Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear Cargo Storage Drawer

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by bgwolfpack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Yeah, I'm sure you could sacrifice some room for it, although you need to remember its cooling needs. Converters have been spoken of on the os but this site is where the insight rests.

We need to tread lightly in regards here to anything that isn't defined as off road needed. Most will follow a posting with help intended but you also may peek the interest and disdain of a certain tyrant. :viking:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:Are you speaking of a 110 converter for running things like a refrigerator while off road? :scratch:
The offroad-capable fridges we use can take 12V. Not the dormitory toys.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:20 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:... a certain tyrant...
Hey! Do I smell the blood of a noobie-man?!?

Seriously, big amps and speakers have their place, but I can't afford the reduction in cargo volume when I'm trying to live out of the vehicle for a week without going for resupply. But 110 inverters are very, very useful, to run NiMH battery chargers for the things that take AA and AAA cells, laptops, and cell phone chargers. I've had cigarette lighter cell phone chargers break, so I always carry the AC versions too.

I can't pretend that my needs are the same as yours for weekend trips. I've mellowed.

But don't tell. Please? :|

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:26 pm

The Roadie wrote:
bgwolfpack wrote:Are you speaking of a 110 converter for running things like a refrigerator while off road? :scratch:
The offroad-capable fridges we use can take 12V. Not the dormitory toys.

I suppose now you'll tell us we don't need to figure out how to get 220 out of the truck to run a compressor. I thought mine would fit on a trailer like Teebes. Should be enough room, no?

See this is the way it starts with the 'Pirate'. Seems sweet enough, then POW!!!

Watch and see. :(
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by cbbryan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:43 am

After seeing the idea to put speakers in the angled space between the drawer and the seat back I have reconsidered my build, especially since I haven't been able to sale my sub, box, and amp. I was doing some reasearch this morning and found out that if you plan on building your own spearker box it is best to use MDF. MDF is more dense and will resonate less than a standard sheet of plywood.

So my new plan is to make the originally designed drawer cabinet concept out of 3/4" plywood and then make a ported 5/8" MDF housing for my sub to sit recessed inside the angled space. I will cover each box with automotive carpeting which should cut down on vibrations between the two boxes. I will be using the box I already have (Fierce Audio) as a model and maybe for wood as well to cut down on cost. Not quite sure where I'll put the Alpine amp yet, may mount it on top of the whole thing.

This is the site where I found the information:www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/Build/ I found this to be helpful, hopefully we can all get our stuff started soon If we haven't built already.

James, not sure what you are going to do with your angled spaced, but if it involves speakers you are on the right track and you didn't over do your box.
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by A-Train » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:10 pm

I just wanted to use the angled back space of the box to put my alpine amp to hide it away...not for speaker space...the 110 converter sounds like a good idea. I think the should both fit it the one space.
A-Train
Cruiser

Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:00 am

Update to the mounting system, see the second half of post #1 in this thread.

I think I'll have to start a new thread for the other half of this update... hopefully that will be finished later next week.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by MrSmithsTB » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:18 am

Damn, tough guy. Ease up on the roids. Nice, fix, though. :fro:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD