Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

BOOM! Goes my transmission.....

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by larryk » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:13 am

Regulator1175 wrote:Larry, why did you pull the exhaust? I have been able to remove/replace without having the exhaust out.

The downpipe on the 4.2 is literally right next to the trans, and takes up a bunch of space. I never really considered NOT dropping it to make room for the removal/install. Besides, the Helms manual has this as the first step in removing trans :)

I mean, if it has been done without dropping the pipe, Im not one to argue....but it really opened up a lot of space on the right side of the trans....
Last edited by larryk on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Regulator1175 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:55 pm

larryk wrote:
Regulator1175 wrote:Larry, why did you pull the exhaust? I have been able to remove/replace without having the exhaust out.

The downpipe on the 4.2 is literally right next to the trans, and takes up a bunch of space. I never really considered NOT dropping it to make room for the removal/install. Besides, the Helms manual has this as the first step in removing trans :)

I mean, if it has been done without fropping the pipe, Im not one to argue....but it really opened up a lot of space on the right side of the trans....

Yup, I have done 6 or 7 now without removing the exhaust. I identified the same problems with the exhaust the first time that you had, and decided not to risk removing it. Glad to hear that all went well for you. Now that you have a spare, buy a basic rebuild kit from ebay and dig into it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Norcrosski » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:23 am

I also have never dropped the exhaust on 6 swaps know I have it down to 4 hrs r&r on the ground no lift

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Norcrosski
Off-Roader

Name: Andrew
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by larryk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:12 am

Norcrosski wrote:I also have never dropped the exhaust on 6 swaps know I have it down to 4 hrs r&r on the ground no lift

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd say total time R&R on this, including exhaust, was maybe 4-4.5 hours. I spent more time cleaning parts, painting, and replacing bushings and seals.....lol

So, let me ask....WHY so many swaps? Are you in the business, or just a common failure point?
larryk
Off-Roader

by Regulator1175 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:15 am

As for me, I have rebuilt mine a couple of times due to some poor decisions as noted above. I have also done a few transmissions for friends.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by v7guy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:40 am

Matt, there any specific mods you'd encourage and even mods you'd avoid?
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by larryk » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:54 am

Here are mods I have found to be helpful for the 4L60E. Some may not be needed, but I try to go for strength and overkill.....

Corvette or Sonnax 2/4 servo, with Sonnax o-ringed apply pin; beast (or Sonnax) sun shell; 5 pinion GM planetaries (avoid the aftermarket chinese knockoffs!); I use borg warner clutches/bands.... Avoid the temptation to go to an extra plate in the 3-4 clutch pack, it ends up warping the steels, and burning it out prematurely; kolene steels in all clutches; new input drum anytime the band is changed; Transgo shiftkit/seperator plate; GM deep pan with factory drain; updated valve body with TC valve sleeve replaced; .500 boost valve; tcc regulator valve in the pump....and now that I have seen it.....Id suggest a billet 13 vane pump hub too.

Rebuilding a trans really isnt that tough, you just need to have a CLEAN area to work in, take your time, and make sure you prelube/soak all parts/clutches when you install them. Do not want a dry start..... Replace EVERY bushing/seal when you are in there and do not force anything.
larryk
Off-Roader

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40 pm

The mod that I'd avoid, even though I see it mentioned often is the red alto clutches. They are smooth faced rather than waffled like OE, also, in this application, they are thinner, in order to increase clutch count in the same space.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006

by TheHungriGerman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:54 pm

The same thing happened to me and I was told by my transmission shop was the shift solenoids. Filter screen clogged up because my 34 clutch pack was wearing out.
TheHungriGerman

Name: Mike

by v7guy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:39 am

I've been told over and over in the last few months to go with the BW 3/4 clutches and basically nothing else. Bout all I got to add.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:56 pm

v7guy wrote:I've been told over and over in the last few months to go with the BW 3/4 clutches and basically nothing else. Bout all I got to add.

Yeah, the Alto's are smooth faced and thinner than stock.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006

Previous

Return to Truck Discussion