Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Metal bumpers etc ideas

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 pm

Tomorrow may center section day if you are bored Mr Barton....
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Mon May 24, 2010 9:34 am

janesy86 wrote:Well you got to keep in mind that the grill on the non 06+ LT's the grill doesn't dip down like the Envoy so I would think it would be different than whats pictured here....

I on the other hand have a 07' LT so it should be similar to yours. But I think it looks like a good fit. I def have to get on this list to get one of these.

Note: Mike, I know Zero asked if you could make holes for fogs, could it be for the shape of factory fogs? Even w/o the bracket to mount em, at least the right shape hole?? Just thinkin ahead since I use my TB for work and got strobes in the factory fogs...

But I'm not apposed to doin some cuttin myself if need be.

You can always just trim off the bottom of your grille... easier than trimming metal.

Don't get stuck on using the stock fogs either... it's probably worth just getting some el-cheap-o circular lights and drilling a hole for your strobe. It'd probably be easier in the long run.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by janesy86 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:52 am

JamesDowning wrote:You can always just trim off the bottom of your grille... easier than trimming metal.

Don't get stuck on using the stock fogs either... it's probably worth just getting some el-cheap-o circular lights and drilling a hole for your strobe. It'd probably be easier in the long run.

Yea good points here... but it wouldn't be to bad to just trim the bumper on my own, my buddy likes doin this type of work. I'd also be very happy if it look exactly like how it sits on the Envoy. I was just pointin it out for frame of reference since the other grills are different and sit flush with the bottom of the lights on the older model TB's.

As for strobes, I was just thinkin to keep em since I already got em all nice and sealed and workin' but I wouldn't be oppossed to changing em out out.

But just got to say again, very nice work Mike! And take all the time you need. Just happy we got some great people on here. :salut:
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon May 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Holding off on the center section til I get a better plan with it. Dont want to screw it up and need to do some figuring on where I really want it. But I did toss some cornering and driving lights to fill the gaps aunder the headlights. El cheapo blazer lights...By the way..how do you get these junkers to tighten down? The bolts just spin in the plastic housings. Tried to keep them behind edge of the bumper and under the headlights to keep them fairly safe.

Some pics...

I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by bartonmd » Tue May 25, 2010 8:05 am

Looks good!
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by bartonmd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:52 am

Got the bumper mocked up on my TB for a bit, last night... Needs to go back about 1.5" more, but needs cut to do that... Needs about 1" more, vertical. I may just leave the flat front part like it is, then do the extra 1" as an angle up to the grill/headlights... I'll see how it looks in CAD when I get a few minutes...

To give an impression of what 1" would add, the safety yellow level is 1" tall. This would leave about 1/2" gap to the headlights/grill...

bartonmd

by janesy86 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 am

That looks pretty good on yours Mike... I'd also have to agree with you on the filler in the back and leave the bumper as is, so it's not any bulkier. :fro:
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by bartonmd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:48 am

janesy86 wrote:That looks pretty good on yours Mike... I'd also have to agree with you on the filler in the back and leave the bumper as is, so it's not any bulkier. :fro:

I'm sorry, I'm not talking about a filler piece of angle iron; I'm talking about angling the top of the bumper up.

Mike
bartonmd

by Gordinho80 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 am

Looking good, any shots of the side, showing gap between bumper and wheel?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bartonmd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:56 am

Gordinho80 wrote:Looking good, any shots of the side, showing gap between bumper and wheel?

No, because as I said, it needs to go back another 1.5", so the picture wouldn't be reality anyway...

Mike
bartonmd

by MrSmithsTB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:57 am

Nice. I wouldn't mind some extra fabrication on the sides to bring it closer to the fender, but that's something that can always get done later.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:59 am

MrSmithsTB wrote:Nice. I wouldn't mind some extra fabrication on the sides to bring it closer to the fender, but that's something that can always get done later.

Kind of trying to walk a line, though... The more big and complex I make it, the more it's going to cost, and the more it's going to cost to ship...

Mike
bartonmd

by janesy86 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 am

bartonmd wrote:I'm sorry, I'm not talking about a filler piece of angle iron; I'm talking about angling the top of the bumper up.

Mike

Ahh gotcha... good idea!
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by MrSmithsTB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:10 am

bartonmd wrote:
MrSmithsTB wrote:Nice. I wouldn't mind some extra fabrication on the sides to bring it closer to the fender, but that's something that can always get done later.

Kind of trying to walk a line, though... The more big and complex I make it, the more it's going to cost, and the more it's going to cost to ship...

Mike

What I mean is that task could be on the customer. Simple bumper is much better for all the reasons listed, and I totally agree. We the consumer could take it upon ourselves to have it altered somewhere, or you could prefab the additional pieces to purchase separately and get welded on. Just some forethought and speculation, ya know? But I'll reserve my final opinion for the final draft..
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:30 am

MrSmithsTB wrote:
What I mean is that task could be on the customer. Simple bumper is much better for all the reasons listed, and I totally agree. We the consumer could take it upon ourselves to have it altered somewhere, or you could prefab the additional pieces to purchase separately and get welded on. Just some forethought and speculation, ya know? But I'll reserve my final opinion for the final draft..

I gotcha now... I don't have a problem with that...
bartonmd

by gotspeed1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:02 pm

You had mentioned additions such as a receiver and holes for fog lights. I'm curious how much room there is between the D-ring mounts and the bend of the bumper, and if that is the intended placement for fogs. If this has already been discussed previously, I'm sorry, I didn't see it.
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

by bartonmd » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:19 pm

gotspeed1 wrote:You had mentioned additions such as a receiver and holes for fog lights. I'm curious how much room there is between the D-ring mounts and the bend of the bumper, and if that is the intended placement for fogs. If this has already been discussed previously, I'm sorry, I didn't see it.

On this particular bumper, there MAY be room, but it's mostly the frame right there... I can do the shackle mounts in farther on yours if you'd like, but I like to keep them pretty close to the frame, where the bolts are... There's room in between the shackle mounts, outside of where a winch would sit, though...

Mike
bartonmd

by gotspeed1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:32 pm

bartonmd wrote: I can do the shackle mounts in farther on yours if you'd like, but I like to keep them pretty close to the frame, where the bolts are...Mike

I agree. I'd rather sacrifice fog lights for the shackle mounts being as close to the frame as possible, and I definetly want to be able to have my winch without anything else in the middle of the bumper. I'll still be able to do auxillary lights. Thanks Mike!!! :cheers:
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

by bartonmd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Which one of these do we like?

BTW, any of you who have done sheetmetal modeling; you know why I have a headache, after looking at the second picture...

9" tall, angles changed slightly, and the edges are 6" up from the bottom

9" tall, angles changed slightly, and the edges are 3" up from the bottom, top 2" of front are at a 45

bartonmd

by Gordinho80 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:44 pm

I like the second...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other