Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

A Message to our Members

Tell us what you'd like to see! Plus... site information, faqs, rules, announcements, etc.
Forum rules
The forum-wide rules can be found here: http://www.offroadtb.com/about/site-rules

by Trail X » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:51 pm

I'm posting this up as a reminder to all of our members of how we expect this forum and our members to operate.

Below is the list of offroadTB's goals, as posted on our About page (http://www.offroadtb.com/about). If you're not familiar with them, please read them over.

• Provide the most comprehensive and accurate information available.
  • Evolve this web site to enhance the user experience.
  • Keep topics relevant to active, functional off-roading and looking towards the future of the platform.
  • Provide its members and guests with an enjoyable environment.
  • Promote, define, and grow development within the off-road and trailblazer aftermarket industry.
  • Promote goodwill between vendors and end-users.
  • Aid users in understanding and choosing proper modifications for their goals.

This is not only the goals of the offroadTB team, but also should essentially be the goals that each of you consider to be your own as a member here. We hold you guys to the same standards you hold us to.

You'll notice that I have bolded a few items above. I find these to be especially pertinent lately, and need to be addressed directly.

First and foremost, why are we here? We were all brought here for a single reason, looking for information. That's why we get new members here daily. They generally want to do the same thing that we all want to do. So lets make it a point to try to provide the best information we can to each other. So often I see sarcastic posts that point someone in the absolutely wrong direction. We need to remember that sarcasm does not translate over text alone, and that sarcasm really doesn't help our mission in technical discussion.

I want to remind everyone that off-topic chatter is absolutely fine in the off-topic area. That's what it's there for. But so many technical threads recently have been taken over by inane bullshit. Now, obviously there will be times when conversations naturally flow to new topics - that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about cluttering up a technical thread when someone simply forgot a "y", or simply replying "READ!" to someone (not to call anyone out). If you're not willing to help the discussion, move on from the thread. You don't need to prove that you know the answer, but aren't willing to share it. You can always answer the question with a link to the pertinent thread and then add something to the effect of "I found this answer in 10 seconds by searching X", or "Before asking any more questions, read all of the stickies" at the end of your answer.

I hope this comes across clearly - we don't need to be soft, but we also shouldn't clutter up our on-topic, technical sections of the forum with useless BS. Lets try to keep our technical threads to pertinent helpful content. Once you add your content, however, feel free to offer up other advice as needed (your grammar sucks, this was easy .

I'm tired of redundant noobie questions too, but those threads end up turning into redundant conversations about how noobie posts are so redundant. We're the ones making it redundant! I'm sure we've all been guilty of this at one point or another, but lets try to hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Again, lets stop plugging up our technical discussion sections with crap, and try to stay on topic as best we can.

Comments welcome.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DustinC1989 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 pm

I've got a Q/A of most the repetitive questions saved on my laptop.
Was trying to piece together all the questions with the correct answers and corresponding links. If I can ever my laptop back from my cousin I'd be glad to post it if its ok.

I know why have numerous threads answering all the redundant questions, but maybe a catch-all answer everything that everyone could link to would help some?
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm

DustinC1989 wrote:I know why have numerous threads answering all the redundant questions, but maybe a catch-all answer everything that everyone could link to would help some?

Idea for this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2028

Never took off. Maybe you can put together a better idea. :)
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by DustinC1989 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Yes, something like that.
Going to try to get everything into one post (if possible)

Started working on it awhile ago and after yesterday decided I should try to finish it.
Being an a$$ and sarcastic (I admit it...) is only going to drive people away from this great site or create foes.

Hopefully a answer-everything post will help some people rather noob or someone that just needs a refresher.
DustinC1989
Addict

by bgwolfpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Excellent!

I think your on to great idea. :)
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Trail X » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:08 pm

If a noobie can't find the other stickies, how is he going to find another one, and how is he going to find his particular question and answer inside the long list?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but lets think through the best execution. Randy, do you want to head up communication with Dustin about his ideas and present them to the SME group for review? Dustin you can still be the author of something like this, but if we want full buy in, I think we should try to figure out the best way of presenting the information to our new users.
Trail X
Founder

by bgwolfpack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:15 pm

I think Dustin should work on this and I'll see if I can lend support. When Dustin is happy with his account of the list and presentation we will show it to the SME group for input.

Dustin, you should PM me with any questions.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by DustinC1989 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:22 pm

JamesDowning wrote:If a noobie can't find the other stickies, how is he going to find another one, and how is he going to find his particular question and answer inside the long list?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but lets think through the best execution. Randy, do you want to head up communication with Dustin about his ideas and present them to the SME group for review? Dustin you can still be the author of something like this, but if we want full buy in, I think we should try to figure out the best way of presenting the information to our new users.

i understand it may just be another sticky, but if they dont search in the first place they wont find any of the stickies or mine.
just there as something that can quickly be linked to questions and contains the other stickies.

as for the long list, im going to try to put the questions in Bold with the answers right below, that way maybe they can scroll through and find the question that best fits their needs

Randy, I will be PMing you in a moment
DustinC1989
Addict

by navigator » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:23 am

the intro thread has links to most of the questions noobs ask.
I expect what happens though, a noob registers and is so excited they scroll through the intro thread and forget about it and in a few months when they start buying parts they forget about the intro post.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 am

That's kind of my point. How is the Q&A concept any different than the "official welcome" thread in that regard? Personally, I'd rather add to the welcome thread than create ANOTHER thread. But my opinions can be swayed with logic.
Trail X
Founder

by mikekey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:12 am

Maybe it's time to just start calling some of us out. Becuase even after this was posted, I can point to examples of members still posting what they don't know about to prove they know something/have something to contribute.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by v7guy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm not sure that calling people out is necessarily helpful either, but when we read wrong info we should correct it and if possible site a source. That's probably the most productive course of action.

The most recent example I can think of is when I was thinking the disconnect engaged at the same time as the transfer case in A4WD and the next post was a correction of the misinformation I presented.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

Return to Suggestions / News / Rules / Questions