Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Stinger Test

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by bgwolfpack » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:28 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:
Something, to me, which is a million times better than a cad drawing or photoshop idea.

:thumright: I completely agree. Working with our hands and minds is much better than with just our fingers and on our ass. :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:23 pm

[/

My lower center will be alot like this with a 3/16 or so steel plate back to bartons plate. I have some 1/8 inch aluminum diamond plate for filling in part of the bumper when it is finished. I like the strength of the tube with plate over it.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:07 am

Just a couple pics to show the fitment to the truck.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:35 am

Not bad. I'd like to see a little more metal involved. Seems like it is dwarfed by the rest of the body. But I like your outside of the box thinking. And the fact that you have the balls to try things that nobody else here has done.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 am

MrSmithsTB wrote:Not bad. I'd like to see a little more metal involved. Seems like it is dwarfed by the rest of the body. But I like your outside of the box thinking. And the fact that you have the balls to try things that nobody else here has done.

Lot more metal to be involved. Got my buddy's yota running so it can come out of the garage and give us room to work on the final product. Got some 1/8 in aluminum diamond plate for panels, some 1/4 inch steel plate for a winch plate, but prolly better to just buy one. Need some round and square tubing, but debating what it will end up like. My biggest concern is the radiator skid and lower bar. Still wondering about repplacing crossmember in the frame.
HARDTRAILZ

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:56 am

Run the rad skid right from the oil pan skid plate to the bumper?
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by foosh » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:00 am

The one piece bumper to skid plate is a good idea, which i really like... If its made part of the bumper it would be very hard to replace or repair if it got damaged. But So basically it would be like the skid plate JD has...
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:12 am

Bottom of bumper will be square and the radiator skid will bolt to that and back to oil skid most likely. I do want it removable
HARDTRAILZ

by lil_freak_66 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:49 pm

i think it has potential,id make it follow the lines more and add in 3/16 sheetmetal for more protection of the vitals,and the visual look as too.

its what id do,its on the potential design list currently
Michigan Search & Rescue.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2002

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:07 am

Please explain your thoughts of following the lines more... The ends are lined up right with the old fender bumper mounts. They poit at each other. The bumper is tucked in farther to the body than most other I have seen on anyveichle. It lines up and is tack welded to the fram where we notched it. 1/2 in clearance to the tranny cooler in the rear and lined up with the bottom of it.

I think it follows pretty damn good. I am planning to add some metal to fill it in some. I got a couple tubes to replace with square stock for adding the rad skid and need to move things a bit for a winch/light plate in the middle since it tucks so far back.

Hopefully Jan/Feb I will get a chance to get back on this, but for now it is stronger and I think looks better than just the stock bumper support. But I also am working with guy that does H3 bumpers and going to see him and see about designing and building a small batch to try and sell. Just need to some capital or money down commitments once the design is done. Even if it doesnt work he can teach me a little about what affected the evolution of his h3 bumpers and maybe I can skip some of the not so good renditions of creating something. Or he has one I can try to adapt.. Who knows?
HARDTRAILZ

Previous

Return to Fab Work