Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Another Rear Bumper Fab Thread

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by mason10198 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:25 pm

I've been wanting to start this project ever since I finished by front MDB bumper. My plans are to have a class 3 receiver, shackle mounts, reverse lights, licence plate, and a hinged swing out for spare tire, jerrycans, and Hilift. Might throw in some kind of fancy hole for a backup camera, but probably not. :hmm:

I'll have the extra obstacle of designing for a 3" body lift, and I want to do so without making it look super uneven and blocky. What I've been considering is just taking Barton's design (below) and extending the height of everything above the main structural body of the bumper by 3 inches to fill the gap.
8.jpg

I also thought about taking the bumper's frame (below) and somehow raising it up 3", kindof like how theliftmeister 3" BL rear bumper brackets work, but that would raise everything including the receiver and probably lose overall rigidity.
1.jpg

I have a CNC plasma table and a new 240v multiprocess welder so I should have everything I as far as building it. I'd like to have a nice model of this before I build it, and if I'm going to use the plasma table that's going to be a must anyways. I have an Autodesk license, so I'll be using Fusion360. I've never done any sort of 3D or CAD design work before, so if you have and you're reading this PLEASE bear with me! :lol:

I've made it as far as modeling the frame of the bumper, where it will mount to the frame of the truck and then be built out from there. Stay tuned....
bumperframe v2.png
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:53 am

Looks like fun. I design in 3D just about every day here at work. Looks like you're making good progress.

The way you have your hitch tube doesn't look like it will be able to accept a normal hitch, looks too shallow. Might want to consider just welding your hitch receiver above or below the cross tube. It'd certainly be easier. Also, I'd recommend buying a receiver tube instead of making your own. Receiver tube doesn't have the weld seam inside... and believe me, that stupid weld seam will get in the way and you can never really grind it down.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Did you look at the rear bumper he did on mine for the 3 inch body lift? I think he had some pretty good documentation on it.

The receiver goes in to a 3x3 not a 2 inch so it passes all the way through. The shackle mounts are not on the hitch but cut out and slid through the outside so it is welded on both sides.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by mason10198 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Trail X wrote:The way you have your hitch tube doesn't look like it will be able to accept a normal hitch, looks too shallow. Might want to consider just welding your hitch receiver above or below the cross tube. It'd certainly be easier. Also, I'd recommend buying a receiver tube instead of making your own. Receiver tube doesn't have the weld seam inside... and believe me, that stupid weld seam will get in the way and you can never really grind it down.

Yeah, I would buy one and not try making my own. I was trying to model Mike's design in the 2nd pic.

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Did you look at the rear bumper he did on mine for the 3 inch body lift? I think he had some pretty good documentation on it.

Whoops! I must have totally missed that thread, I didn't think we had anything on a BL'ed rear bumper. Anybody got a link to that? I'll keep looking for it.
mason10198

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Last edited by Trail X on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update link
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by mason10198 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Much appreciated, thanks!
mason10198

by Trail X » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Kyle, where did you copy that link from?!?! It's referencing a backdoor address for some reason.
Trail X
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 am

I went in and searched up top. And it was about 20 pages back. Not sure why it came through that way.
HARDTRAILZ

by Trail X » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Very odd, I fixed the reference. If you can recreate that, PM me exactly the steps you took and where you went and clicked. I couldnt replicate it.
Trail X
Founder

by ErikSS » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:05 pm

The rear bumper that I made is now with Cody Merle. (still want it back) I used the pictures from when they built HardTrailz as reference as well as some good advice from Mike himself. It's not overly complicated. You'll find you don't have a lot of options once you get started.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by mason10198 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 am

Teasers from the phone camera until I have time to post something decent...ImageImage
mason10198

by tsmith1156 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:42 pm

mason10198 wrote:Teasers from the phone camera until I have time to post something decent...

Can’t wait!
Last edited by mason10198 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redundant IMGs in quote
tsmith1156
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler Smith
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mason10198 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 pm

I will be basing most of this from Barton's build of the 3" BL rear, which CAN BE FOUND HERE. Of course, it wont be exactly the same, mostly because my fabrication skill level is about 0.07% of sir Bartons. I'm going to be building a single swing type as opposed to the dual swing design since it will be easier to build. So far I've got the bumper's frame welded up, and that includes mounting rails (3x3x3/8" angle), mounting nuts tacked on, main cross-tube (3x3x1/4" square tube), and the receiver tube. I added a fourth mounting bolt on the bottom of each frame rail for piece of mind. So, with (2x) 3/8" brackets each mounted with (4x) grade8 5/8" hardware, I don't think its going anywhere. Oh, don't forget the loctite! Also, I followed Mikes shackle mount process detailed HERE for welding these main structural assets of the bumper. As it stands, this should be a class IV receiver.
Attachments
DSC_4072.jpg
DSC_4069.jpg
DSC_4066.jpg
DSC_4064.jpg
DSC_4062.jpg
DSC_4058.jpg
DSC_4052.jpg
DSC_4051.jpg
DSC_4049.jpg
mason10198

by Trail X » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 am

Looking forward to seeing this take shape. The start and the finish are generally the longest, so I expect to see some good progress here soon. What's your plan for the swing arm. Spindle, or heims?
Trail X
Founder

by mason10198 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 am

Trail X wrote:What's your plan for the swing arm. Spindle, or heims?

I'm going to go spindle, probably something from comp4x4 or EMS. Just have to decide how I want to do it since there are a few different types. I think I'd rather use a dual shear for a little extra strength. I need to find some different tubing to make the arm out of, right now I have 2x4x1/4" and after picking it up to get it out of the back of the truck I think it's WAY too heavy for what it's going to be used for. Need to go down a thickness or two, someone tell me if I'm wrong.

I got the plasma cutter in, and spent today getting it interfaced with my parallel system and making all the necessary connections for use with the CNC table. Cut out circles for a couple hours trying to get the fine-tuning good enough to cut at least straight line shapes for the bumper. Should be ready to start eating through sheet as soon as I figure out what I want to cut out.

I'm back at school now, so I can really only work on this for a few hours on weekends which sucks. It'll be slow going but I'm gonna get it done eventually.
mason10198

by Grimor » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:14 pm

I go back and forth between cutting the back frame and raising it the 3" to not use the lift blocks behind the rear axle, and putting in a deep floor pan in the back of the TB and use the 3" under the body for storage.
Grimor
Trail-Blazer

Name: Dennis
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mason10198 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:59 am

The latter is a bombin idea. Storage for the win, amirite?
mason10198

by Trail X » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm

I don't think dual shear is necessary. I got the single shear from EMS and its been solid.

That tubing does sound stout. I want to say mine is 1/8" or possibly 3/16", so your plan sounds right.

Dennis, can't you find a way to do both?
Trail X
Founder

by mason10198 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:53 pm

Bit of progress from this past weekend. Still taking measurements here and there and figuring out angles to get the main body together. Attempting to add to the Fusion model as well.ImageImageImageImageImage
mason10198

by TBYODA » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Nice looking forward to the progress!!
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Next

Return to Fab Work