Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Fab Body Lift Bumper Mounts

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by JHogg419 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:12 pm

I am very new to fab work in general. I have welding experience and other metal work experience being a redneck down here in Texas. It is mostly farm work type of stuff. I had bought some body lift pucks from MarkMC but I am still needing my bumper mounts. I was wondering if anyone that has built their own body lift just reworked their factory mounts. I was going to run to the local pick-n-pull and grab the factory bumper mounts off a trailblazer and just raise the bumper side up the two inches I need. Any thoughts on this? I am unable to build from scratch because this is my every day driver and I want to try to make as much as I can before I start the job. If it is just impossible that is fine, but please explain why. Thank you in advance for all the information. :idea:
'A “burro” is an ass, and a “burrow” is a hole in the ground, but your typical English-speaking person can’t tell one from the other.'
JHogg419

Name: Jarrod Hogg
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Tue May 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Nothing is impossible.

Way easier to use professional built pieces though. Are the pucks 2 or 3 inch? If 2” then contact Zone and ask to buy the bumper mounts only. 3” pucks and you may be screwed.

Guess you could cut out the top of the box frame rail and weld a plate to it. Can’t recall what else is in the way.

Steering extension would concern me more.

edit: Zone Offroad not Rough Country
Last edited by bgwolfpack on Tue May 06, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by v7guy » Tue May 06, 2014 2:53 pm

I pieced it together, used marks steering extension and 3" lift pucks then built bumpers. You can copy the pics of the bumper brackets and figure it out with a little trial and error. Or you can just build bumpers to fit. Your choice.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by JHogg419 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:25 pm

If rough country will sell just the bumper brackets, would they not sell just the steering extension? I am planning on building my own front bumper. It is just going to be a while before the funds. The rear I want to leave stock. MarkMC sent me what he called a back bumper bracket started but it is only a flat sheet of metal about 4 inch by 4 inch with a corner cut off. I don't quite know how they work. I have been looking at pictures of them mounted in thr body lift instructions. I am just a bit confused. Maybe the best thing to do is just take it apart and looked.
'A “burro” is an ass, and a “burrow” is a hole in the ground, but your typical English-speaking person can’t tell one from the other.'
JHogg419

by bgwolfpack » Tue May 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Sorry! Not Rough Country

Zone Offroad sells the 2" body lift.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Tue May 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Download the Zone Offroad instructions from their web site. This will help you see behind the curtain.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Tue May 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Double post.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by JHogg419 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:43 pm

I knew what you meant. I just didn't think they would sell just parts though. Another idea I just had was the classified section here. There are tons of people with custom bumpers and body lifts. Where did all the brackets go? Funds aren't available right now. I'm trying to get a feel for things and do as much planning a possible. I have MarkMC 3 inch suspension lift and wheel spacers right now sitting in the garage. Body lift pucks. I am considering swapping coil springs but on that I haven't made up my mind. I am trying to get everything together to do it all at once so I can take off and knock it out. I thought I could save some money building my own bumper brackets.

I am just trying to figure out how to do it before I lift the body. I am worried that if I build them before there might be alignment issues though.
JHogg419

by JHogg419 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Sorry Randy if this was already posted. I searched but did not see what I was looking for. My bad.
JHogg419

by bgwolfpack » Tue May 06, 2014 3:52 pm

JHogg419 wrote:Sorry Randy if this was already posted. I searched but did not see what I was looking for. My bad.

http://4x4media.info/instructions/zon/C9212.pdf
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by markmc » Tue May 06, 2014 7:52 pm

JHogg419 wrote:Sorry Randy if this was already posted. I searched but did not see what I was looking for. My bad.

sent you some info that might help..
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Mark
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 2WD

by bartonmd » Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 pm

JHogg419 wrote:... There are tons of people with custom bumpers and body lifts. Where did all the brackets go? ...

The reason for that is because my 3" body lift bumpers (and kits that you weld together) are 3" taller than the standard bumper, so there are no offset brackets for the body lift on the bumper.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by JHogg419 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Well I guess my my dreams of building my own body lift have dwindled. I got an email from Zone Offroad saying that they will not sell just the steering extension. I feel worried about making that part. I don't feel comfortable at this point to make something they could make me crash if it broke. I will keep this in mind for down the road for when my skills improve. Thanks everyone.
JHogg419

by v7guy » Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 pm

I've got a steering extension sitting on the shelf here. Mark said he wouldn't have any problem with it so later on tonight I'll post up dimensions and maybe you could take it to a machine shop to get made. It's a relatively simple piece.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by JHogg419 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Awesome. Ill adapt it to a 2 inch raise
JHogg419

Return to Fab Work