Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear Shocks Paired with RadFlo Coilovers

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:09 am

Here it is boys. What do you use out back with your fancy new front setup?
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:13 am

I am running Skyjacker rear springs and SkyJacker Nitro Shocks. The shocks were a nice improvement over the old wornout BDS ones and paired ok with my previous front setup. With the Radflo they actually seem more balanced and the truck handles very well. i do not find the rear shuttering on the road or bouncing offroad. It seems well planted and predictable.

I would recommend this setup to anyone at this juncture.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by mikekey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:17 am

I'm running worn out BDS 5500s in the rear. They at least feel worn out, which is a disappointment considering they are not more than 2yrs old shocks. I am seriously considering something that I'm sure some of you will probably think is nutty, but hey, this is me we're talking about.

I'm thinking of pairing the Radflo's with 2.25 DirtLogic shocks from FabTech 10" travel, extended length 27.56" and compressed length 17.52

It's that or go the cheaper route of trying Fox shocks or the Skyjackers.

:flex dirty:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Moots1288 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:33 am

mikekey wrote:I'm running worn out BDS 5500s in the rear. They at least feel worn out, which is a disappointment considering they are not more than 2yrs old shocks. I am seriously considering something that I'm sure some of you will probably think is nutty, but hey, this is me we're talking about.

I'm thinking of pairing the Radflo's with 2.25 DirtLogic shocks from FabTech 10" travel, extended length 27.56" and compressed length 17.52

It's that or go the cheaper route of trying Fox shocks or the Skyjackers.

:flex dirty:
I really enjoy the ride with the Fox shocks. Those Fabtechs are a lot of money but don't seem like a bad investment to run with the Radflos
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bartonmd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm

I went with the 33-185552 F4-BE5-6248-H5 Bilstein 5100 Offroad Shock with 255/70 valving, from Low Range Offroad. From the Mfg:

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/productsearch/33-185552
Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Absorbers are high gas pressure monotube shocks designed specifically for lifted pickups, SUVs and Jeeps. The shocks feature a 46mm digressive piston with self-adjusting deflective disc valving. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling or occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional street ride. (zinc-plated steel body, Triple-C-Technology coating )

Having not run the Fox shocks, these are good enough that I can't see the Fox being any better. These are $75 each, too, instead of $115 each for the Fox.

Here is what I did to mount them: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3438&start=40#p74681

I'm also running stock rear springs with Airlift 1000 bags in them (pressure depends on load), and 3" of rear spacer.

As far as performance and mating with the Radflo, they fit very well together! It feels balanced front to rear, whether on pavement, or off-road, fast or slow. I really couldn't ask for a better setup, and I haven't been able to get them hot enough that I think I'd need a remote reservoir. (in fact, they've never been warmer than the frame next to them, to the touch)

Mike
bartonmd

Vehicle Year: 2007

by Trail X » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:13 pm

I haven't been able to find any information about how the Fox 2.0 shocks are valved. I definitely want digressive to match the Radflos, which is why the Bilstein are intriguing.

My 3 year old BDS 5500s have seen better days. The shocks surprisingly haven't puked much oil yet, but I can tell the wipers are getting dry and the bushings are done for at this point.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by mikekey » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:44 pm

JamesDowning wrote:I haven't been able to find any information about how the Fox 2.0 shocks are valved. I definitely want digressive to match the Radflos, which is why the Bilstein are intriguing.

I had no idea what you are talking about:

Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Vehicle Year: 2003

by Moots1288 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:55 pm

The pairing I have now I am completely satisfied with, the BDS Fox 2.0 shock with the Skyjacker c25r in the rear with the Radflo coil overs up front. The truck is very nice and smooth on side rodes takes speed bumps and small potholes great. No banging and the bottoming out is a big shock to the whole truck and the rear just follows no bouncing around or swaying. On the highway when you hit a bumpy rode the rear does bounce more then the front but it is very controllable and nothing drastic, it is barley noticeable. Off road is where I have found the most difference. From wheeling with the 89's and 2.5 lift with bilsteins shocks up front and BDS white body shocks and banging non stop from topping out and bottoming out in small bumps to bouncing in a mud hole. The Radflos and BDS Fox 2.0 have proven themselves multiple times ie. getting airborne, boogieing down switchbacks, running down power lines with no worries. I havent had any bad complaints about my new setup yet, and I am 20,000 miles in and theyre holding up great.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Regulator1175 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 pm

I am running the Skyjacker rear springs and Skyjacker Nitro shocks. The entire suspension was replaced at the same time, so I am getting a good feel without anything already being worn. It is a stiffer pairing than the Z71's and BDS 5500's. I am completely disconnected and notice a significant decrease in the amount of body roll I get on the road. Off road they seem to be a more progressive set up, and absorb the terrain better. I also have better articulation, causing a need for either limiting straps or longer brake lines. I opted for longer brake lines.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:48 pm

So far the bilsteins seem to be the only confirmed digressive valving. I tried my contact at BDS, but never got a reply. I'll shoot him a follow up email. I'd like to revisit this conversation once more before I order up some. Anyone have any additional options, experiences, or feedback?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

Return to Lifts / Suspension