Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Roof Rack Awning

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:04 am

Started work on an Awning for the side or rear of roof rack. Not sure how I want to connect it yet, either hard mounted to one side of the rack or a EZ setup that I can switch sides of rack without tools. If I do the hard mount I will need to make a storage solution that it mounts in. Kinda like the quick set up, maybe store it in some pvc bolted to the rack and just pull it out and connect it to whatever side of the truck is best at the moment.

Couldn't find any Sunbrella style fabric so I was about to get duct canvass but ended up with a tighter woven fabric that should be easier to water proof.

Made the canvass today with help from my Mom and her industrial sewing machine! Just need to install the grommets, then figure out the rest. It's 5'x7' with the 5' side connecting to the rack and going out 7' off truck.

Anyone know where I can get telescoping poles or happen to have a messed up canopy I can cannibalis the legs from?

The tool

The canvass so far
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by navigator » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:45 am

You might be able to find those legs in the camping section of Walmart or Dick's. I remember seeing the fiberglass kind that connect together(at my local Walmart), unsure if I saw the metal/telescopic kind.

For a short term solution on the legs you might could use some PVC cut to length. You wouldn't have any adjustment but it should work in a pinch. You could drill a hole in an end cap and put a 1/4 X 2 inch bolt through it and use a nut to hold it in place and the extra length would stick through your grommet.

If you wanted to get "fancy" with the PVC you could cut the poles in half and use male/female threaded couplings so they would pack easier.

A simple way to attach it to the rack, you could use zip ties and put them through the grommets loose and thread a rod (more PVC, a fiberglass pole, curtain rod etc) on the roof rack side. When you attach the legs the tension should pull the rod tight against your rack and hold everything in place.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:25 am

Nice start Rory.

Regarding collapsible poles, my walmart sells some in their camping section. They work alright, but the pins in the top are not the most durable. Another idea for you could be collapsible paint roller extension poles.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by djthumper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:08 pm

My Walmart carries some pole from Coleman. They work alright but not the greatest.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Nice. Be waiting to see the mounts as i been wanting an awning for the lil one
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by fishsticks » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Could use two different sizes of PVC (or EMT). Slide one inside the other, drill holes and use pins to hold them extended.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:00 pm

So I found some extendable paint roller poles from Lowes, I got the best ones they had as they were the only ones with metal tips and they also ahve push button height adjustment which I liked more than the twist to lock ones.

The pole tips are somewhat hollow which works out good cause I just drilled them out, Ran some carage bolts through and topped with a nut and a wingnut to hold the canvass on.
The push button adjustable poles - $25 each

Just connected with zip ties to truck right now, thinking of either U-bolts or drilling a hole in the roof rack tubes and filling with foam and running bolts through and use wingnuts for a quick way todoing grommets mount and I can put these on the other side so it will switch sides if need be.

7 grommets on top edge, bolted to 5ft long angle iron. My first time doing grommets and easier to do than I figured it would be.
NC_IslandRunner

by Mudwheelin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:59 pm

Looks really cool man! Good job.
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007

by djthumper » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:36 pm

You can use heavy duty velcro
djthumper

Name: Larry

by galacticfuzz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Looks good. Gotta get pics of mine up, though not as impressive. I use the bungee balls. There at home depot for a reasonable price too. Basically a piece of bungee cord attached to a ball.
Build Thread
“Set out from any point. They are all alike. They all lead to a point of departure.”
― Antonio Porchia
galacticfuzz
Off-Roader

Name: Drew
Vehicle Year: 2007

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:18 pm

On a side note, When I went to my local fab shop to get the angle iron cut to length today the guy was on top his shop, his grandpa and another guy were on the ground and he was saying he couldn't find it. I asked if he was have A/C issues cause he was standing next ot the unit, No he was lookng for his experimental rocket.... I thought he was kidding until he came down and we walked into his shop.

They were messing with them out back and the first one did nothing, the second one did this and thanlfully his bay door was open.

It went through the open bay, then through the front wall.

It must have landed in the woods 150-200yds away cause he couldn't find it.
I was like Dude your in town your gonna get in some shit if hit something.
He said he has video of it and may post it to youtube, if he does I'll link it here.
NC_IslandRunner

by Trail X » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 am

Awning looks great Rory. The extension poles look like they worked really well too!

I might be heading to the beach this weekend, so I may copy your setup real quick before heading down. How well does it pack down? Do you keep the awning on the outside of the vehicle?
Trail X
Founder

by navigator » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:52 am

Rory, I know you thought this through, what is the advantage of the fabric you used over say a cheap tarp that already is water proof with grommets?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks guys

James, I think I'm going to mount a box or pvc tube on the rack and just slide it out and use wingnuts to hook to side of rack. Also thought of mounting on a dowl and having it where I can roll it up into the tube and leave it mounted to side of rack but I like being able to move it to any side of rack.

Navigator, The fabric I used is for durability and looks, I just didn't want it to look cheap. I could have built this for under $40 if I really wanted to - 2 twist paint extensions -$10 each, one tarp $5, string $1 and some zip ties I aready have and it would have been like $30 tops. I was gonna use duct cloth but the fabric I used has a tighter weave and I think it will water proof better. I did have some of the stuff they use for billboards but I gave it away a while ago, this was my original plan for it I just couldn't figure out how I wanted to do it. I should get some more I can get it for free from a guy that drives trucks at work, and it is almost impossible to rip the stuff.

Hopefully friday I can finish the mounts for the rack and water proof the fabric weather permitting.
NC_IslandRunner

by navigator » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:24 am

good luck on it man, it is looking good.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by mikekey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:28 am

I had thought about doing this. You know they sell the parts to make a roller shade. And most awnings are just big roller shades anyways. So I don't see why you couldn't make your own roller attachment either.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:32 pm

I've been working on remounting my BajaRack and have ditched the stock rail system for a Superstrut like Bill's. Anyway I took it off a while back and I must have been looking for some hardware cause I removed one of the mounts and cannot find it. So if anyone has one they are not using anymore and wouldn't mind selling it let me know. Maybe James isn't using all of his since he cut his rack up.

If not I'll figure out a new mounting system.
NC_IslandRunner

by Trail X » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:04 am

I might have one Rory (do you just need the two metal pieces pictured above?). I'll try to root through my crap pile later and see if I still have a couple laying around.
Trail X
Founder

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:48 pm

JamesDowning wrote:I might have one Rory (do you just need the two metal pieces pictured above?). I'll try to root through my crap pile later and see if I still have a couple laying around.

Yeah, that's all I need.
NC_IslandRunner

by Trail X » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Gah, I forgot about this till just now. I'll send myself a note to check at home.
Trail X
Founder

Next

Return to Fab Work