Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

FABBED BUMPER FINISH

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by larryk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:24 pm

Simple and quick question.... I'm picking up a Bumper kit from Mike this weekend. After I build it....I am NOT spraying with a rattle can. So, other than powder coating, I was thinking of getting it sprayed with bedliner. Anyone have thoughts on this...pros or cons vs powdercoat? Durability, repairability, and rust prevention are my top concerns...also cost to a degree

Thanks!
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by mason10198 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 pm

I chose not to do bedliner because of the texture. One, it's not very visually appealing on the front bumper of a truck, and two, it's a pain in the ass to try and clean. Textured finishes like that can't really be cleaned very well because of how the porous surface holds onto dirt and grime. Before I had my fabbed bumber, I remover the bumper cover and bedlined the stock bumper reinforcement. Realllllly bad idea. Also wasn't near as durable as I thought it would be. Sure, it doesn't scratch, but it had chunks taken out of it from tree limbs on the trail.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 am

Sprayed-on professionally done bedliner like Line-X holds up really well. Any of the brush-on or rattle can bedliners aren't much if any more durable than rattle can. Problem is that powdercoat costs about $100 to do a bumper. Line-X, I don't know about. I know a truck bed is like $500, so if you bring in the bumper off the vehicle, maybe $200?

The other thing in that price range is automotive paint, but whether that looks good or not depends on how well you finish/grind. You wouldn't BELIEVE the stuff that shows up with gloss black paint! Now, with paint, you can always skim-coat with Bondo and block sand it, which will leave you with a smooth finish, but there's the question of time and/or price.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by larryk » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:39 pm

All good points. Appreciate the advice. I think I'll pass on the bedliner option...As while I like the texture, if it's not that durable and holds dirt.....pass

The automotive paint option....I get, and while the prep time is needed, I can do that and have the equipment to spray it. But....blah. Boring. I'm leaning towards textured semi gloss black. Simple, durable, and hides surface irregularities pretty well. Sigh....
larryk
Off-Roader

by KingBird » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Me?

I'd rattle can bedline it, just like I did with my sliders and roof rack. Then I keep a rattle can with me. When it gets chipped off, I clean it up at the local pay and spray car wash, let it dry, then touch it up with the rattle can.

It's a 4wd, it's supposed to have some character. I may be in the mall crawler section here because I don't feel like doing book reports, but those who actually off-road can tell who the mall crawlers are...
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TBYODA » Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 am

Larry you could use monstaliner. It is rolled on by hand so goes on thick and has very nice look. Check them out.

http://www.monstaliner.com/
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008

by aldon31 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:10 am

Might be less durable than bedliner, but using paint is easier to do and touch up.
aldon31
Cruiser

Name: Alden
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Wed May 03, 2017 11:23 am

No finish is perfect, and no finish will last forever. Don't spend too much on it unless you just want to park it and look at it.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 am

Use rattle can hammered finish in a bunch of coats and it will hold up well
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by HawkeyeC25 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 am

A good quality powder coat should last you many years! I've had rocks thrown at mine, ran it into trees, dropped wrenches on it, ran my engine hoist into it... and not a mark on it! My buddy did the same to a stock set of wheels on his Silverado like 5 years ago and still has no chipping or cracking. But a good powder coat, is not cheap. I think I paid just over $200 to do my entire bumper with brush bars. If I hadn't done this, I am with these guys to get several good coats of your coating of choice (paint or spray liner) and just keep up with it as you beat it up. This is what I do with my skid plates.
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig

by larryk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for all your feedback on this...... I looked into all of this, and went with powdercoat, with a base of zinc powder primer. This stiff isn't going to chip from normal use.... and if it does, it won't bullseye rust. Have to think of that up here in salted road country.....

Check my next post for final results. Turned out awesome
larryk
Off-Roader

Return to Fab Work