Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Stinger Test

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by HARDTRAILZ » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:40 am

Not sure if this will stay, but welded up and welded on for now. Cut the front off the frame to fit better. Needs alot more fab work, but so far we got a sawzall, 2 grinder, air chisel, air cutoff wheel, air drill, electric drill, air brush, and some cheap-o paint involved in the build...OH and some time involved in the project.

I questioned the idea of a stinger, but was out voted and so far I like. A little liquor and a lot of metal, but overall a good night.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:00 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Not sure if this will stay,...
I questioned the idea of a stinger, but was out voted and so far I like....
Outvoted? By WHOM?!?

IMHO, and I've expounded on this a few times on the OS, the function (as I understand it) of a stinger is to prevent a forward somersault if you over-rotate in a leap.

Trailvoys don't leap. For the same reason John Pinette doesn't leap.

John Pinette would say: "Nay-nay." to a stinger. :slap:

So, and again IMHO, YMMV, a stinger is a pre-runner wannabe poseur mod and embarrasses the platform. MAYBE if the vehicle had serious long-travel (and perhaps 2WD would be required to do it) front coilovers and some serious weight reduction. The side hoops of that unit aren't in a position to support the front of limb risers if you wanted to put those on, and again, IMHO, limb risers would see a lot more functional use where I go. Yes, it's unique, but it fails one of my personal tests - is it dead weight that's there for appearance only and will never be used? And I know I've violated that in the past - and I may do it again, but if you're looking for somebody to agree with your sober assessment that a stinger is silly - you got it. :friday:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Gordinho80 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Well, Roadie covered it, in regards to functionality...

As for appearance, if you like it, that's all that really matters. I'm personally not a fan of the look at all.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by foosh » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:23 pm

... Yeah I agree with the Roadie, not quite the thing for a trail truck...
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

by bgwolfpack » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:41 pm

A few beers, a Friend and time to scratch your ass, what could be better. HARDTRAILZ, it's your truck. We all know that if you decide to change it you can. Better than paying someone else to do the work for you. Any sober ideas on how to make a functional tube, winch ready, bumper?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Philberto » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:47 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:A few beers, a Friend and time to scratch your ass, what could be better. HARDTRAILZ, it's your truck. We all know that if you decide to change it you can. Better than paying someone else to do the work for you. Any sober ideas on how to make a functional tube, winch ready, bumper?

yeah, outside of the stinger and the non-body-following lines, I see potential here... I particularly like how close the bumper is to the truck, maximizing approach angle. I'd like to see a variant here utilizing a receiver rather than a winch... with a full brush guard with loops for limb risers.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by bgwolfpack » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Philberto wrote:
bgwolfpack wrote:A few beers, a Friend and time to scratch your ass, what could be better. HARDTRAILZ, it's your truck. We all know that if you decide to change it you can. Better than paying someone else to do the work for you. Any sober ideas on how to make a functional tube, winch ready, bumper?

yeah, outside of the stinger and the non-body-following lines, I see potential here... I particularly like how close the bumper is to the truck, maximizing approach angle. I'd like to see a variant here utilizing a receiver rather than a winch... with a full brush guard with loops for limb risers.

HARDTRAILZ, Time for a beer run!
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Philberto » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:57 pm

come to think of it, I've a friend in Indiana I've been meaning to visit for some time now... One of these days I may just make it out there for a long-distance beer run. And I'll bring some of CA's finest... Firestone!
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by That1Guy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:07 pm

The Roadie wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:Not sure if this will stay,...
I questioned the idea of a stinger, but was out voted and so far I like....
Outvoted? By WHOM?!?

IMHO, and I've expounded on this a few times on the OS, the function (as I understand it) of a stinger is to prevent a forward somersault if you over-rotate in a leap.

Trailvoys don't leap. For the same reason John Pinette doesn't leap.

John Pinette would say: "Nay-nay." to a stinger. :slap:

So, and again IMHO, YMMV, a stinger is a pre-runner wannabe poseur mod and embarrasses the platform. MAYBE if the vehicle had serious long-travel (and perhaps 2WD would be required to do it) front coilovers and some serious weight reduction. The side hoops of that unit aren't in a position to support the front of limb risers if you wanted to put those on, and again, IMHO, limb risers would see a lot more functional use where I go. Yes, it's unique, but it fails one of my personal tests - is it dead weight that's there for appearance only and will never be used? And I know I've violated that in the past - and I may do it again, but if you're looking for somebody to agree with your sober assessment that a stinger is silly - you got it. :friday:

Coming from a "pre runner guy", this is more of a jeep thing. Used more to tell you how close to an obstacle you are. I admit his bumper has a pre runner type mix on it with all the extra tubes, but in the prerunner/race world, that is very rare, and will get laughed at if you were to put it on your pre runner/race truck. Typically we will have a hoop that goes over the lights for protection, but I have never seen a true stinger on a dedicated pre runner or race truck.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Hope everybody understands I'm being frank here, not in any way mocking it. And I'd only do it here among friends, not on the OS.

What fries my butt around here is prerunner Tacomas with mini-12" stingers that aren't at all functional because they don't even come up to the top of the hood. All I can see them useful for is tying a clothesline to in camp.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by That1Guy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:46 pm

The Roadie wrote:Hope everybody understands I'm being frank here, not in any way mocking it. And I'd only do it here among friends, not on the OS.

What fries my butt around here is prerunner Tacomas with mini-12" stingers that aren't at all functional because they don't even come up to the top of the hood. All I can see them useful for is tying a clothesline to in camp.

ill take more time later, as I need to head to work. Ill try and explain a "pre runners" mind to you guys. Try to explain how we think and why we do what we do...
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:48 pm

If you're really getting into some serious hardcore crawling, this could be useful... example below:

I'm not sure your current design could hold up your vehicle... you may want to gusset it back to the back-side of your mounting plate.

