Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Neilage Fab: Bumper relocation

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by The Roadie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:46 pm

After getting my custom bumper fabbed a few years ago by somebody no longer in the business, and vowing I would NEVER get a body lift due to center of gravity worries, I changed my mind. Had to, after the state of the art being a moving target, and the lack of ground clearance ONLY being fixable (in part) with larger than my former 32" tires. So I put on a Zone Offroad (formerly sourced by BDS) 2" body lift. And tires, and so forth.

But the 2" gap above my front bumper was a horrible annoyance I was reluctant to fix while still out of work. But Neil worked with me and got an affordable mod project done yesterday. Thanks, Neil!!!!!!

Original bumper with mounting sleeves that go over frame rails

Frame:

Cutting starting

Laying out new sheet stock for cutting

New lower box tacked on

Finishing up welds

New boxes on

DONE! Now have to go measure approach angle improvement.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Philberto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 pm

My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Dang it, Bill. You're always staying a step ahead, aren't you. Well done! :cheers:

While you're measuring the increased attack angle... can you compare the fuel economy and roll-over incline from before and after the body lift? :raspberry:

And... uhh... where's your original bumper design/build thread? Shouldn't you migrate that data over here? :angry whip:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Cool!
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by janesy86 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Sweet! Neil certainly does some nice work...

Also Roadie.. a bit off topic but do you know if Teebes' bumper is done or not? I've been talkin with Neil bout a rear tube bumper but he needs a TB to work with/measurements... Man I wish I lived in SoCal, been wanting to for quite some time now.
Last edited by janesy86 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes

by wswensonjr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Great job.. Was wondering how far down does the radiator stick now? We don't want to hit the ground with that first..

Can't wait for my custom bumper.. :drool3:
wswensonjr
Cruiser

Name: Walter Swenson Jr
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Philberto » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:06 pm

janesy86 wrote:Sweet! Neil certainly does some nice work...

Also Roadie.. a bit off topic but do you know if Teebes' bumper is done or not? I've been talkin with Neil bout a rear tube bumper but he needs a TB to work with/measurements... Man I wish I lived in SoCal, been wanting to for quite some time now.

If you'll front the cash, I'll rent a car for a few weeks. Have to deliver a new car to San Diego sometime this week probably anyways. :raspberry:

But seriously, if you want one that bad, I'm more than willing to let him work on mine. Just broke at the moment.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by janesy86 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Haha.. Thanks for the offer but I'll have to decline. For the $$ that'd cost me I might as well find someone around me to do it, but Neil's offer is to good to pass up, plus all the work I've seen of his on here is amazing. So for now I'll wait til Neil can find a TB or if Teebes has to go back for more fab work, I'm not needing the bumper, just want it.

Plus there aren't too many offroad shops in my area. :slap: Man do I need to move out of the city and back home to the sticks...

Now back to the regularly scheduled programing..
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes

by bgwolfpack » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:25 pm

Very nice Roadie. Neil does some nice work, he's a real asset even for the rest of us. Well done.

So I conclude you won't be trading up to that 3 inch body lift? :poke: :raspberry:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by The Roadie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:46 pm

JamesDowning wrote:You're always staying a step ahead, aren't you.
Nah, I'm far from state of the art in ground clearance, but I don't care as much now I've got the gas tank armor.
And... uhh... where's your original bumper design/build thread? Shouldn't you migrate that data over here? :angry whip:
Yeah. Recent events have we worried more than ever about the OS. But if you take a look at the thread that has a roll call of the lifted ones, I believe it's longer than the ones who have gone lower. Not that the lowered crowd is at all as organized as the offroaders. Har.
bgwolfpack wrote:...you won't be trading up to that 3 inch body lift?...
Oh, my goodness, I see no point in that last inch, but that's a real lightning rod for heated discussions. No thanks.
wswensonjr wrote:Great job.. Was wondering how far down does the radiator stick now? We don't want to hit the ground with that first..
The radiator is pretty exposed, and I'll take some measurements. But I had to get the bumper moved up first to make it the proper height for additional skid plate and tube work, like Neil was doing for Teebes.
janesy86 wrote:Also Roadie.. a bit off topic but do you know if Teebes' bumper is done or not?
Far as I know, it's only partially done. Gotta get a report from him. Mine needs skinning as well, but I think I'm going to mock that up with foam-core first.
The Roadie
Founder

by CHIEF BIG RIDGE » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:01 am

Wow that looks mean. Great job Neil and Bill. :thumleft:
Andrew
CHIEF BIG RIDGE
Off-Roader

Name: Andrew
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Zero » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 am

I wish someone made a 1" body lift so I could have just enough room to fit rock sliders. I still need to fit into most under grounds. But then again, now I have my motorcycle.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by NeilageInc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 am

Thank you guys again for all the appreciation. It all helps Rick and I keep coming up with ideas and producing the parts you guys need. Till the next episode. You guys can also go to Our website for more pictures or products. The link is listed below. Thank you, Neil.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge

by vagator » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Bill,
Everytime I see that bumper I get excited. As a fellow Envoy drive would you be willing to share the cad drawing with Neil to cut and weld up a second one of those Roadie approved bumpers? Shipping would be a grip to the east coast, but until KMA makes one for the Voy, I'm a bit out of luck.

Of course I'd have to talk to Neil as well to get an idea of the cost, but his work is impressive.

Cheers,
Chuck
vagator
Cruiser

Name: Chuck

by The Roadie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:02 pm

I don't own the final CAD, and the designer is willing to sell it for $200. But Neil could also reverse engineer mine, and he could give you a price for sure. He certainly knows it inside and out by now.

And he could simplify it a LOT if you didn't want it reinforced internally like mine for 20,000 pounds of winching force (9000 pound winch but the force is doubled if you use a snatch block pulley and reconnect back to a shackle ON the bumper.
The Roadie
Founder

by vagator » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:19 pm

I filled out the contact form on Neilage with my request. I'll be looking for quote for a bumper similar to the king of trailvoy offroad, Roadie. We will see... In this last snowstorm my Curt front hitch really worked like a plow in the deep snow, its always been an approach hindrance, I ready for a new bumper.
vagator
Cruiser

Name: Chuck

by Zero » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:42 am

Im sure Neil will be very happy to get your request. he does great work. Makes stuff just how you want it.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 13, 2010 12:37 am

When moving it up, did you change the reciever mount at all since it looked like it was made to go around the stock frame tube?
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by The Roadie » Thu May 13, 2010 1:18 am

Didn't touch it, since the curved cut was on the top side of the frame tube. Now there's an unnecessary gap. An unintended side effect was a way too narrow gap now to get my hand in there from underneath to install the PIN to hold the Warn Multimount in the receiver. I had to do it with tongs. Gotta get a better access somehow.
The Roadie
Founder

by Trail X » Thu May 13, 2010 12:35 pm

The Roadie wrote:Didn't touch it, since the curved cut was on the top side of the frame tube. Now there's an unnecessary gap. An unintended side effect was a way too narrow gap now to get my hand in there from underneath to install the PIN to hold the Warn Multimount in the receiver. I had to do it with tongs. Gotta get a better access somehow.

Tongs? You must have Jedi-steady hands.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

Next

Return to Fab Work