Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Help me build my rear storage!

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by Philberto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Hey everybody,

So I was supposed to measure the TB today to get prepped for planning my rear cargo area, and then it dawned on me: I should have you guys help me through the planning process! This will be my first offroad/expedition rig, and I'd like to hear from everybody here... sort of a cargo area "by offroadtb.com."

Here are my needs:
*Removable toolbox (I only have one set of tools)
*Room for (2) 7-gallon aquatainers, preferably towards the front of the vehicle for easier plumbing
*Must retain usage of rear seats, but don't need to be able to have headrests folded down.
*Rear window visibility isn't necessary, but it would be nice when I'm not fully packed
*Retains access to storage cubbies or incorporate them into design, including the one on the cargo area floor.
*Room for fridge... Dimensions will be same as Engel 45 (I'm looking at an edgestar 45) on sliding drawer or fridge drop slide (roadie and james should know what this is)
*Of course, must strap down/turnbuckle down securely to vehicle...
*Area for 800w inverter

And here are my wants:
*Locking drawers/cabinets/fridge slides/etc. (If somebody breaks into the back, I want them to leave empty-handed.
*Kitchen counter/Cooking area
*Tie-down hooks on any flat surfaces.
*convertible or contains room to sit for one person with legs hanging out of rear of TB
*Would like some way to utilize space between pillars and windows (not much space, I know, but it could make for a nice cubby or for heating stuff idk)
*Would prefer to not drill holes in vehicle
*Possible extra functionality if rear seats are folded down (like more storage, fold-down shelves, etc...)
*Trash bag hanger!

I've read the storage threads on ExPo, and I've seen Bill and JD's storage solutions, but I'd like any input you guys have to give... Also, if anybody has dimensions on the interior cargo area , I'd love to have them, otherwise I'll measure them myself... I'll also keep updating this thread throughout the design and build process, hopefully better than my threads on the OS. :oops:

-edit: Oh, and James/Bill if there's anything you wish you had done different on your builds, please let me know too!

And if anybody can think of anything on the list I might have missed, please let me know. This cargo area is basically meant to be functional for camping and the like, while remaining secure and quiet during travel. I am currently using an Action Packer, 2 7-gallon Aquatainers, and a craftsman portable tool box in the rear, held down with ratchet straps.

Thanks in advance,

-Phil :flex dirty:
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:57 am

*tap* *tap* hello?
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Philberto wrote:*tap* *tap* hello?
Give us some time, dude. Some of us can't sit at the computer all day :work: :poke:
I will say this as of now, that's a good start. :cheers: Keep thinking, you're real good at that. :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:13 pm

I know these are very expensive. Might just justify one in my truck though.http://www.tacticalstoragesystems.com/suv.htm :coffee:Remembering the 46" width and staggered depth because of the rear seats. Here's one more http://www.truck-tool-box.com/ssb-series.php :cheers:
Ok I'm on a roll. This might be what we're looking for.http://www.lets-getaway.com/storage-drawers.htm
Ok, Ok, one more http://www.odysseyauto.com/cabinets/cabinet_index.html
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:54 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:
Give us some time, dude. Some of us can't sit at the computer all day :work: :poke:
I will say this as of now, that's a good start. :cheers: Keep thinking, you're real good at that. :thumleft:

haha sorry, I was just looking for ideas really... nothing necessarily concrete, just features that people have thought of that might be useful for incorporating into the design, like cool latches, folding drawers, etc...

And believe me, I'd much rather be :camping: somewhere than sitting in my office at the computer. :coffee:
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Philberto wrote:
bgwolfpack wrote:

haha sorry, I was just looking for ideas really... nothing necessarily concrete, just features that people have thought of that might be useful for incorporating into the design, like cool latches, folding drawers, etc...

And believe me, I'd much rather be :camping: somewhere than sitting in my office at the computer. :coffee:
Got a home depot or Lowes near by?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:10 pm

I've got both, as well as a harbor freight, fastenal, 4wheelparts, walmart, etc.

I haunt my local Home dePot and sometimes make it up to ventura for the lowes, and I'm always looking at ideas. I know what parts there are, I'm just trying to figure out novel ways to use them!
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Philberto wrote:I've got both, as well as a harbor freight, fastenal, 4wheelparts, walmart, etc.

I haunt my local Home dePot and sometimes make it up to ventura for the lowes, and I'm always looking at ideas. I know what parts there are, I'm just trying to figure out novel ways to use them!

That's not surprising. I like the idea of encapsulating the rear area completely separate from the rear seat area.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:48 pm

Hmm... how encapsulated are we talking here? Weather-tight encapsulating? Or just cargo divider encapsulating?
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Philberto wrote:Hmm... how encapsulated are we talking here? Weather-tight encapsulating? Or just cargo divider encapsulating?

