Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New Suspension Lift/Spacer Kit

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by nodak » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Roadie, I know you hate these questions but if the rear spring is replaced for a Z71 (GM part #15234633) spring, What is the gain in height and is it a rougher ride in the rear?

Teebes, What are the hieght measurements compared on when your BDS was new and this one? Any issues come up yet to make you think this kit is less qualified then others?
nodak

Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm pretty sure I posted the pure lift height in the initial thread in the OS, but IIRC it's like 1.5". I have BDS spacers on top for another 2" and the Airlift 1000 bags that (depending on load I'm carrying) add another 1-2".

Of COURSE the ride is rougher. The spring rate is higher. Nobody has measured the exact spring rate, and the Z71 springs are progressive where the normal trailvoys are linear, so it's a very, very difficult comparison to make. As to whether it's 10% or 20% or 30% "rougher" or "harsher" or "annoying" or "springier" is not a description I'm prepared to make. I DO KNOW that if you don't use upgraded shocks like the BDS I'm using that were meant for a Suburban that you will be severely underdamped, and that can be as annoying and dangerous as running the wrong springs.

I only hate the question because it's irrelevant to me at least. The ride WILL BE what the ride WILL BE. We need the ground clearance. Desperately. Springs are a great cheap way to get it without trading away a lot of your travel. Spacers steal travel. So do anti-sway bars, under cross-loaded conditions.

Just buy them, put 'em in, and become a test pilot like we ALL were 4 years ago.

Teebes' issue that prompted him to try this kit on some OEM shocks was that his front springs, installed with his BDS kit, had sagged. My fronts sagged a good 3" (!!!) after a few years of abuse. I swapped my springs for some stiffer EXT ones and gained it all back! He didn't have the same amount of time to spare getting ready for a trip, so I passed him this set of Readylifts to try. But the Readylift concept re-uses the OEM upper rubber mount, a known weak spot for hard use. So for the harshest offroad use, the Rough Country and BDS kits are so far the ones of choice, since they replace the upper mount concept with poly bushings in compression, not rubber in shear.

If you're looking for the ultimate in height and adjustability and the shocks to handle heavier bumpers/winches - hold out for the coming Icon coilovers.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Teebes, when can we expect your final write up? :coffee:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Kaju65 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 pm

How's that follow up coming?
Kaju65
Cruiser

Name: Peter
Vehicle Year: 2002

by djthumper » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Kaju65 wrote:How's that follow up coming?

Not likely on a thread that has been dormant for over 3 years.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by The Roadie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:31 am

I'll check in with Teebes by this weekend, but my conclusion after seeing a couple of these kits in use is they're OK for 2WD only. Too much strut extension to be safe for all varieties of CV shafts. Folks that have been successful seem to have their OEM shafts on. The preferred aftermarket Cardones have LESS angle available on the inner CV joint, and they bind up at full extension. Every one seems a tiny bit different. Use anything else but Readylift. Or the evil and criminally designed similar (but larger) kits that show up on Ebay from time to time.
The Roadie
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:45 am

Not sure Cardones are preferred. I hated mine. Worst luck i had do far with a CV.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by v7guy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:56 am

Kyle, you were saying you were having good luck with the Detroit axle rebuilds... is that still the case?
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:51 am

Yes. Solid units. Factory style rebuild for cheap. Still running strong.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by The Roadie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:04 am

Kyle, I'm due for a set soon, but don't see Detroits at Rockauto. Where do you get yours?
The Roadie
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:17 am

Ebay. They are cheap and they have done great. They are reman's and say Limited Lifetime Warranty, but I have not had to test that. I did communicate with them when I bought them a year or so ago and they spoke English and answered my questions. Seemed legit so I tried em and have had no issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-09-DRIVER-SI ... 27c1f6d33c
HARDTRAILZ

by navigator » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:........they spoke English and answered my questions........

that is always a good thing, nothing worse than getting a support guy with a strong Indian accent over a lousy VOIP phone line.(my experience with HP monitors support line)
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:31 am

FWIW...I found the Cardone boots to be weak and easy to tear and puncture. I sought out a place that used factory boots since I godd the most mileage and abuse resistance from them. These CV's used a factory style boot, but I think they had an extra pleat. I would have to crawl under to confirm, but I think Matt or Jason looked at them at Tecore...they may know offhand. Also could possibly in one of the skid plate pics from there or when we made it.
HARDTRAILZ

by jbtb2002 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:49 am

Wow, just read through both pages here, I'm about to install a lift kit on my 2002 TB, anyone still around who posted in this thread?
jbtb2002
Cruiser

Name: Josh Butchko

by Jrgunn5150 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:46 am

jbtb2002 wrote:Wow, just read through both pages here, I'm about to install a lift kit on my 2002 TB, anyone still around who posted in this thread?

They are all still around somewhere. The general consensus is Readylift suck's it. Go with Marckmc theliftmeister.com or BDS in conjunction with Bilstein HD struts for maximum happiness.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:25 am

Here
HARDTRAILZ

by jbtb2002 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:13 pm

Lol, I got the rough country 2" front, 887 springs, bilstein HD struts, z71 springs and bds 5500 shocks, just looking for help assembling the strut assembly, any factory parts used?
jbtb2002
Cruiser

Name: Josh Butchko

Previous

Return to Lifts / Suspension