Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Cutting bumper to add winch

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by ErikSS » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:57 pm

JoeyT wrote: Why do I think of things when I don't have a welder handy.

That kind of thing will fade with time. If your like me, it will never go away though. :wallbash: Your welds look fine man. We all goober once in a while, but most of them look good. It's nice to see another guy taking some initative. It's great that your handle fits into the hole in the grill.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by JoeyT » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:57 pm

It seems there's always something I could've added or done differently. I was looking at a small welder for home so I don't have to spend all my time at work to do mods. I think the everlast 140 is all I need. http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... i-mig-140e
JoeyT
Cruiser

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by v7guy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Yeah, those welds look pretty alright, a smidge of porosity maybe on the one base plate to side piece, but a heck of a lot better than a lot of the stuff I see. You'll get better at thinking of different ways to approach things the more you do it. I have a natural talent for doing things the hardest most complicated way possible... just ask Barton lol

Nice to see some more guys building stuff!
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by JoeyT » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:11 pm

I've seen some people weld and it's kinda scary. My biggest downfall is that I tend to use to much power and have to fill in holes from blowing through but I know I get penetration. I also add more weld then needed just to make sure it's strong enough. I haven't had a weld break yet. There's more fabrication to come. After the drivetrain upgrade.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by Trail X » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Looks good Joey. I agree with Jason, but overall not bad. The porosity is probably due to edge prep - or lack thereof.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by v7guy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah I was just figuring the metal probably wasn't completely clean, especially given the confines being worked in. Personally, I tend to move too slow and pour unnecessary heat into the joint, I'm getting better though.

With a fair portion of the welds I see I wonder how somebody can make the welds that bad.LOL

Maybe Barton will chime in with his thoughts, he's got a lot more experience than I
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by JoeyT » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:31 pm

If the porosity was on the winch plate I would've grinder it down and rewelded it. Where it popped up I didn't see it being a big issue down the road so I just left it a lone.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by bartonmd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:33 am

I didn't see it before, but the little bit of porosity is from one of two things:

1. Paint still on the surface where you were welding.

2. Slag/dross from a torch or plasma cut edge. I use a plasma a lot, and it's MUCH better than a torch, but before you weld on a plasma cut edge, you need to grind the hardened, aerated steel off of the very edge. You don't need to grind 1/2" off of it or anything, but just run a grinder up and down the edge once or twice and it'll get enough of it off that it won't cause problems. Since the head-affected edge is bigger on a torch cut, you need to take a little more off of a torch cut edge, but it's not bad either. Just go until you see freshly ground metal with no bubbles in it.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Previous

Return to Fab Work