Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

EwingJK's Front Bumper and Skidplate

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by EwingJK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Well I finally got the radiator skid plate fabbed and installed. I had to hold off installing it until I renewed the vehicle registration. It seems that Abu Dhabi in it's fickle manner decided that modified vehicles are a bad thing. I had to put my old bumper back on to pass the inspection. Of course, it was banged up pretty bad from too many sand dune impacts. I almost failed again because the technician complained that "it looks not so good". I reminded him I had a perfectly fine steel bumper but they made me change it. Then they nearly made me take out the lift kit, but I convinced them that the bottom of the rear fender was still below the midpoint of the axle.

Anyway, about the skid plate. I drew it up, and a large local metal fabricator that has a multi-million dollar contract with our project fabbed and installed it for me. I specified 1/4" aluminum, but they used 4mm instead. I can't complain though, since they did it for free. I decided to give the skid plate a try. If it doesn't stand up to the task, I'll have then make a thicker one.

Thanks for your help James.
Attachments
100109 - 02 - Radiator Skid Plate - Web.jpg
(82.61 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
100109 - 09 - Buttoning It Up - Web.jpg
(88.3 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
100109 - 12 - Finished - Web.jpg
(86.24 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Last edited by Trail X on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split the topic
EwingJK
Cruiser

Name: John Ewing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Philberto » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:07 pm

EwingJK wrote:Well I finally got the radiator skid plate fabbed and installed. I had to hold off installing it until I renewed the vehicle registration. It seems that Abu Dhabi in it's fickle manner decided that modified vehicles are a bad thing. I had to put my old bumper back on to pass the inspection. Of course, it was banged up pretty bad from too many sand dune impacts. I almost failed again because the technician complained that "it looks not so good". I reminded him I had a perfectly fine steel bumper but they made me change it. Then they nearly made me take out the lift kit, but I convinced them that the bottom of the rear fender was still below the midpoint of the axle.

Anyway, about the skid plate. I drew it up, and a large local metal fabricator that has a multi-million dollar contract with our project fabbed and installed it for me. I specified 1/4" aluminum, but they used 4mm instead. I can't complain though, since they did it for free. I decided to give the skid plate a try. If it doesn't stand up to the task, I'll have then make a thicker one.

Thanks for your help James.

Looks awesome and all, but I think this belongs in another thread. Maybe one of the mods would kindly move it?
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Very jealous. I would build my bumper to match if i had one your skidplates.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Looks great! Amazing... free?!

I love that bumper too.

By the way, why did they cut off the top corners of the skidplate?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by EwingJK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Looks great! Amazing... free?!

I love that bumper too.

By the way, why did they cut off the top corners of the skidplate?

Yep. Free! The company has about a half-billion dollars worth of contracts with us on the project I'm working on in UAE. I've been visiting them for a couple of years and have a really good relationship with the General Manager. After our portion of the fabrication was completed, I showed them a drawing of the skidplate and asked what they would charge me for it. The General Manager told his Superintendent "if it is for Mr. John, you don't even have to ask for my approval, just do what ever he wants." I offered the Superintendent and the workers some money, but they refused to accept it. I'll give them a gift that they wouldn't normally have. They won't be able to refuse a gift.

The reason for the clipped corners was to clear the recovery hooks (it really wasn't required, they just didn't understand how the skid plate was suppose to fit. They got a little carried away and trimmed way too much. By time they did it, I already decided to have them make a new, thicker skidplate, so I just let them run with it. Keep in mind that these guys aren't what you would call topnotch hobbyists. Most of them were treecutters and farmers in India just a few short years ago. Not that I'm complaining because these guys will do anything in the world for you.
The shop where this was done is part of a mulit-billion dollar conglomerate, yet the workers are hard-pressed to know how to use basic tools like sockets & wrenches. I opened up my tool box, which is nothing to brag about, and they were all gushing over it. They asked if I brought it over from the States.
Thanks for the compliments about the bumper. I really like the look, especially with the skidplate. Once I get the final one done, I'll have it powder coated flat black.
EwingJK
Cruiser

by EwingJK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Philberto wrote:Looks awesome and all, but I think this belongs in another thread. Maybe one of the mods would kindly move it?

I was following up to earlier posts in JD's Front Bumper thread. I didn't particularly want to start a separate thread. No big deal either way. Thanks for the comment about the skidplate.
EwingJK
Cruiser

by Trail X » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 am

One thought.... from experience... you may want to cut the front lip off of barton's skidplate. My front plate is so rigid that I had to pry on it with a crowbar in order to get enough clearance to remove the oilpan plate... just to change my oil. I cut the front lip off the oilpan plate and it makes everything so much simpler. Just a thought.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

Return to Fab Work