Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Panhard Bar Drop Bracket

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by ErikSS » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 pm

I don't know of anyone who's axle stayed centered after a suspension lift. Yours is pretty tall. If you're panhard bar isn't level, your axle should be towards your passenger side.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Trail X » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Back to the original subject, can the frame brace not also mount on the lower bolt hole? You're introducing bending into the bracket that doesn't really need to be there.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:35 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Back to the original subject, can the frame brace not also mount on the lower bolt hole? You're introducing bending into the bracket that doesn't really need to be there.

I'm not sure I'm following you James. This bracket cups the C shape of the original bracket. It uses the original hole and 1 hole to be drilled as support. Then the panhard bar mounts lower.
ErikSS
Lifer

by Regulator1175 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:53 pm

mikekey wrote:I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Erik. My axle is centered without dropping the panhard bar.

OK, well since your post followed mine I assumed it was related to the bar rubbing.

Do you have an adjustable bar? There is no way that your still centered if it is still the stock bar.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:08 pm

I needed an adjustable bar to center mine under the truck. Did not need anything else with stock arms, 1/2 inch longer arms, 8.0 or 14 bolt rear end.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 pm

mikekey wrote:I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Erik. My axle is centered without dropping the panhard bar.

Stock bar?

Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
DriveTrain: 4WD

by ErikSS » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm pretty sure he has the Massive kit. Not sure if he realizes that makes a difference.
ErikSS
Lifer

by Trail X » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:57 pm

ErikSS wrote:
JamesDowning wrote:Back to the original subject, can the frame brace not also mount on the lower bolt hole? You're introducing bending into the bracket that doesn't really need to be there.

I'm not sure I'm following you James. This bracket cups the C shape of the original bracket. It uses the original hole and 1 hole to be drilled as support. Then the panhard bar mounts lower.

The diagonal bolt-on gusset-bar that runs from the driver side frame should also relocate down to the new panhard location.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by ErikSS » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Oh! I could loosen up the bolts and see if it will stretch.
ErikSS
Lifer

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:02 pm

ErikSS wrote:I'm pretty sure he has the Massive kit. Not sure if he realizes that makes a difference.

This.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by mikekey » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 pm

ErikSS wrote:I don't know of anyone who's axle stayed centered after a suspension lift. Yours is pretty tall. If you're panhard bar isn't level, your axle should be towards your passenger side.

Regulator1175 wrote:Do you have an adjustable bar? There is no way that your still centered if it is still the stock bar.

THIS - - >

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I needed an adjustable bar to center mine under the truck. Did not need anything else with stock arms, 1/2 inch longer arms, 8.0 or 14 bolt rear end.

Mine was in fact pulling to the passenger side before the adjustable bar. :cheers:

Erik, I thought you had adjustable control arms, guess not? Why skip that?

My rear axle right this second:
Attachments
today.jpg
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by ErikSS » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Why skip that? Didn't you write up that they were difficult to install? Seems like a common issue with them. I asked in the thread after Regulators recent issue if they have many of these on SS trucks. I havnt seen an answer. But also... MarkMC asked me if I wanted to try out this bracket while I was still cutting corners to get it lifted this year.
ErikSS
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:04 pm

After all the experiences I have read about w massive installs, I would not buy them. Not seen one install without a need for modification.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by TBYODA » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:06 pm

I was thinking about this bracket and Regulators issue and had a idea. What if the bracket looked like below. I am no Mech ENG but would this help both issues with the adjustment arm? Not sure about the shear at the bolt in the middle. Yea quick PP drawing. ;)
Attachments
panhard bar idea.png
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo

by v7guy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:13 pm

James is right that the diagonal support should really go down to the new bracket or the drop bracket could be mounted differently. There's a lot of leverage on those things.

Extending the PHR bracket will help get the roll center down, it'll help with the arc the rear axle travels during bump and droop, but it won't do much of anything for centering the axle. It'll change the handling a bit and it might keep the driveshaft a bit happier.

The only way the axle is going to get centered is with the adj PHR, the only benefit I see to adj control arms is kicking the axle back and for fixing the pinion angle after lifting it.

I use an drop bracket for the PHR on the firebird and it uses two bolts in double shear. The drop bracket goes up the side of the stock bracket high enough that a second bolt hole can be used to fasten the drop bracket to the stock bracket. That's probably a slightly better arrangement than one bolt on the outside of the stock bracket to keep it from pivoting.

I'd be ready to beat my head against the wall if I was Matt. lol
He has an Envoy that has small wheel wells, he has to kick his rear axle back to keep from hitting the doors. To kick the axle back far enough that 35s don't hit the doors he has had to move the axle back far enough that a straight PHR won't reach the stock (passenger/frame side) PHR bracket without hitting the center section of the axle. He either has to bend the PHR, or move the PHR bracket on the passenger/frame side back so it'll fit. Something like Robert posted would probably hold up ok. A couple gussets on top and it would probably need moved back a bit further than that. Maybe a brace on the front side to the frame.

I don't see this bracket helping him in any way.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by mikekey » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:25 pm

ErikSS wrote:Why skip that? Didn't you write up that they were difficult to install? Seems like a common issue with them. I asked in the thread after Regulators recent issue if they have many of these on SS trucks. I havnt seen an answer. But also... MarkMC asked me if I wanted to try out this bracket while I was still cutting corners to get it lifted this year.

HARDTRAILZ wrote:After all the experiences I have read about w massive installs, I would not buy them. Not seen one install without a need for modification.

You have custom length control arms. I'm suggesting he needs those. Which is a side topic to the PHB.

As for the bracket, I'd skip it. There are a few alternative suppliers for adjustable panhard bars. Like Jason stated, it's needed to center that axle. It's not super expensive. Far cheaper than the control arms.

Matt has got to be going bonkers.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by markmc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:28 pm

ErikSS wrote:Why skip that? Didn't you write up that they were difficult to install? Seems like a common issue with them. I asked in the thread after Regulators recent issue if they have many of these on SS trucks. I havnt seen an answer. But also... MarkMC asked me if I wanted to try out this bracket while I was still cutting corners to get it lifted this year.

And Thank you ErikSS for volunteering the testing and progress reporting of the bracket.
The original idea comes from member Lauron.
He sent me a sample several months ago in hopes that his idea could be introduced
into my product lineup without any royalty's due to his contribution.
For this reason i will be selling them pretty much at cost to offroadtb members in his honor
once the testing and final design is complete.

Thanks to all the members here for your support past and future.
Your dedication to the platform is what motivates my continued strive for new and better products at an affordable cost..

"im the Liftmeister and i approve this message"

markmc
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Mark
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 2WD

by ErikSS » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:33 pm

I would like longer/adjustable control arms. However I have stuffed these tires into the wheel wells pretty hard without rubbing anywhere.
I like the James suggestion of moving the diagonal down. As soon as I get too it I will post if it reaches.
ErikSS
Lifer

by ErikSS » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks to James for pointing out the cross support problem. I had to loosen the other end of the bar. I had to cut a little off the spare tire bracket to lower the bar. Perhaps if I had lowered the bar before installing the bracket I might not have had to cut.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1381794882912.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1381794851424.jpg
ErikSS
Lifer

by ErikSS » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:02 pm

I do like this better.