Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Spare Tire Carrier

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by axo488 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:40 pm

ImageSo I decided to start my spare tire carrier build today. After some research on James' carrier built through a fab shop and the dislikes he had with his I took some notes and started to fab.Image
This picture is of the pre cut-to-length receiver that will pose as the pass through receiver/shackle mount/hinge for the tire mount that is still to be built...hopefully tomorrow.
The bottom bolt is the pivot bolt, the second bolt will hold the mount in the raised position and the top hole is for the upper half to be bolted to. I wanted the upper half to be removable from the bottom half in case I want to add a different accessory such as a grill or anything else I might need.

This shows the hinge in the lowered position which will hopefully allow for the mount to be parallel to the ground. The extended receiver still has to be cut to length and the reinforcement welded to the end to keep from cracking the corners when there is a load. Also there has to be a piece welded to the top of the hinge on the side closest to the vehicle so the upper half of the holder wont fall toward the back glass! I plan to add a mount for a table to be installed when the tire is in the parallel position.

I notched and tapered the rearmost edge to allow for the hinge to lay parallel properly. Please excuse the welds...i never claimed to be a welder! If all goes well I will be able to get the upper half of the mount built tomorrow. Working at break time at work only allows for so much time to fabricate but I will do my best to keep this up to date.

So I got a bit more work done on the Carrier over the past few days. I know its not professionally fabricated (nor is it finished) but Im pretty happy with it so far. Do wish I would have moved it a bit closer to the vehicle but it will have to do...not starting over now!
It isn't finished yet. I still have to get the correct hardware, possibly gusset the angled section, reinforce the receiver end, and disassemble to powder coating. Im pretty happy with it thus far although my wife says it ugly.
Axo488
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you up with experience!
axo488
Cruiser

Name: Paul Allan
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Blazintrails03 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 pm

I was actually thinking of doing something like this or the hitch haul idea. It looks like this would be even more compact than the hitch haul and you're not always stuck with that tongue and ball sticking out so far. How is this working out for you?
The unofficial hat guy of ORTB viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4325

BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5377&p=106362#p106362
Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

Name: Bobby

by Conner299 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:35 pm

What are the plans for the license plate? Any?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Cable810 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Looks super nice!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by SaltWaterDrinker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Great work! Curious - what happens if you go to a bigger tire?
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh

by JCrayton99 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Definitely gusset it. Worst case its over kill.
JCrayton99
Trail-Blazer

Name: John Crayton
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Fab Work