Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

On Board Air

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by teebes » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Just quick run down of the latest iteration of my on board air. The compressor has been moved to a utility area in the rear along w/ my secondary battery (which powers the comressor). I have a master switch in series of a viair pressure switch/relay combo (mounted via the tank).

A shop then fabbed up some brackets for the tank, but goofed and mounted it sideways :evil: This tilted the water drain valve to the site - which isn't all that useful. I'm hoping Neil can help resolve this and create a little angle bracket to attach to the bracket thus turning the tank to an 'upright' position. On to the pics:

Overall I'm happy with the location and little extra juice the tank provides. It's a viair 2.5gallon. I didn't purchase a full out viair kit, cause they are way over priced (IMO). Instead, I'm merely using one of their tanks and pressure switches which I was able to get at a discounted price :) Everything else I gathered up myself - so far, so good :)
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:07 pm

So the drain valve is on the lower side of the T fitting? If you rotate the tank, your pressure switch will be hanging out pretty low eh?

I've seen those pressure switches. I always thought they seemed large, are they adjustable?

I've sorta begun piecing together a kit for myself, and saw these little guys, which seemed a bit more compact and simple:

Also, what made you decide to go with the 2.5 gallon tank? I was looking at a 5 gallon tank. I guess either way you are able to have on-demand high pressure air. It's a matter of deciding what sort of run-time and cycle time you want on the compressor.

What compressor are you running, and where did you hide it?! That's been one of my major dilemmas. I was thinking about coring out the right-side pannel in the rear of the truck and hiding the compressor behind the removable panel (for easy maintenance).

Looks like a cool kit! :safari:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by teebes » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 am

JamesDowning wrote:So the drain valve is on the lower side of the T fitting? If you rotate the tank, your pressure switch will be hanging out pretty low eh?

There is another port on the other side of the pressure switch which currently has a pressure relief valve. My plan is to rotate that to the bottom which will flip the switch/relay to the top and totally out of the way
JamesDowning wrote:I've seen those pressure switches. I always thought they seemed large, are they adjustable?

Nope, they come predefined with on/off just like the little ones. It was attractive as it includes the relay in the bulk and simplifies things a touch. I had a little pressure switch similar to the one you posted on the last iteration of my setup, but it died :hissyfit: This was a quick fix which is working out nicely so far.
JamesDowning wrote:Also, what made you decide to go with the 2.5 gallon tank? I was looking at a 5 gallon tank. I guess either way you are able to have on-demand high pressure air. It's a matter of deciding what sort of run-time and cycle time you want on the compressor.[/quote/]
Originally I had tried a 5gl from viair, actually still have it out in the garage. It seemed to hang a tad too low when the fab shop was working on the install. Blame our damn rear crossmember!!

If I get time, I'll try snapping some pics of both tanks, maybe even temporarily swap tanks if folks would like to see the difference. Maybe I'll convince myself to leave the 5gl on if it's not too bad :gimp:
JamesDowning wrote:What compressor are you running, and where did you hide it?! That's been one of my major dilemmas. I was thinking about coring out the right-side pannel in the rear of the truck and hiding the compressor behind the removable panel (for easy maintenance).

It's labeled as a Puma compressor from ebay (that comes attached to a 1.5gl tank), but these are re-badged ExtremeAir compressors :woot: http://www.extremeoutback.com/index.cgi?cart_id=4107261.9895&pid=30. Saved a bunch of money and still got a sweet compressor :)

Full duty!!! 3/4hp!!! Up to 150psi!!!! SCORE :woot: I'll have to take pics of my compressor mount setup. It's sitting in the rear of my truck next to my aux battery and storage stuff. Yes, I've kinda been holing back on my build over the past few months. Will need to start a build thread I 'spose ;)
teebes
Founder

by teebes » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Finally got around to getting some pics of the 5gl vs 2.5 gl tanks from viair. The 5gl is roughly 2-3inches shorter than the 2.5gl and has some obvious girth to it :poke:
It sticks down probably 3-4 inches than the 2.5 currently does.

Pics uploading now... :friday:
teebes
Founder

by teebes » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm

teebes
Founder

by teebes » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:47 pm

:flower:
teebes
Founder

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:55 pm

teebes wrote:Finally got around to getting some pics of the 5gl vs 2.5 gl tanks from viair. The 5gl is roughly 2-3inches shorter than the 2.5gl and has some obvious girth to it :poke:

Better call me next time you buy Viair... I've been dealing their product for the last 7 years..
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by teebes » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:58 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:
teebes wrote:Finally got around to getting some pics of the 5gl vs 2.5 gl tanks from viair. The 5gl is roughly 2-3inches shorter than the 2.5gl and has some obvious girth to it :poke:

Better call me next time you buy Viair... I've been dealing their product for the last 7 years..

Doh! Hey, another product line you guys can pimp for us :friday: :idea:

If I get bored this week I might just try and swap tanks for some better clearance pics. Not sure if the mounting legs are the same distance apart.
teebes
Founder

Return to Fab Work