Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Custom Brackets for Curved 50" LED Light Bar

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by maricard » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:04 am

What kind of noise isolators did you try? I have the same issue with my bar.
I think the whistle come from the fins. But I don't know yet how fix it.

Last week I had enough snow over the bar that I didn't hear it about three days long. lolll
Canadian's winters have some good points sometime :friday:
_____LESS IS MORE_____

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

My build thread : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5892
maricard
Off-Roader

Name: Marc-Antoine
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Rickalicka18 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:06 pm

I got my noise isolators from here: http://extremeledlightbars.com/rubber-w ... -light-bar

What I noticed they did fix was high speed noise, where I was getting a unbearable ringing noise from the fins resonating. The whistle is compared to a turbo whistle nothing too annoying. I tried taking foam and putting it on the bottom of the bar but still had a whistle. So at this point I'm thinking its the brackets.

Must be nice to have snow.... Maine ain't got shit this year. :hissyfit: Atleast where I am in Maine. I know northern maines got snow though...
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by chazpages » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:23 pm

so, I ordered noise/rubber isolator things and they didn't seem to "improve" the noise coming off the fins, anymore than the rubber tubing I jammed in there.

I Don't really have a whistle noise anymore, but I do have a "wind" noise from the wind going around/under/over the bar.

The noise is better/worse depending on direction of the wind outside. Sometimes the I don't notice the wind noise from the bar, other times its very apparent. It pesters me more than the GF(says she doesn't mind the noise?) but I want to try and attach weather stripping on the last fins to see if I can decrease the wind noise.

My dad came to visit the other day, and was like "WHOA!" at the lightbar haha(he sold me the trailblazer) and was super impressed when we drove around on the dirt roads near my house at night. Definitely staying on, since the minor downsides are far outweighed by positives. As long as we post up various methods, I'm sure we can knock the whistle/wind noise to a minimum.

For the record, I have rubber tubing AND 4 rubber noise isolator things installed currently. Wiring for me is also run down the drivers side weather stripping.
chazpages
Cruiser

Name: Charles
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Anthony Hernandez » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:43 pm

Just make discos for it man....
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Rickalicka18 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Anthony Hernandez wrote:Just make discos for it man....

Im interested, tell me more.
Rickalicka18
Addict

by Anthony Hernandez » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:23 am

Somethin I've been wanting to do for a while actually... Like imagine quick releases for the brackets, an a retractable spool of like 50-100ft of wire or so, you could use it for a whole bunch of shit in a bivouac site... Maybe little feet on the thing that let flip out so it stays upright... Just a thought
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony

by fishcreek » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:03 am

I shoved transparent hose tubing on 1st, 3rd and 5th fins. No whistling or annoying wind noise for me. And I have to insert half inch spacers on both ends between the light bar and the bracket and use longer hex bolt for the EXT trim, not sure if the roof width is wider.
fishcreek

Name: Carl
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Rickalicka18 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Anthony Hernandez wrote:Somethin I've been wanting to do for a while actually... Like imagine quick releases for the brackets, an a retractable spool of like 50-100ft of wire or so, you could use it for a whole bunch of shit in a bivouac site... Maybe little feet on the thing that let flip out so it stays upright... Just a thought

So your talking about a quick release bracket so the lightbar can swivel or completely disconnect and be put somewhere else to light up a campsite?
Rickalicka18
Addict

by Rickalicka18 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:38 pm

fishcreek wrote:I shoved transparent hose tubing on 1st, 3rd and 5th fins. No whistling or annoying wind noise for me. And I have to insert half inch spacers on both ends between the light bar and the bracket and use longer hex bolt for the EXT trim, not sure if the roof width is wider.

different lightbars, different issues I guess. I'm pretty happy with my turbo charged trailblazer right now. Never thought a lightbar could add so much hp.

All jokes aside though, It doesn't bother me enough to want to fix it. Kind of jealous that yours is quiet though...
Rickalicka18
Addict

by HawkTown28 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:45 am

Thankyou everyone for all of the compliments and support, I truly appreciate it. I really was never sure how this would all work out, or if I would even sell my original few sets I made. But With the support and trust of many members, I'm glad that I have been able to hook up many people with Lightbar brackets for their trucks. I enjoy being a part of the community and supplying just another way to make our trailblazers/gmt360's unique!

As for the wind noise/howl/resonance/vibration, it is mainly the lightbar itself, not necessarily the brackets too. The lightbar fins vibrating is definitely the bigger issue, which create that high pitched noise several people have experienced. I had the same issue, and learned through experimentation and research that plastic tubing between the most of the fins is a quick easy way to fix it. As for "wind noise" / "slighter whistle", it's really just the simple fact that there is an object on your roofline that air has to flow over. As I stated in my original post, I tested several positions, and could not stop the wind noise, so I came to terms with the fact that it is just a minor side effect of wanting a lightbar. I've driven in several different model vehicles with lightbars, and they all have the same sort of wind noise. This is all why on my ebay page I include a link to this forum and ask that it be read so that people can read all of your guy's experiences.

I do still make these, and will continue to do so as demand comes. Again, my email is: msrobertjr@gmail.com I currently have 2 sets available, and I can email anyone who is interested the link, or future links. I apologize to anyone that had to wait a while to purchase a set, I do my best to make these whenever I can, and for whoever asks for a set, but Sometimes it can be a while before I am capable of making a batch. I do my best to respond quickly and answer any questions, and then get brackets made.
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies.
HawkTown28

Name: Michael

by DirtyBacon04 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:50 am

A good product idea to think about would be if you could produce a 50" curved visor for under the light to reduce windshield glare. Kind of like what James did but for one continuous bar.
Attachments
20141031_163536.jpg
20141031_163536.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 32605 times
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by Rickalicka18 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Saw a jeep with a lightbar go by today....and when I say "saw" I really mean hear... Holy wind noise and resonating, lol. So happy I have the noise isolators in, especially on a very windy day like this. I also found that tilting my lighbar down a little helps with the wind noise for some reason...
Rickalicka18
Addict

by Poop du Jour » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:14 am

I'd like to get my hands on a set, PM me please
Poop du Jour

Name: Scott

by drew2721 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:44 am

Hello!!

Is there anyway you could make these for a curved 52 inch light bar. I would really like to buy them as i am not finding anything online that will work. TIA
drew2721

Name: Andrew
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Fl_tb369 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:50 pm

I saw that you had these brackets tucked behind the weather strip in that channel. Have you had any problems with the weather strip leaking? Or any wind noise? I made my own set but the only problem I have in south Florida is that when the weather strip fills with water it doesn’t roll down the weather strip, it POURS inside the door. I know it isn’t sealing correctly due to the wind noise, but I can’t figure out how to fix it.
Fl_tb369

Name: Matthew S Jenkins
Vehicle Year: 2003

Previous

Return to Electrical / Radios