Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

My Own Skids

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by Jblazin82 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:18 am

I decided to make my own skid plates. I really like MDB's but can't afford them. So I went and bought some metal and this is what I came up with. I know it does not have square edges but that's what I get for free handing the cut off wheel. Oil skid came out nice. Need to change a couple things on the radiator skip. And the green paint is for my son. Its his favorite color, so don't laugh at it.

Lets hear those opinions!! :raspberry:
Jblazin82

Name: Joe
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:32 am

I have an entire truck painted that color... :mrgreen:
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by dvanbramer88 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 am

Nice welds.
The oil pan skid looks like a tank.
The Rad skid is as good as you can get without the support bars or tying into the rad mounts like MDB designed. Your design doesn't look like the strongest thing out there, but it is certainly much better than nothing. It should do it's job just fine.
What thickness/guage steel did you use?
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:42 am

Nice work.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Cable810 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:58 am

Nice
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by navigator » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:29 am

I was thinking along the same lines as Dave. The oil skid looks stout. On the rad skid I know we can't see everything from the pictures but it looks like if you bump a good sized rock or log it would fold over into the radiator.

I realize that it is much better than no protection and as (I think) Roadie said the Rad skid is as much to let you know an obstacle is too tall as it is protection. Is there more support we can't see, is there more work you are planning to do to reinforce or is it possibly you don't need as much protection as some others.

I also wonder if having it a straight shot from the front vertical plate to the oil skid would work better to deflect things and if you happen to hit something slide over it more easily. It looks like that fold (while stiffening the plate) might actually catch you on an obstacle instead of helping you over it.

I'm asking a lot of questions, I like to understand the reasons behind choices. I have also been thinking about how to build one myself. I think mine would be easier because I have a front hitch I can tie it into but I like to see other folks ideas as well.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Jblazin82 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:53 am

dvanbramer88 wrote:Nice welds.
The oil pan skid looks like a tank.
The Rad skid is as good as you can get without the support bars or tying into the rad mounts like MDB designed. Your design doesn't look like the strongest thing out there, but it is certainly much better than nothing. It should do it's job just fine.
What thickness/guage steel did you use?

I used 3/16. I am going to making some changes to the rad skid. The fold piece was already bent when I bought it. I bought scrap pieces from the local metal supplier to make the rad skid.
Jblazin82

by Trail X » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Not bad. If you really want to strengthen up that radiator skid, I'd suggest cutting 3 triangular ribs to run front-to back across under the existing skid. Make them reach as far back to the oil plate as possible. Then plate on top of it, in a diagonal slope connecting the front lip with the oil pan connector. That should provide some good rigidity against most anything you may throw at it. Only worry then would be the small cantilever out from the oil pan frame area.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bartonmd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Nothing wrong with making stuff, yourself!

The only suggestion I have is to weld on some triangle pieces that would make the front as wide as the radiator supports, then taper back to nothing before the bend down to the IFS subframe. Also, since you're only mounted to the lower mounts on the front of the (not very strong) radiator supports, I'd go from the modified triangle part I talked about above, and bolt to the rear side of the radiator support, and go up to the bottom of the frame with it. Basically, similar to how mine are done, except mine taper down to the IFS subframe, and yours will taper as it goes straight back, then down to the IFS subframe.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:17 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Not bad. If you really want to strengthen up that radiator skid, I'd suggest cutting 3 triangular ribs to run front-to back across under the existing skid. Make them reach as far back to the oil plate as possible. Then plate on top of it, in a diagonal slope connecting the front lip with the oil pan connector. That should provide some good rigidity against most anything you may throw at it. Only worry then would be the small cantilever out from the oil pan frame area.

Yes, this too! ^^^

Mike
bartonmd

by Jblazin82 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Not bad. If you really want to strengthen up that radiator skid, I'd suggest cutting 3 triangular ribs to run front-to back across under the existing skid. Make them reach as far back to the oil plate as possible. Then plate on top of it, in a diagonal slope connecting the front lip with the oil pan connector. That should provide some good rigidity against most anything you may throw at it. Only worry then would be the small cantilever out from the oil pan frame area.

That was my plan. James I also was planning on your idea too.
Jblazin82

by bartonmd » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:01 pm

FYI, you quoted James and said you were going to use his idea, too?

Mike
bartonmd

by Jblazin82 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 pm

I meant to quote you Mike then refer to James post. Guess thats what I get for posting from a phone. Anyways I will post updates when they happen may be some tonight or Sunday. Thanks again for everyone's advice and pointers. :friday:
Jblazin82

by Jblazin82 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:13 am

So I made a new rad skid plate awhile ago. Here are some pics. It's all one piece. Where it is welded the sheet metal is bent. Don't have access to a brake to make the bends so I cut half way through the 3/16 steal then heated with torch and bent with bfp's. (big f#*~ing pliers). Then I welded the seams up. I am going to box in the lower rad supports since that is my mounting point in the front.
Jblazin82

by VelociJuris » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 am

Nice work
VelociJuris
Cruiser

Name: Matthew
Vehicle: GMC Envoy