It's a bit tuby looking right now... maybe it just needs some metal sheeting to kinda clean it up some and protect the radiator a bit... like below. I'd also watch out for any sort of rocks on the highway until you can protect the radiator more. Eek!

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by EwingJK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:34 pm

I'm not a fan of the look. Just my opinion. Enough said by others. But what's with grinding without safety glasses, a face shield and a grinder guard? Speaking from first-hand experience, it's a bitch to have steel scraped out of your eyes or to have stiches in your hand from an exploding grinding disk. Think about the consequences. I hate seeing anyone hurt when it could be easily avoided.
EwingJK
Cruiser

Name: John Ewing

by NeilageInc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:04 pm

EwingJK wrote:I'm not a fan of the look. Just my opinion. Enough said by others. But what's with grinding without safety glasses, a face shield and a grinder guard? Speaking from first-hand experience, it's a bitch to have steel scraped out of your eyes or to have stiches in your hand from an exploding grinding disk. Think about the consequences. I hate seeing anyone hurt when it could be easily avoided.

X2 :slap:

I like it a lot. I come from the hard core seen and would love to see more of them on your trucks. To me it shows no that you did a mod that might make you push your rig harder. I think it needs alittle more support around the mounts though. Over all its an A for for having a set.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 am

I like the stinger for two reasons. Where I am headed with the truck will put it in situations much like JD's pic in his post showed. I have seen jeeps on the stinger and there is a 75 degree wall face climb I have been challenged to do. And i will. but at this point it no where near strong enough for that, but it is not on there for that. The best thing I see with driving it and having the design is the ability to see the spacing to trees and things. I can see about the top 6-8 inches of it and am planning to play a bit tomorrow and see how close I can come to a wall and then cut hard right or left and miss the wall. That will be very functional to have an extra fixed point out front. I do agree it is not a pre-runner thing, it is a jeep thing.

I really like it now and am beginning the process of deciding which bars stay, which change, where lights and hooks and the winch will go. The basic fit is really good for a bumper designed for something else. I also need to figure out where the filler panels will go and how it will work together. It may end up being a prototype that gets trashed, but thats why I got it. I despise the kennesaw mtn bumper. Truly a ripoff for the price of some steel that has to be re-worked as JD did to even look good on our platform. I wanted to experiment and have learned alot already.

I figured out my radiator skid issue finally this weekend while looking at this bumper. it is amazing that the bottom bar is less than a 1/4 inch from the outer cooler with just picking this up and spending an hour or two to get it to fit.

As for the anti-safety while using tools. It was his tools, his place, and most of all his choice. He does body and paint for a living. he knows what he is comfortable with and it is not my place to tell him how to live his life.

Neilage...Thanks. I have heard it thrown around for awhile about a tube style bumper, but no one sacked up and did it. I took a chance and it is what it is. I can pitch it and start over now and still benefit for doing it. It only a couple bolts and tack welded in place, I can stand on it, but I can remove it in 10 minutes or less. I did hack off the end of the frame but it did nothing anyway, except maybe add weight. It is fun to try and do something different.

Personally I am on a mission to drive it and wheel it, not live out of it. I dont have anywhere to do that kinda thing. I can camp for 4 days with a backpack of supplies and my tent, but i perfer to use a campground or my cabin or bring a camper for a basecamp.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:29 am

[quote="The Roadie
Yes, it's unique, but it fails one of my personal tests - is it dead weight that's there for appearance only and will never be used? [/quote]

Not even close to appearance only. Just a start to something that will completely change th ability of the truck. Will, when finished, be strong enought for a winch, provide a visual outlook for the front end, provide a solid mounting point for a skid plate to protect the radiator when in rocky areas, and most of all...get rid of the plastic bumper. The plastic bumper and steel support are pathetic for strength. I plan to be able to use a hi-lift on the bumper when finished. As of now it is providing an in-valuable use, a full size model or base for the future, it can be touched and viewed in person. Something, to me, which is a million times better than a cad drawing or photoshop idea.
HARDTRAILZ

by foosh » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:43 am

Glad to see you've made sense of it all... I like the direction and initiative. Can't wait to see the changes and final finished version. Just as a suggestion i'd scrap it and build new when you finally do it, because moding a this one can mean compromising the integrity of the final... Goodluck!
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:58 am

foosh wrote:Glad to see you've made sense of it all... I like the direction and initiative. Can't wait to see the changes and final finished version. Just as a suggestion i'd scrap it and build new when you finally do it, because moding a this one can mean compromising the integrity of the final... Goodluck!

Thats my basic thought as well, but I was told it could be reworked with changing a couple tubes and adding what I want. the tube are 1/4 inch thick, so they are pretty strong, but I do want some square tubes in areas for mounting things. Welds on parts of it now are horrible and may be able to take it apart to use as a pattern. Lots of thought and ideas going on now.
HARDTRAILZ

by Trail X » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:11 am

Glad to hear you plan to use it for a purpose.

Notice how the jeep's stinger, above, is gusseted back to the body. You'll want to do the same thing in order to attain the strength needed. You'll want to be able to pick up the vehicle with the tip of the stinger. Is that 1.25" tube? You may want to upgrade to 1.75" or 2" for strength, especially if you may end up setting the nose on the tip.

Don't forget to add in some shackle tabs. The best place for them is directly inline with your frame tubes. Good luck with it!

Can't wait to see some pics from your wheelin trips.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:07 pm

One thing I really want to do is remove the thin round tube spanning the framerails and replace it with a thick piece of square tubing that will provide a decent mounting point. Any reason this cant be cut out and replaced?
HARDTRAILZ

Next

Return to Fab Work