Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Spare tire carrier on lift gate

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by OregTrailBlazin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:09 pm

bartonmd wrote:How on earth is that less complicated than welding a second receiver to a standard tire carrier and using the bike carrier you already have?
Mike

Dunno... Wasn't implying yours was complicated in any way, just throwing out ideas.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:10 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:
bartonmd wrote:How on earth is that less complicated than welding a second receiver to a standard tire carrier and using the bike carrier you already have?
Mike

Dunno... Wasn't implying yours was complicated in any way, just throwing out ideas.

Oh, I agree... I was just asking because he said "that's a lot less complex than what Mike just said"...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by rjpoog1989 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:20 pm

I guess it's not really, but assuming I did what you said, I'd still have to modify my current bike carrier. Unless i'm imagining your proposed setup completely wrong.

Any way you slice it, I still don't see why mounting the tire to the hatch wouldn't work. I'f you look at the picture in the op, I can't see how that hatch is any stronger than ours. Ya, we've got the plastic license plate holder. But the way I invasion it, you ditch that, because it leaks anyway, because it's a piss poor design. I think I would use a more solid piece of metal, for the whole lower part of the hatch, and weld the tire mount to that. Then bed liner the whole thing, rig a new handle, and there she is. Along with new shocks and possibly strengthen the hinges, but I really don't see the need for the latter.

Also, I can't see this being any harder than building a new rear bumper, which is another option. I've also considered doing something like Karo, which still isn't that easy.
Ryan

Rule #76: "No excuses, play like a champion"
rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

Name: Ryan Papuga
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by chevycrew » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:33 am

I say try it, but, pick up a used gate to try it on, that way when the sheetmetal tears from the added weight, you can put your factory one back on.

I think the metal will tear where the hinges attach, and the lift strut mounting points will also tear from the gate, and/or the body from the added stresses of heavier struts (if you can get them)
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve
Vehicle Year: 2002

by The Roadie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:29 am

chevycrew wrote:I think the metal will tear where the hinges attach, and the lift strut mounting points will also tear from the gate, and/or the body from the added stresses of heavier struts (if you can get them)
... and then everybody dies and the universe comes to end in a puff of greasy smoke. :wallbash:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:54 am

Try it...
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:12 am

rjpoog1989 wrote:I guess it's not really, but assuming I did what you said, I'd still have to modify my current bike carrier. Unless i'm imagining your proposed setup completely wrong.

Any way you slice it, I still don't see why mounting the tire to the hatch wouldn't work. I'f you look at the picture in the op, I can't see how that hatch is any stronger than ours. Ya, we've got the plastic license plate holder. But the way I invasion it, you ditch that, because it leaks anyway, because it's a piss poor design. I think I would use a more solid piece of metal, for the whole lower part of the hatch, and weld the tire mount to that. Then bed liner the whole thing, rig a new handle, and there she is. Along with new shocks and possibly strengthen the hinges, but I really don't see the need for the latter.

Also, I can't see this being any harder than building a new rear bumper, which is another option. I've also considered doing something like Karo, which still isn't that easy.

You didn't post a picture of your current bike carrier, or a model, but I assume that it comes out at least a little from the end of the receiver. Worst case, you weld on the 2" receiver for the tire carrier a little farther out than the main one that comes on the carrier. See the square receiver in James' picture below? Just weld another one right on top of the main one, and stick your tire carrier in it. It's 15 minutes, a $12 6" receiver from Rural King, and 10" of weld.

The one you posted is COMPLETELY different than what you want to do, for a couple reasons, moment being one of them. That doesn't look like a very big (or heavy) tire on the one you posted, and it's not as far out as yours would be away from the hinge, and his struts are out at the tire, and mount very low, where ours don't. I'd bet he's got a piano hinge going all the way across the thing, into some reasonably thick metal. We've got a couple small hinges into slightly reinforced body sheetmetal, and a couple of ball mounts for the gas struts into not very reinforced body sheetmetal.

You can go ahead and do it if you don't believe me. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done and work 3 days later. I am, however, saying that it'll be completely dicked in less than a year.

Mike
bartonmd

by boog2006 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:19 am

Well this has been a great conversation. I feel like I contributed to the site!

I'm leaning toward more of the combination tire/bike carrier fore my mission as well.

I like the concept of a fold down tire carrier with a receiver slot in the opening of the wheel to accommodate a bike carrier arm.

Since I'm poor on welding knowledge and supplies, I'd love to support a fellow member's fab skills with some funding. :)

Takers?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent

by bartonmd » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:15 pm

boog2006 wrote:Well this has been a great conversation. I feel like I contributed to the site!

I'm leaning toward more of the combination tire/bike carrier fore my mission as well.

I like the concept of a fold down tire carrier with a receiver slot in the opening of the wheel to accommodate a bike carrier arm.

Since I'm poor on welding knowledge and supplies, I'd love to support a fellow member's fab skills with some funding. :)

Takers?

If you need it like right now, I'm out, but if you can wait a few months, you can come up here (Indy) on a Saturday, and we can make one, soup to nuts...

Mike
bartonmd

by boog2006 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:44 pm

bartonmd wrote:
If you need it like right now, I'm out, but if you can wait a few months, you can come up here (Indy) on a Saturday, and we can make one, soup to nuts...

Mike

Sounds like a plan. Especially if there's shopping I can drop the wife at. ;)
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent

Previous

Return to Fab Work