Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Panhard Bar Drop Bracket

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by RONVOYO2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:57 pm

I'm sorry I did not take before measurements since it was already established that we were offset to the passenger side. After the installation, and I'm still on stock tires right now with 1 1/2 spacers, I'm measuring 1/4 of an inch inside the wheel well on the passenger side and 3/16 outside the wheel well on the drivers side. Pretty close, just about an 1/8 of an inch out of whack. Just a hair less pull on the cross member should make all the difference.
RONVOYO2
Cruiser

Name: Ron
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by RONVOYO2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Did anybody else notice that I was wrong. Closer to a 1/4 of an inch out of whack. I don't know why I was halving it. senior moment I guess.
RONVOYO2
Cruiser

by ErikSS » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 pm

RONVOYO2 wrote:Did anybody else notice that I was wrong. Closer to a 1/4 of an inch out of whack. I don't know why I was halving it. senior moment I guess.

3/16" and 1/4" are only 1/16" apart. So, you were closer the first time. lol

You mentioned inside and outside the wheel well though. Did you do that on purpose, or is it outside on both sides?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by RONVOYO2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:24 pm

The face of the tire on the passenger side is actually recessed under the wheel well and the face of the tire on the drivers side is outside the wheel well. That's why I was saying the whole rear is a 1/4 of an inch out of whack.
RONVOYO2
Cruiser

by Cable810 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:32 pm

RONVOYO2 wrote:The face of the tire on the passenger side is actually recessed under the wheel well and the face of the tire on the drivers side is outside the wheel well. That's why I was saying the whole rear is a 1/4 of an inch out of whack.

Exactly whats up with mine.... it shifted everything to the left.
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:12 pm

It's supposed to shift everything to the left. It is set up best for us with 3+ inches of rear lift. I have mine through 2" spacers and 1.75" from the Z71 springs. Moots got his through the Skyjacker springs.
ErikSS
Lifer

by RONVOYO2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:34 pm

I still think just a little less pull with the cross bar would make all the difference. I'm going to be busy for the next couple of weekends but soon as I get a chance I'm going to play with adjusting the length of the cross bar and centering up the rear end.
RONVOYO2
Cruiser

by v7guy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:34 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but how can the crossbar be pushing anything around?

There's a bolt through the original mount hole, then there's a bolt mounting the extension to the outside of the stock mount.

That support bar is there to help keep the stock mount from ripping off the frame since the mount is essentially just a big lever. With the 2 bolts on the mount extension in place it really shouldn't move at all and the support bar should just be there to help take the load from the panhard bar into the mount.

At the end of the day the only way you're going to perfectly center the rear is with an adjustable panhard rod.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by The Roadie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:58 am

The issue is not JUST centering at rest height, but attempting to equalize the shift as the suspension cycles up and down from resting height. A Panhard bar that's horizontal at rest optimizes this.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ErikSS » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:28 am

The Roadie wrote:The issue is not JUST centering at rest height, but attempting to equalize the shift as the suspension cycles up and down from resting height. A Panhard bar that's horizontal at rest optimizes this.

Exactly. If we can build the mount and improve the bar we will probably have a better answer than JUST getting an adjustable bar.
ErikSS
Lifer

by Trail X » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:01 pm

v7guy wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but how can the crossbar be pushing anything around?

As the support bar is lowered down to meet the new bolt point for the panhard bar, the support bar's lower mounting hole moves towards the driver side, just due to the arc it travels.

That combined with flattening the panhard bar relative to the axle pushes the rear axle to the opposite side of vehicle center.

Sounds like it's pretty darn close though, if its only off by 1/4".
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by RONVOYO2 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Yes it is close to being centered. That's why I figure if I just oblong the top hole in the cross bar by just a little that will relieve some of the sideways pull on the new bracket and let it fall into the perfect alignment. It's worth a try.
RONVOYO2
Cruiser

by DustinC1989 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 pm

So if the bar needs to be horizontal, could the drop bracket be longer? Or build a riser bracket for the other end of it?
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by v7guy » Thu May 01, 2014 2:49 am

The Roadie wrote:The issue is not JUST centering at rest height, but attempting to equalize the shift as the suspension cycles up and down from resting height. A Panhard bar that's horizontal at rest optimizes this.

Right, I understand that, but it was the primary comment by Ron that at ride height it was kicked slightly to the side a quarter inch. Outside of a Watts link on a live rear axle there's typically going to be some sort of arc through the travel.

Trail X wrote:
v7guy wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but how can the crossbar be pushing anything around?

As the support bar is lowered down to meet the new bolt point for the panhard bar, the support bar's lower mounting hole moves towards the driver side, just due to the arc it travels.

That combined with flattening the panhard bar relative to the axle pushes the rear axle to the opposite side of vehicle center.

Sounds like it's pretty darn close though, if its only off by 1/4".

I understand this too, but I'm saying when you bolt that extension on, the bolts should locate the mount in a precise location, how does the support bar move the mount extension that's bolted in? I assumed the support bar had a slightly ovaled hole and it was just a fluke that the mounting hole on it was ovaled enough that it would still fit at the different angle but these guys are saying the support bar is pushing the extension over. Is there just that much play in the bracket?
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by markmc » Thu May 01, 2014 4:13 am

im thinking of slotting the lower hole and making it adjustable, very similar to how an adjustable electric motor mount base is designed..
That would let you fine tune the center..
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Mark
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Darkrider_LS » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:26 pm

I was just looking at these last night ironically enough....
Darkrider_LS
Cruiser

Name: Chris

by salvo2002 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:54 pm

I'd like to get a Panhard bar drop bracket. Marks website says its out of stock. Not sure how long its been out of stock. I assume I am only going to be able to get one of these from Mark....true?
salvo2002
Cruiser

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Moots1288 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:41 pm

salvo2002 wrote:I'd like to get a Panhard bar drop bracket. Marks website says its out of stock. Not sure how long its been out of stock. I assume I am only going to be able to get one of these from Mark....true?

That is true, I'd say send him a PM
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006

by salvo2002 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:24 pm

I PM'd Mark.

Unfortunately he discontinued it from his product line.... :(

After reading this thread and http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=449, my take is the drop bracket is better than the adjustable bar since it will reduce the angle and allow the bar to be more horizontal at rest.

Anyone know of someone that makes a drop bracket?
salvo2002
Cruiser

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Cable810 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Say What!?!?!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb

PreviousNext

Return to Fab Work