Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Receiver-Mounted Tire/Fuel/Jack Swing-Out.

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Here's sort of around-about what I'm thinking about doing. It's similar to the hitch-gate, but I think I'm going to use a bearing/spindle and a cam-latch and beam on top of the other, instead of the through-bolted deal with the beams side by side. The heights of the tire and can are the same either way, but this way lets me mount the plate under the jerry can, on the bottom, non-moving beam. The other way is mechanically more simple, but this way gets the stuff that sticks out, like 2.5" closer to the body. I dono...

bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Though, looking at it, the dual-shear bushing kits are like the same price as the spindle, so I might as well go this way and have a bearing instead of a bushing...

Mike
bartonmd

by TangoBravo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:03 pm

I would love to have one for my TB.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikekey » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 pm

You'd have a wider market of vehicles you could sell that thing to. But when will you find the time to build those? :poke: :finger: lol

I like the idea. Would the hitch still be usable? Looks like it.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Vehicle Year: 2003

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Yeah, the hitch would still be useable. The new hitch is the tube in the middle, right on top of the one that goes into the stock hitch.

Mike
bartonmd

by The Roadie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Check out the tiregate site for more new and cool ideas since they made the one I have.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 pm

I did, this morning. I'm not a huge fan of how they do the add-ons, so that's what I'm changing up, here. Plus, I'm adding a gas strut, so mine stays open, and only opens as far as I set it to open. This also lets me attach a table to it, like others have done on here.

Mike
bartonmd

by The Roadie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:52 am

Arghhhhh. That reminds me to put a provision in for a table bracket on the new bumper. It's about half done now. Pics later in the day. I'm the older brother, but I feel like today I'm gonna be tugging on Bud's shirt saying: "lemme help! Gimme the plasma cutter!"
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Opeth » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:44 pm

I like the design, but would probably just buck up and get the steel bumper so it would be close as possible.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006

by bartonmd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Opeth wrote:I like the design, but would probably just buck up and get the steel bumper so it would be close as possible.

The point of this is to be functional until I have the time to make myself a rear bumper, next winter; and at that point, sell this. As I said before, I don't have the 3 full weekends and the 2 weeks of evenings in between to make a rear bumper, but I do have the ~8 hours to make this (before TECORE in 3 weeks). More specifically, I'm sure the 12 people I have waiting on bumpers to be delivered won't be happy about me slipping myself in line and pushing them all back a month.

Mike
bartonmd

by bartonmd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Back to the actual design, I think I'm going to do a couple struts under the bumper, and bolt to the side of each frame rail, to support the sides, so it really doesn't rock. We will see how it shakes out.

Mike
bartonmd

by Opeth » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 pm

bartonmd wrote:
Opeth wrote:I like the design, but would probably just buck up and get the steel bumper so it would be close as possible.

The point of this is to be functional until I have the time to make myself a rear bumper, next winter; and at that point, sell this. As I said before, I don't have the 3 full weekends and the 2 weeks of evenings in between to make a rear bumper, but I do have the ~8 hours to make this (before TECORE in 3 weeks). More specifically, I'm sure the 12 people I have waiting on bumpers to be delivered won't be happy about me slipping myself in line and pushing them all back a month.

Mike

Valid point, you are quite back logged.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006

by v7guy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 pm

Why not just put the spindle through the bumper cover, off the frame rail like Karo did? (I think it was Karo that did it that way.)
The only reason I bring it up is that a bracket and a swing arm would be a lot more simple.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by Blazintrails03 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:17 pm

i want one haha
The unofficial hat guy of ORTB viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4325

BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5377&p=106362#p106362
Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

Name: Bobby
Vehicle Year: 2003

by DustinC1989 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:32 pm

v7guy wrote:Why not just put the spindle through the bumper cover, off the frame rail like Karo did? (I think it was Karo that did it that way.)
The only reason I bring it up is that a bracket and a swing arm would be a lot more simple.

I'd love something like that, same with the way he did his winch.

If you can make something like that when you get back to making bumpers I'll be the first in line driving down to get it
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin

by bartonmd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:53 pm

v7guy wrote:Why not just put the spindle through the bumper cover, off the frame rail like Karo did? (I think it was Karo that did it that way.)

If I was going to do this as an end point, not an "along the way," then I would. I would like to be able to take it off and have no giant holes in the bumper cover. I'd also like to be able to sell my rear bumper cover when I do build myself a rear bumper.

Mike
bartonmd

by bartonmd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:02 pm

DustinC1989 wrote:

I'd love something like that, same with the way he did his winch.

If you can make something like that when you get back to making bumpers I'll be the first in line driving down to get it

The only reason he did both of those is because he has to keep the stock bumpers, per national law where he lives. The rear is less of a hindrance, but the front really kills his approach angle using the stock bumper, vs. a steel bumper.

Mike
bartonmd

by Trail X » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Looks like a good design Mike. I'm amazed you can do that in 8 hrs!

I was going to suggest against under brackets though. I think you'd probably be happy with a way to tighten down your bumper to the hitch itself. That will also keep it compatible with any vehicle. Just a thought.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 am

I'm going to have a piece of DOM with 5/8" I.D. for the pin to go through, and the pin will be a bolt, that I can tighten down. Also, in the forward part of the bottom of the receiver, I'm going to have a nut welded inside the tube, and bolt up through the bottom of the hitch, into the tube. We'll see how that works out, but I'm not against making the struts, and having them go onto one of the rear bumper mounting bolts.

Mike
bartonmd

by Trail X » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:08 pm

I don't follow the dom tube thing, is the tube going to be threaded? Otherwise your bolt won't be doing anything but squeezing the receiver. Unless I just didn't follow.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Next

Return to Fab Work