Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Snorkel build

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by tarsh » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:47 pm

image.jpg

I'll just leave this here... Yes, it's not totally finished yet, yes it is fully functional. Don't hate on it till it's done. Few things needed to be done for this to work for me.#1 getting rid of the biggest washer fluid tank on planet earth. #2 finding a smaller coolant red and relocating it. #3 deleteing my air conditioning. I will post up later on the pulley and what was removed later. For more. The snorkel is at about 70% completion. Needs some small adjustments here add there and to be dressed up but until then this is all I'll show you :raspberry: Between rebuilding my trans getting the tune done deleting my a.c. And finding new tanks and working on this ive been very busy
Take the path less traveled
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

Name: Nathan Schroeder
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Anthony Hernandez » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:37 pm

That's awesome, I can't wait to see the finished product. Good job bro!
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by tarsh » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks. I've got tons of pictures. Only thing is I did a miscut on my fender so I have an ugly to fix lol
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by AA1PR » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:32 pm

nice idea you could always get the top snorkel section off ebay ~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-inlet-Univers ... ad&vxp=mtr

or I thought about a prefilter I think they're called like this ~ http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snorkel-Head-Ai ... 35&vxp=mtr
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Name: Mike
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Trail X » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm keenly interested in some of the details. Why did you have to remove the A/C?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:46 am

Surprised a 3 inch pipe needed all three things removed to fit, but interested in how it all works out.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by tarsh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:10 pm

It's actually a 2.5" pipe. Surprisingly enough it's not that restrictive, I notice very little power loss or mpg, but it is plumbed straight across the engine to the throttle body to minimize restriction. My ram air pre filter has yet to show up so I've been dodging rain like the plague! Lol I still have the big ugly on my fender to fix.... Got slammed with overtime so now I have very little free time to get after it. But it's there and mounted. And you better believe the TB is going swimming when it's done :safari:
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:14 pm

What filter did you use? I looked at a bunch of inline ones and seems several could work.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by tarsh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:29 pm

I'll fill u in after work. Check back in around 7
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by tarsh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:17 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here is the just of it. Very simple it's the specture in line filter. 3" inlet and outlet. That's our factory size so I figured it couldn't be that restrictive to air flow. I only down sized because I thought a 3" pipe would would look silly on the outside of the piller. And most of our trails are tight so smaller and tighter is better. I ran it that way so it could be as tight to the body as possible. I used the same upper mounting point as the other two guys did behind the door seal just above the mirror on the piller. It's actually very stout. Just waiting for that dam pre filter to show up so I can pull it all off and paint . And what not. Only issue is the fender needs to come off to do anything to it.
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:35 pm

Makes sense. My ac has not worked in years anyway
HARDTRAILZ

by Trail X » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:40 pm

I like it except for that upper crinkle bend. What size engine is the filter rated for? I never saw any rated for a 4.2L.
Trail X
Founder

by tarsh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Honestly I didn't look into that james. It cane with an HR cone filter.
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by tarsh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:56 pm

That's exactly why I deleted mine Kyle lol. The pulley was cheap. I had to pull the idler pulley to get the compressor out. I initially don't plan on making a snorkel. I actually was planning on making more engine bay room. Deleting that ac definitely opened it up alot. Then I got both the washer tank and coolant overflow tanks out of a zr2 Chevy tracker and they both fit, taking up less room together than the factory washer tank did.
image.jpg

Cost me a meesly 10 bucks from the salvage yard. The squirter motors are pretty close to the same power as the factory ones... I was half tempted to get two single motor tanks and use the rear squirter for clean water. I still may. The engine bay room now is ridiculous. I can't believe how easy it is to work on things.
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:41 pm

How about some more details there Nathan? What does the hose look like with the fender off? How does it look all finished up?
Trail X
Founder

by bartonmd » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:14 pm

FWIW, once you've got a proven-out concept and dimensions with the kink-bent exhaust pipe, you can order mandrel bent stainless tubing from Summit, and get it TIG welded together, and have something really nice!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by tarsh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:41 pm

That's the plan Mike. I'll take some more pics. I was just Gunna update you guys tonight lol
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by tarsh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Alright, I did manage to get it dressed up. The pre filter is on and it's much much happier with that than the one I made. That pre filter is actually really affective. It's been on for about 2 days now and it's already collecting dirt particles instead of the filter doing it. I didn't read into how to clean the filter or if I even can, this was a "on a wim" mod. I initially started by making engine bay room by deleting every single unnecessary thing under the hood. The clutch fan, all a.c. Crap, found replacement washer and coolant tanks so I could relocate them. The shroud, the a.c. Line bracket, and any plastic minus the one that covers the coil pack wires. So, I pulled my fender... I purchased the scepter inline air filter off of Amazon for 38 bucks. It's actually built really well. I was surprised at the quality. It came with a HR cone filter which I had never heard of, but it does the job. I then purchased a 3' section of exhaust pipe in 2.5" OD. I also got a 90° in 2.5 OD for inside the fender and outside the inner fender well+ a 45° bend for the top, it's almost perfectly level. I tempted in the 3" pipe straight to the fender from the throttle body and mashed the circle... Then the hard part came, stabbing a hole lol. I drilled from the inside of the fender week basically where the coolant tank was straight through with the hole saw. Placed ask the loose snorkel parts in place to get an idea of where everything would land. With the outer side of the inner fender well not showing the snorkel to snug up as tight as possible I had ti make the hole a square. Then I was running into the hood hinge mount and the antenna bracket which I cut a little bit to get that little bit extra tightness.They don't make snorkel in 2.5" OD that I know of and the pre filter I ordered was for a 3", which is the common size. All I did was cut a piece of rubber to size to seal and make up the size difference. Almost everybody has a CAI now and you know that engine roar you get with it?, With that snorkel it definitely is breathing good because it roars at almost all rpms. It honestly feels the same as my old cold air did in terms of acceleration and engine power. I must say I'm very pleased with it. I haven't had a problem yet. I still have the "miscut" in my fender to fix such will be a learning curve in body work for me. And I still need to get a full piece of 3" pipe to go from the throttle body to the inline filter housing. I have one too many connections right now which you will see in the pics I throw up. And yes James I do have some with fever off lol. Over all, it's a really simple Mod for us. It really only took a good 4 hours to do. I'll now throw up a bunch of pictures not in any particular order lol. Please feel free to ask whatever questions you have. As I said it still needs some minor work but ot at work is killing me and mod bug is trying to fight back.
My Build Thread
tarsh
Trail-Blazer

by tarsh » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:53 pm

image.jpg

Here's a nice little front shot of the nearly finished product