Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Metal bumpers etc ideas

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by Zero » Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 am

It is awesome to see you guys getting some cad drawings together, and making a offroad bumper a reality for us!
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Wed May 12, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks! This one is going to be a PITA, but is a prototype, and is going to be C-H-E-A-P! Because we're cutting cost on this one and staying off the punch press, I used our roll printer to print out a 1:1 of the flat pattern, so Kyle and I can spend the evening cutting it out in metal... Metal shear, plasma cutter, and grinder, here we come!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by fishsticks » Wed May 12, 2010 11:54 am

I, for one, am on the edge of my seat.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Zero » Wed May 12, 2010 1:17 pm

damn this is really happening!!!
Zero
Veteran

by Trail X » Wed May 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Not trying to take the steam away from anyone here, but why not go with a KMA bumper? Just curious. Mike's design is fairly similar. Just gonna be cheaper?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed May 12, 2010 1:33 pm

KMA is trash. You saw what they sent you before being modified. It doesnt fit for shit. Why give them 500 hard earned dollars only to have mike cut it up and make it properly. Better to go from scratch. With poorly made products like KMA puts out, I would rather them go out of business than waste money on them.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by bgwolfpack » Wed May 12, 2010 1:39 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Not trying to take the steam away from anyone here, but why not go with a KMA bumper? Just curious. Mike's design is fairly similar. Just gonna be cheaper?

KMA doesn't have anyone here to speak for there company. Mike is here and speaks very well. Why would a member here not want to buy from Mike first if he offers a product that will be just as good as KMA if he decides to make it that way?

We should support our vender's when we can and if we need there service first. We have some control in what they build and Mike may be affordable but also well made. :cheers: :coffee2:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Wed May 12, 2010 1:45 pm

I also agree, we should support the local vendor if he can compete with a decent price, and make something tht actualy will fit on our truck out of the box.
Zero
Veteran

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed May 12, 2010 1:50 pm

I still cant believe that KMA has the audacity to pretend that JD's bumper is something they produced. You see his pics on their website and then you see their own pics of that piece of shit. JD spent how ever much, but more than I am gonna pay for mine, just to get theirs to the work of art it is now. The fact that they use it for advertising offends me and I feel sorry for someone that goes to their site and orders one based on the fraudulent useage of JD's pics and then ends up with their non-fitting crap that hangs into the wheel wells and just looks cheap.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by bartonmd » Wed May 12, 2010 1:56 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Not trying to take the steam away from anyone here, but why not go with a KMA bumper? Just curious. Mike's design is fairly similar. Just gonna be cheaper?

Won't look as polished, though, up around the body, particularly the sides... It won't, however, stick out 3" too far on both sides, like the KMA one does... This one is actually ending about 1" below the tube that's below the headlights, because that's the height Kyle wanted it...

Kyle is getting this particular bumper for less than half of what it cost you to have your KMA modified to look decent on this vehicle (not counting buying the KMA... Just what you paid Freaky Tree to modify it... Again, because we're staying as much off of machinery as possible, doing stuff by hand, off the clock, etc., and I'm not making anything off of it)... His will also have a better approach angle... The KMA, as you said before, has C's that you weld on wherever the bumper needs to be... If you don't have a ton of body lift, you've got bumper sticking down a bit far... If you don't have a rad skid like Kyle's, this is a good thing... If you do have a rad skid like Kyle's, it takes away from approach angle... The bottom of this bumper goes in between the radiator skid and the frame, so it will affect approach angle as little as possible. As of this point, I don't know how it will look on the vehicle, from a nit-picky point, but we will see... But said and done, it's going to cost him less than buying a 20' piece of 8" C-channel, like he was talking about initially...

Mike

ETA: Thank You for the support, guys! Again, this is a prototype, so we'll have to see how it shakes out... We'll find out Thursday night, I suspect...
bartonmd

by bgwolfpack » Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Mikes design may end up being an inspiration to KMA. One day we may see his design on their site as well. :cheers:

I can't wait to see it. :study:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by bartonmd » Wed May 12, 2010 2:09 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Mikes design may end up being an inspiration to KMA. One day we may see his design on their site as well. :cheers:

I can't wait to see it. :study:

Haha... I doubt it... This one's not nearly as elaborate as theirs... From this one, though, I'll take the measurements and make one to fit mine, without a body lift... That one will be sold, as my wife won't want a custom bumper on the front (and I don't want the weight or aero hit on something she puts so many highway miles on)

Mike
bartonmd

by Gordinho80 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:12 pm

bartonmd wrote:From this one, though, I'll take the measurements and make one to fit mine, without a body lift... That one will be sold...

CALLING DIBS ON THIS!!!!!!!!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by Trail X » Wed May 12, 2010 2:21 pm

As I said, wasn't trying to stir anything up... but it seemed like a logical question.

KMA has told me that they have adjusted their blueprints... apparently customers can choose the old version that sticks out or the new one that is closer to my dimensions.

I agree that Mike's product will be cool. Never a bad idea to bring in new ideas and new resources.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed May 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Yep. I thought of going taller but that is a huge flat area on the front of the truck and going up to the bar below the grill should be enough. Esp once the center section and lights are added. I like Mike's design alot and figure once the basic piece is done, we can fill in any gaps with some thinned sheet metal.
HARDTRAILZ

by bartonmd » Wed May 12, 2010 2:28 pm

That's good, James! I would hope they would have done something by now!

I really am not trying to step on anybody's toes with this, though... Other vendors have been pretty good about staying off my toes... This was originally intended specifically for Kyle, but if people end up wanting them, I'll do them... I don't think anybody on this forum is the "bumper guy", right?

... And yes, since I'm not doing this for a living, I can usually make them cheaper on a low-volume deal like this, than the big names...

Thanks,
Mike
bartonmd

by janesy86 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm certainly keepin' my eyes peeled for this.... along with you radiator skid.

And I would think about the KMA bumper, but like was said, its just too pricey for somethin' that has to be modded to get it to my liking.

I think if I get one these bumpers I'll do like Hardtrailz is planning and chop up my grille guard and make somethin sweet, while saving a few pennies.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes

by bartonmd » Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 pm

oh yeah!! Got the pieces cut out! Now if they can get it bent tomorrow, it should be installed tomorrow night...

bartonmd

by fishsticks » Wed May 12, 2010 9:41 pm

DO WANT!!!!
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny