm surprised the deer aren't out in the middle licking it. I bought a brand new 07 Sierra HD, and by the time I sold it 7 years and 100,000 miles later I had put in new trans cooler lines, new fuel lines, fuel cooler, power steering lines, and brake lines. Pretty much every line exposed to the elements >:(
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Truck Discussion