:thumright: Wrong word sorry. Partitioned would be more appropriate. :cheers: :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Ah yeah, I know what you mean... I was thinking of a cage cargo divider (like those found on utility vans) to keep anything from taking out the people in the back seat, but I need it to have a latching door in case I can't access the rear of the TB for some reason.
Philberto
Lifer

by cbbryan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:29 am

I've started planning something like this already. I have seen the expensive mfg custom configurations, but I believe I can do better. I'm thinking of a fully custom compartmentalized container allowing full access to the factory cargo holds as well as using the "dead space".

As you know your seat slants back at an angle; well you cannont have a drawer that runs all the way back due to this angle of the seat. BTW you probably don't want your unit to be any longer than 35" on the floor from the back of the seat towards the rear door otherwise you might run into a problem closing it; 35" is safe.

The dead space i was refering to above is dealing with that rearward slant of the back seat; below you can see how I utilize this space. You could essentiall have the half drawer concept i have below and then fully enclose the "dead space" all the way across. You should then ba able to put just about any non-scoped rifle or shotgun in there. You can add dividers as needed in the Drawer unit.

I plan on using 22" runners with 120lbs load capacity which between the drawer and the dead space gives me another storage area in the unit which I think would be great for items you don't plan on using often like a few of the survival esentials. That would put them out of the way so you wouldn't have to rumble past them to get to things you may use quite frequently as well as make them readily accessible.

I plan on securing it to using L-shaped brackets and screwing it into the floor to prevent any movement. I alo plan on putting a lock on the drawer itself to prevent it constantly opening itself upon acceleration.
Attachments
cargo2.jpg
what you would see
(56.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cargo1.jpg
(38.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
cbbryan
Trail-Blazer

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Philberto » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:03 pm

Wow, nice CAD work! Thanks for the info, looks a little like what James did on his setup, but with some extra goodies accessible when the seats are pushed forward. I like the idea of using it for gun storage, but have some trepidation about whether that would constitute a "concealed weapon" under my state's $hitty gun laws.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Philberto wrote:Wow, nice CAD work! Thanks for the info, looks a little like what James did on his setup, but with some extra goodies accessible when the seats are pushed forward. I like the idea of using it for gun storage, but have some trepidation about whether that would constitute a "concealed weapon" under my state's $hitty gun laws.

:thumright: You could ask the question in the gun thread. You can call your local Sheriff department (my choice). You also may follow the graph in the 'Funniest things I've seen all day' thread.
The way you've been talking is to carry this stuff with you all the time. That's a good idea, except for the weapon. :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Yeah, the weapon will be at the house when it's not needed for camping in the car... Or I may just have 1 for the car and one for the house... :coffee: I believe since it's a long-arm, I can stick it wherever I want as long as it's not loaded, and ammo is in a separate area of the car. Will have to ask my sheriff, since I know him personally :mrgreen:
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Philberto wrote:Yeah, the weapon will be at the house when it's not needed for camping in the car... Or I may just have 1 for the car and one for the house... :coffee: I believe since it's a long-arm, I can stick it wherever I want as long as it's not loaded, and ammo is in a separate area of the car. Will have to ask my sheriff, since I know him personally :mrgreen:
:thumright: Or you could get a 'concealed carry' and never be without. That spot behind the seat is perfect for at least two long arms, if not three, Defender style shotgun, large cal. rifle and .22. Perfect. :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm waiting for our sheriff election. Hopefully, the guy who wins is more of a "shall-issue" kinda guy and I can use transporting luxury vehicles worth $50k+ as a good cause.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Philberto wrote:I'm waiting for our sheriff election. Hopefully, the guy who wins is more of a "shall-issue" kinda guy and I can use transporting luxury vehicles worth $50k+ as a good cause.
Forget about the vehicles. It's your ass you want to protect and your loved ones.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:11 pm

True, but in CA, we need a good-cause statement to send to our sheriff to apply for a CCW permit. Self-defense does not qualify as a good-cause statement, unless your personal situation exposes you to significantly more danger than the usual person... Hence, I can use the fact that I transport expensive vehicles to state that I am at a greater-than-average risk for carjacking, and should therefore have a CCW permit to defend myself.

You get what I mean? That's how we have to deal with the gun laws here. The vehicle thing is just an excuse that gets you the permit.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:55 pm

No, I do not get the gun laws in Cal.

Oh wait, I forgot, Cal. is the safest place in the nation. No crimes happen there.No need for the 2nd amendment. :evil:

I'm sorry, it just pisses me off.

Find a way to get one now. Don't wait or you may loose this legal right altogether. :(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:thumright: Been thinking that a tool cabinet might work well for the lower part of the rear storage build, lockable and such. :thumleft:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Next

Return to Fab Work