Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

My attempt at making a oil pan skid plate Completed sort of

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by navigator » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:52 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Harbor Freight has good cheap helmets actually. I know Mike said it would work for my needs and the auto-dark is good on them.

agree, one of the best $40 I have ever spent.

I went with the cheapest one, the one with the grinding feature as mentioned above would be nice if you do much grinding. Safety glasses really aren't enough.

While you are there, get one of those cheap leather aprons too if you don't have something better.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:00 pm

A while back I did get one on sale for $40.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by v7guy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Yup, I agree with Mike, the more recent welding helmets seem pretty alright.

I was referencing the Kobalt helmet SGY-A11 that has 4 arc sensors as opposed to the 2 the harbor freight (and the old kobalt helmet) has, the difference in my experience is significant reduction in getting flashed when in off positions, the extra 2 sensors really seem to make a legitimate difference.
With that said they do offer virtually identical darkening times, we're looking at 1/ 0001 difference between the two. The viewing area is a bit better for the Kobalt and the Kobalt helmet can be adjusted down to a .1 sec delay time where as the harbor freight unit can be adjusted down to .25 delay. I also really like the flatter face of the Kobalt helmet.

Were I to step up I'd be looking at a speedglass.

Given the small mark up of the Kobalt over the Harbor Freight helmet ($30) I feel it's probably a better option for the new welder given that it'll enable them to get their face down closer to the puddle if needed and the added arc sensors give a dramatically smaller chance of getting flashed... personally, getting flashed gets old REALLY quick. The slightly better viewing area and the the slightly better delay is just icing on the cake.

With that said I would still use a recent harbor freight unit if that's what was available to me, they are a valid option and they appear to be quite good. But I think the Kobalt unit is probably the better option given the current offerings given the price point we're looking at.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:14 pm

With some of the coupons...$30 is double price of HF unit. Plus they can be had w flames or lightning bolts.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:29 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:With some of the coupons...$30 is double price of HF unit. Plus they can be had w flames or lightning bolts.

I have the blue flames one. I'm aware that it's a cheap helmet, but it's serving my needs very well.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik

by jonbo2002 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:With some of the coupons...$30 is double price of HF unit. Plus they can be had w flames or lightning bolts.

Flames make your welds better and lightning make you weld faster... right? :fro:
jonbo2002
Addict

Name: Jon
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:07 am

Bingo Jack
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by TBYODA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Practiced some welding today, I can say the HF auto shield helps a lot. But my buddies welder splatters a lot. On YouTube vid guy was saying that for flux core you should have the negative on the core. If the core has the positive it splatters more. Is this true and could test output with a voltage meter or would you fry it? I am thinking fry it. :?

I took a second past here.

thinking a little to fast.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by dvanbramer88 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:46 pm

you made me open all those pictures on my phone just to post them here? Thanks man... :finger:

Don't know what to do about the spatter, but it looks like you got good continuous beads. Looks like you're getting the hang of it.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by TBYODA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:50 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:you made me open all those pictures on my phone just to post them here? Thanks man... :finger:

Yep! :viking: :finger: :raspberry: :P Got to get options of others good or bad. :friday: :cheers:

TBYODA

by djthumper » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:55 pm

IIRC You can get a lot of splatter if the ground clamp doesn't make a good contact. I try to take a wire brush or grinder to the contact point.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by TBYODA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Not a very good looking ground clamp to me.

TBYODA

by djthumper » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Wow! That thing looks like it is worn out. Definitely help it out by cleaning the clamping point.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by Chango » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Try some of this ...

Chango
Off-Roader

Vehicle Year: 2007

by Trail X » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Open your welder door, the two leads should be clearly marked which is which to reverse the polarity.

I'm still learning myself, but those welds look a bit cold still. At least, to my somewhat untrained eye. Looks like it might need more heat and a bit less wire speed. I'm hoping my response is close to what Barton will say.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by TBYODA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Unit does not have any +/- terminal post like I have seen in other videos, I did open the unit everything is crimped, so I am thinking not really meant to for user to adjust. I was on the highest setting, ErikSS said the same thing on wire speed. POS welder LOL

TBYODA

by ErikSS » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't imagine your polarity is wrong. I would focus on wire speed since you're heat is turned all the way up. Slow down the wire. You may consider practicing on thinner steel. That looks like very thick steel for an 80 amp welder. Have you found any specs on what that model claims to be able to weld? I think you may be trying to weld at or beyond the welders specification all while learning how to weld.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik

by Chango » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:44 pm

I think Eric is right. You are welding thick channel with that small welder. I think about the only way to get any good penetration on that thick of stuff with that welder is to heat it with a torch first.
Also, a tip...get comfortable. Don't stand flat footed, bent over at odd angles. Make sure you can go all the way through the pass in a smooth motion. Set up like you are going to make a pass, and without pulling the trigger make sure you can get all the way to where you want to end up without stopping or binding your hands. For short passes I sometimes rest my trigger hand in the palm of my other, using it as a support. On longer passes I'll use my elbow on my non trigger hand to use as a guide.
My 2 cents ..Hope some of this made sense

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Chango
Off-Roader

Vehicle Year: 2007

by Trail X » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Makes sense actually, Robert. If its a HF welder, I think they sell flux-core-only welders, so they wouldn't have a way to change it.

Chango has some good suggestions too as far as technique. I've started doing similar things with my hands and arms. Gotta be comfortable, or have some amazingly smooth hands.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by TBYODA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:41 pm

I definitely agree with getting comfortable bit. I was squatting down with the steel on this. Lol, already decided to make a welding table out of scrape 2x4
I was using one of my hands to support the tip.

TBYODA

PreviousNext

Return to Fab Work