Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Possible change to Vendor, gauging interest in roofracks.

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by bgwolfpack » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:47 pm

That ramp appears to be aluminum stock (hollow). Too light IMO. I feel you would be better off devising a roof rack rather than a base for a RTT. Make the rack sturdy enough to use as a base, then other options can be ordered as needed.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:56 pm

I just don't see that the stock will be a problem, though I'll certainly get my hands on a ramp before purchasing one. The ramp has a 1250 lbs weight capacity, so as long as I mount it solidly, I should be good. Also bear in mind that the ramp is designed to support that weight while only being anchored from front (truck bed) and rear (ground). I anticipate there will be a minimum of six anchor points in my design.

Also, why not design the rack as a base for an RTT? The only alternative we have is either just using cross bars, in which case we have no forward storage for anything, nor storage for Hilift and Shovel, or using something like the EXP Rack from Bajarack, which would be fine if it wasn't steel and $500 or so.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by Trail X » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:00 pm

You may want to check out an aluminum framing system, such as this one: http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-extrusions/=5msk5a Or this one: http://www.8020.net/

We use a ton of the 8020 stuff here at work.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bgwolfpack » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Phil, I think we turned down different trails, sorry.

My thought is have a base that bolts to the truck so other versatile units can be anchored to it. It does need to be space age material, hell go down to Goodwill and buy a single bed frame that's welded, great base to land to. Pricey to ship though. :coffee:

James, IMO price should be a factor. So, what's the on factor for material cost? I doubt Phil will be buying enough lineal feet to warrant an answer.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Looked at the extrusions, a little pricey for my needs, and then assembly is required. For the sake of time and my sanity, I see no need to reinvent the wheel when there's a tire shop down the street. This idea has been tried and tested, and as per your concern, wolfpack, Aluminum isn't exactly "space-age material" as soda cans are made out of it. It's simply light, strong, and rust-proof for all practical purposes, so I think it's perfect for this application, and by using the ramp as a base, I'm saving a lot of money and time. People can, and have, been using scrap steel for their roof racks for some time, but I'm looking for something different.

And if a RTT isn't your thing, then I can always go with something a little smaller, and obviously, a little cheaper. The main reason for my interest, first and foremost, is my own practical needs. And if I can help the community by producing a product that can fit their needs, then so be it. I think I'll be able to come up with a modular system whereby the mount (most likely to be one variety) can match up with different-sized bases, which can accept different accessories such as side rails, antenna mounts, spare tire mount, light mounts, air dam, limb riser hooks, etc. The mount will be the hardest of these things to come up with, so I'm going to start there, but if you have a different size platform you would like, please let me know and I can design two separate platforms to go on the same mount system.
Philberto
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:32 pm

I have a trifold one in the garage. i guess when it warms up and I take mine off to change the crossbars, i will throw it up there and see if I like it better.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by bgwolfpack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:39 pm

Phil the RTTs, they must come with a frame and if they do, do they have a flooring in them. I think your idea of using the ramp, especially for the tent is a good one but won't it limit the storage area?

The key to this IMO will be how you end up mounting this to the truck. It will need to be really strong for people to be climbing in and out of it, right?
Will you sell a ladder also? Or do they come with the tent?

So, you got this thing built yet? :poke: :happy whip:

Kinda anxious to see what you come up with and pricing. :lurk: :coffee:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Trail X » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:50 pm

Roof top tents generally have a plywood (or other, depending on the tent) base to them. But they always have a floor. They can be minimally mounted to two cross-bars, such as the Yakimas. They require no additional flooring and they come with ladders.

By the way... Randy... what are your ultimate plans?... are you going to do one huge conversion all in one bang?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bgwolfpack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:17 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Roof top tents generally have a plywood (or other, depending on the tent) base to them. But they always have a floor. They can be minimally mounted to two cross-bars, such as the Yakimas. They require no additional flooring and they come with ladders.

By the way... Randy... what are your ultimate plans?... are you going to do one huge conversion all in one bang?

Yes :finger:

For me the excitement is in the discovery and in the process not the end result by a matter of circumstance not of my own design. :cry:

I only hope I add to the collective and not distract from it.

Where are the freakin Smiles?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Haha, slow down there a bit Randy. My ability to build is limited both by time and money, but rest assured i'm as eager as you, if not more so to see this thing take off. plan on seeing a basic cad concept later today.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Very much looking forward to your CAD work. (It's about time) :happy whip:

It will be cool seeing you bring something to market. Your ideas linger on interesting. :coffee: :idea:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Working on the model now. Still not sure what I'll be able to do for the sunroof guys to give them a nice view out of the sunroof, but that's another issue.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Ya know I think it might be cool if you had a place for a spare tire, in a recess, on your rack. If you choose to put it right where the sunroof is, it wouldn't bother most of us. Ha Ha
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 pm

Okay, using the information at hand and measuring my own car, here is what the mounting configuration could be using only the stock holes in the roof. The roof surface is gold, the sunroof interference reference shape is brown, the rack is aluminum, and the crossbars are red for high visibility. I think I'll have to reinforce the front area, but that will entail either a rubber-tipped leg resting on the roof (a possibility) or drilling holes in the roof. I do like, however, how the most heavily-loaded part, the rear, has existing holes to allow me two crossbars back there. The crossbars are 1.5" tubing, which can be scaled as needed, and the bottom of the rack is actually at the same height as the top of the factory rails. The rack sits 3 inches further forward to make room for rear aux lights, is a total of 6 inches longer than the factory rail system, is 2 inches wider than the existing rails, and the front of it is 11 inches from the upper part of the upper windshield moulding. With the sunroof tilted, there should be at least 7/16" clearance to the rack bottom, and there is no interference whatsoever from the front crossbar.

roofrack iso.jpg
(233.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Thoughts?

ETA: You could mount either a spare tire or RTT on the rear, and according to my measurements, you can mount a RTT on the rear and still have enough room in front for jerry cans if you want.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:07 pm

Well that seems to fit very nicely.

Will you be setting up a CAD drawing showing side rails?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:17 am

bgwolfpack wrote:Well that seems to fit very nicely.

Ummm... wasn't actually thinking of using side rails... going to mount the crossbars directly to the roof using the holes left by the factory rails.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:21 pm

Philberto wrote:
bgwolfpack wrote:Well that seems to fit very nicely.

Ummm... wasn't actually thinking of using side rails... going to mount the crossbars directly to the roof using the holes left by the factory rails.
Not what I meant.

Will you be placing some type of outside border to at least a portion of the Ramp/Roof rack.

Epiphany! Roadie could always use your Roof rack as Ramps! :woot:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Oh, I get what you meant. Yes, eventually, I will. I just want to figure out the base first and get one mounted before fussing about side rails. Plus, side rails will all be fabricated, not premade, so I'll need to figure out what that'll cost. I'll also need to figure out what height, etc. I think I've actually seen some roof racks where the floor was bridging ladders, but these ramps will only hold 1250 lbs... definitely short of what a roadiemobile weighs. I have other plans for my eventual purchase of bridging ladders anyways, and can only point you to the camel trophy vehicles for a hint on that... I think it was 87 or 88...
Philberto
Lifer

by Philberto » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:39 pm

Anybody else wanna chime in? currently I believe this is a 4-person thread, would like more input if it's not too much trouble.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Philberto wrote:Anybody else wanna chime in? currently I believe this is a 4-person thread, would like more input if it's not too much trouble.
OS time for this subject Phil?

I know you'd get some bright ideas over there. :wallbash:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Fab Work