Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Transfer case skid plate

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by HawkTown28 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:57 pm

I had some 1/8" steel sheet laying around and finally decided to do something with it. What I came up with is basically a replacement to the transfercase skid plate that came from the factory on some trucks(mine didn't). I would say that it is a bit of an upgrade compared to the factory one based from pictures I have seen. It mounts using the same three bolt holes that the factory one mounts to, and I even used extruded u-nuts which the factory holes in the frame were designed for. This design definitely isn't something that could handle the weight of the vehicle, but does offer up good protection to the transfer case. Because there is nowhere on the frame to mount to on the one end of the skid plate, it has a bit of flex, but is still pretty solid being 1/8" plate. It's not necessarily designed to go bouncing off boulders, but will take a hit and I feel much safer having a plate under my transfer case than it hanging there wide open.
20150913_175812.jpg

20150914_141756.jpg

20150914_141916 (1).jpg

20150914_141824 (1).jpg

Let me know what you guys think, like I said though I understand that it is not the beefiest skid plate. It is more of a replacement/upgrade to the factory skid plate that is no longer available. And if anyone is interested I could probably make a kit out of this and package it up for sale. Thanks.
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies.
HawkTown28

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Berettaspeed » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:37 pm

I think 1/8 is fine. Unless you are reckless, it should be plenty strong. I bought a nice sheet, and plan on doing something like this, but taking it all the way to cover the tank as well. Mounting will be interesting to make it clean and simple for removal of gas tank for repairs and other repairs if needed.
Berettaspeed
Cruiser

Name: bob
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by The Roadie » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:03 pm

You might consider hardened round end hex recess bolts for mounting, Or weld "rock rings" to protect the hex heads. Whatever hangs down the most takes a lot of bashing.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:39 pm

The Roadie wrote:You might consider hardened round end hex recess bolts for mounting, Or weld "rock rings" to protect the hex heads. Whatever hangs down the most takes a lot of bashing.

^^^ This, I'd knock those bolts completely out of shape in a few month's. Otherwise it looks good and shouldn't turn into a shovel offroad.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by v7guy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:23 am

I built one for Moots awhile back (or maybe it was a transmission skid, I don't remember), it had some compromises but there's a lot of good discussion in the thread. Might wanna do a quick search and give it a look.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Fab Work