Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Metal bumpers etc ideas

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by SteveTB03 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:46 am

So I found out that my best friends girlfriends dad has his own welder, blaster etc etc

So I know some guys here have plate bumpers and tube but what kinda bumper should I make? I was wanting something strong but light in weight something that I'm going to be able to incorporate a front hitch and skid plates on it along with lights of course.

And what kind of ideas do you guys gave for some different metal projects?

I'm just thinking of all the possibilities I have now to do mods!! :)
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 pm

I was just talking to the guy getting my steel for the rear tire carrier and we were talking about building a front bumper and it will be around 150 in steel and 3-400 for labor, so i think it will be easier to adapt something else and make it fit for what i need.

base yours on JD or roadies bumper. that is about the cleanest simplest design for out trucks.

You at least need a solid center to cover frame ends IMO so a full tube is not that great..That was my biggest pet peeve with the stinger bumper I ran. The frame and center stuff all open. I like the tube ends and seeing the tire, but not the frame
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 06, 2010 3:35 pm

HARDTRAILZ is on the same thought process as me. Do you want a winch? If so than why not just start with a heavy duty box (or rectangle) to attach to the frame with room for a winch and you can always add looped steel tubes to it later. There's always room to add lights. KISS :cheers:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by janesy86 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Yea I agree with Hardtrailz, I like the tubes on the sides as well, but would like to have the center portion filled in.

I like Teebes' JK bumper a lot, but maybe a little wider, more form fitting to the TB, but I love his idea to use the one he did. I'd like to eventually get one made like that.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by SteveTB03 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Well I was contemplating a metal plate bumper like jd but I don't really want a winch on mine.

So you guys don't like a tube bumper I take it cuz I can get a 22' of DOM fir 100$ 13/8" with .120 ID

Now I might have seen it before but what kind of plates do I need for a bumper like JD's?
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

by janesy86 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:22 pm

No I really do love tube bumpers, just have the center boxed in, like Hardtrailz said to cover the frame rails and such. But I like seeing the tires and the look of the tubes...
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by SteveTB03 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Now what do you mean boxed in? I'm not understanding that part.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

by janesy86 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Like steel plate covering the middle portion of the bumper so its just not all tube. Gives it more of a complete look in my mind.

P9050065.jpg
(151.94 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Last edited by janesy86 on Thu May 06, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by Gordinho80 » Thu May 06, 2010 4:49 pm

I think what they mean is this....

See how you can see the frame rails in this pic?

Well, that's what Kyle said about doing something to cover the frame ends... so you don't see those unsightly frame rail ends...

Like Teebes' bumper...

Notice how you don't see his frame rails....
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by SteveTB03 » Thu May 06, 2010 5:03 pm

Yes now I see exactly what you guys mean ok well I love the look of the teebes' bumper its nice.

Thanks for the pics!!
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Well all this bumper chat made me decide to play around some before a dropped the hammer on buying a bumper. Trying to hold off, but really wanting a real bumper. So I took the stock piece of shit and hacked off the hoops since they are pointless for me and knocked the lower half of the stinger toy and came up with this...

I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by SteveTB03 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:05 pm

That actually don't look half bad in fact that looks really good on the TB there with the stocker left on.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

by janesy86 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Not bad at all, much better than before I must say. And Mikes radiator skid sets it off nice too.
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 pm

I need to do some grinding and stuff for a flusher fit, but I did push it back under the grill an extra 1.5 inches and I have the stockpiece only lifted with a 1 inch spacer to keep the gaps a bit better. Probably do some clean up and run it for a bit. Still cant find a good mounting place for tow hooks. Just not enough flat area on the frame. Debating on putting my Pro Comp lights in for a bit, but I really want to hit the 4x4 jamboree in a couple weeks and buy something more solid, but I do like this better than plastic or just the reinforcement bar.

I really did it to help give the OP some ideas of what we were discussing. Hopefully it gets some wheels turnign and we get more custom bumpers...maybe even something reasonable to reproduce.
HARDTRAILZ

by Regulator1175 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Looks really good Kyle. It definitely helps show off the radiator skid plate as well! I think you toss a couple of lights in the triangle portions on either side and it would look pretty sweet!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by fishsticks » Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Me likey!

*Gets welder out. Looks around for spare parts*
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by SteveTB03 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:22 am

Oh you guys are definitely got my wheels turning I can't wait until I get the materials bought.

I'm actually making a few designs right now and will be doing a mock up of them so I can se for sure how it'll fit and look like.

Thanks again guys keep the ideas coming if we get some more interest maybe more will go custom.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

by Philberto » Fri May 07, 2010 1:43 am

Liking that a lot, Kyle.

One question though: Why not bend the side tubes so that they follow the front lines more closely? Structural reasons? Or just don't want to mess with it since you're looking for a new bumper anyways? I personally think that you could build a box for a winch and just attach your existing stinger bit to it with a bit of ingenuity and pretty much have your own custom winch bumper, but that's just me. As far as I'm concerned, you've completed the more complicated outer section, you just need to build a strong base for support and the winch.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by madmanvillain » Fri May 07, 2010 2:51 am

thats almost exactly what im planning on building...eventualy...just not a stinger like his just a loop that goes up to protect my radiator and hood and lights a bit
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Name: mmv

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri May 07, 2010 8:47 am

The ends are not curved because I dont have a tubing bender and was just playing with shit around the garage. It was made for a fullsize chev and adapted.

I would not put any of that crap metal from the factory or that stinger near a winch. It is no where near strong. The stinger is stronger than the factory, but the factory part is thin about 20 seconds per side with a sawzall and done. It felt like i could have scored it with and exacto knife and broke it off.

The other big thing is...I am not sure i want a winch. The bumper I am leaning toward is set up for a winch, but I don't have that much need and like the portability of a reciever mounted one. I really consider cutting the round tube support between frame rails and replacing it with a hitch to be able to hang a winch from if needed.

Cutting and welding are not the issues, it is bending anything or folding anything to make a bumper. The metal was quaoted at around 150 plus a few hundred for labor and for that amount I can buy the bumper I like and fab up some mounts.

Still looking around for a bumper that will flow into the skid and look decent with some actual strength. It has been fun playing, but I am wanting a real bumper not that I have tried a couple things and know about what I want.
HARDTRAILZ

Next

Return to Fab Work