Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Spare tire carrier on lift gate

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by boog2006 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:51 pm

I found this and didn't find a thread on this design.

What's our limiting factor? Hinge strength?

Obviously would need new shocks.

Boog2006
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 pm

the hinges shouldn't be a problem, need stout gas shocks, biggest issue is with mounting.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Rob93 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Makes more sense to mount to the hitch, or to the bumper, rather than sheet metal on the hatch
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob
DriveTrain: 2WD

by steveroche » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Also, there isn't much sheet metal to even attach to in the center section. It's mostly plastic where the license plate goes on. So you would have to put it off to the side, and even then, the metal is curved, so mounting would be messed up by that factor. On the mount in your picture, that gate is flat, so it can sit flush with the metal, I feel like the curve of our hatch would mess things up a bit.
steveroche
Addict

Name: Steve Roche
Vehicle Year: 2003

by boog2006 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:12 pm

So assuming the mount to the hatch was reinforced this shouldn't be a problem?

Could simply have some flat stock on the inside of the door with an internal brace to the latch area...

I have just begun to think about this so I'll look into this a little deeper.

Boog2006
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

by rjpoog1989 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:59 am

Now see this I never thought of... This could be the answer to potential problems I've seen with me attaching a spare in other already done locations. I think this could be done, now you'll just have to wait, as I'm not stepping up on tire size for at least a year. It'll be at least that long until I begin to look into this more heavily. Seeing this has made my day :twisted:
Ryan

Rule #76: "No excuses, play like a champion"
rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

Name: Ryan Papuga
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:55 am

I wouldn't... You'd have to do different lift struts that I'm not sure exist in that length at the weight you'd need (you'll be more than doubling what they have to lift), and the hinges are designed for what the lift gate weighs + usually 10% margin, and you're talking about putting a 110% more weight on them. Plus, if you look at the forces, the hinge would also be put under double that stress when the thing is closed; because it not only is holding up the tire, but with the angles of the gas struts, they're also pushing down on the hinge double as hard as the stock ones were.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Trail X » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:06 am

Biggest issue I see = how do you reach your lift gate handle?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:16 am

I agree with Mike. A 90 pound tire/wheel combo is going to apply a lot more stress to the hinge and strut mounts, both in the liftgate and in the vehicle.

Same reason we haven't seen anybody fab up a traditional swing-away carrier mounted to the taillight body area. The inside of the vehicle would have to be beefed up to the point it's no longer a cheap mod.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by OregTrailBlazin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:13 pm

rjpoog1989 wrote:... This could be the answer to potential problems I've seen with me attaching a spare in other already done locations.

Whats the issue with the other setups? The fact its already been done?

bartonmd wrote:I wouldn't... You'd have to do different lift struts that I'm not sure exist in that length at the weight you'd need (you'll be more than doubling what they have to lift), and the hinges are designed for what the lift gate weighs + usually 10% margin, and you're talking about putting a 110% more weight on them. Plus, if you look at the forces, the hinge would also be put under double that stress when the thing is closed; because it not only is holding up the tire, but with the angles of the gas struts, they're also pushing down on the hinge double as hard as the stock ones were.

I'm pretty sure you could get the struts, those things are made in so many variations, but I completely agree its not going to be strong enough. I picture the hatch trying to bend against the super heavy struts when your trying to close it. Much like my first cars hood (82Fbody) when I tried to something like this in highschool..
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by boog2006 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:Whats the issue with the other setups? The fact its already been done?

Pretty much. Looking to do something different. Hate to just copy everyone's ideas for mine. But, dang it y'all done all the cool stuff!
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:19 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:
bartonmd wrote:I wouldn't... You'd have to do different lift struts that I'm not sure exist in that length at the weight you'd need (you'll be more than doubling what they have to lift), and the hinges are designed for what the lift gate weighs + usually 10% margin, and you're talking about putting a 110% more weight on them. Plus, if you look at the forces, the hinge would also be put under double that stress when the thing is closed; because it not only is holding up the tire, but with the angles of the gas struts, they're also pushing down on the hinge double as hard as the stock ones were.

I'm pretty sure you could get the struts, those things are made in so many variations, but I completely agree its not going to be strong enough. I picture the hatch trying to bend against the super heavy struts when your trying to close it. Much like my first cars hood (82Fbody) when I tried to something like this in highschool..

I dono, man... We're using the heaviest ones McMaster has in around that size (275#) on a current project at wrok, and they just BARELY hold up drawers with about 1/2 the moment he's talking about, here... At that point, you get to asking yourself some serious questions about whether or not the stock spheres that the sockets slip onto can support that kind of weight.

Mike
bartonmd

by rjpoog1989 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:28 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:
rjpoog1989 wrote:... This could be the answer to potential problems I've seen with me attaching a spare in other already done locations.

Whats the issue with the other setups? The fact its already been done?

I need the spare to be as close to the hatch as possible. I do a lot or mountain biking, I have a hitch mounted carrier for my bikes that leaves barely enough room for me to mount a spare in that location. I refuse to but the tire and/or bikes on the roof. Right now I have the tire in the OEM location, which sucks, cuz it's all beat to hell from bashing it off rocks, and what not.
The only issue I see with this mounting location is the handle to open the hatch. Everything else can be strengthened.
Ryan

rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:38 pm

So... you're just trying to make room for a hitch mounted bike carrier?

Why won't it fit in the receiver extension of a receiver mounted spare tire carrier?

Mike
bartonmd

by rjpoog1989 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:52 pm

I tow off of the bike carrier, it has a 2000 lb rating.

edit: My mission makes life difficult. I've got a lot of hobbies, and most of them involve this vehicle in some way. It's hard because I don't want to make sacrifice any capability.
Ryan

rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Then why wouldn't you take a tire carrier and put 2 receivers on it, and tow with one, and put your bike carrier in the other?

Mike
bartonmd

by OregTrailBlazin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Or fab an extension off the front of the wheel stud part of the carrier that holds a bike. Not much to a bike carrier, allot of people incorporate a highlift holder, fuel/water cans, tables. I'm sure you can get a bike on there too without over-complicating it.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by rjpoog1989 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:Or fab an extension off the front of the wheel stud part of the carrier that holds a bike. Not much to a bike carrier, allot of people incorporate a highlift holder, fuel/water cans, tables. I'm sure you can get a bike on there too without over-complicating it.

I've actually seen that done, there's a guy with a Jeep who lives nearby that has one. It's not a bad idea, and far less complex than what mike just said. At any rate, it's all going to wait until i get new tires, which has to wait until i regear.
Ryan

rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

by Trail X » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:23 pm

I think I'd have room to mount a tire carrier in my hitch without much issue. My tire only sticks out an estimated 8" from the face of the receiver.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:30 pm

rjpoog1989 wrote:
OregTrailBlazin wrote:Or fab an extension off the front of the wheel stud part of the carrier that holds a bike. Not much to a bike carrier, allot of people incorporate a highlift holder, fuel/water cans, tables. I'm sure you can get a bike on there too without over-complicating it.

I've actually seen that done, there's a guy with a Jeep who lives nearby that has one. It's not a bad idea, and far less complex than what mike just said. At any rate, it's all going to wait until i get new tires, which has to wait until i regear.

How on earth is that less complicated than welding a second receiver to a standard tire carrier and using the bike carrier you already have?

Mike
bartonmd

Next

Return to Fab Work