Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Tactical Armor Group shut down

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by hilljb » Fri May 13, 2016 2:19 am

I'm happy the direction this has gone, because I've now asked bartonmd for a bumper kit, oil skid, and radiator skid. I plan on having a local shop weld and finish the bumper. I'm looking forward to it.

I had ordered a bumper months ago from Tactical Armor Group, before realizing the horrible reputation they had.

No... half a year ago I had ordered a bumper. Actually: 29 weeks ago. (WTF?) Sure, I need to keep on top of that more, but the reality is that I don't drive much at all right now and all our trails are still full of snow here in Colorado. So, I saw summer around the bend and ringed TAG up. They have "suspended operations due to the massive amount of credit card fraud we have experienced." Their reputation seems to have caught up with them, with many a waiting customer disputing card charges.

I paid for my bumper in October. Today, my credit card company (and I do highly recommend the REI mastercard) refunded me that payment. Sweet.

I should post more often. I lurk mostly. New and ongoing on my end: Swapping the 3.42 gearing with a 8.6" rear diff with front/rear 4.56 gearing, looking for rear locker recommendations, replacing control arms and CV axles and tie rod ends and springs, and figuring out how to clean my engine bay from all the sticky red clay that is caked into it.
hilljb

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by PROSPHOTO » Fri May 13, 2016 4:21 am

I was going to order a bumper from them since they were the only ones I found assembled... Thanks for the heads up!
-Mike
PROSPHOTO

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Fri May 13, 2016 9:16 am

Yeah, I believe it! I'm working on an order for a rad skid from a nice guy in Saudi, who also ordered before knowing their reputation. He actually got it, but of course, the bumper was too wide (Their same design from the beginning, despite selling bumpers based on James' modified picture that they won't make) and he said he just ended up pulling the fenders out around 2" to take up the gap, instead of modifying the bumper. It honestly doesn't look bad (especially just in passing), because the fender to headlight clearance is already pretty big, but he shouldn't have had to do that.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue May 17, 2016 8:46 am

This made me laugh. Did you find out what name they will be back out with bumpers under? Should not be long til they do it again.

If you can swing it, go selectable locker. Electric or air. I do not have any issues with my lunchbox, but it would be nice to have the ability to open diff for snowy sidehills n such
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Fab Work