Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Help me build my rear storage!

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by Trail X » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Phil, I was curious where this project ended up. Have you modified the rear end more? Maybe post an update on your gear situation?

Randy, I don't recall ever seeing a dedicated thread on your setup... any chance we'll see one? Those drawers are sweet!

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:39 am

Hey James, way to bring this thread back from the dead, what with the whole zombie meme we have running around here lately.

The project is currently on standby mode, as are a bunch of other projects, mostly owing to a lack of time and capital.

Also ongoing is a re-evaluation of the design, particularly a location for fridge mounting. Other factors include my current single status, lack of canine companions, and a possible decision to switch from a planned RTT to a more budget and wheeling-friendly in-vehicle sleeping platform.

I'm also looking into whether I need as much dedicated drawer space, as I'm probably going with a removable toolbox and other needs are going to be taken of utilizing a modular system of foldouts on the rear bumper (with dual swingouts) to make as efficient use of the exterior addons as possible.

Gear is the same currently, once again owing to lack of capital. This year is a sort of rebuilding year from the disastrous 2010 I had.

That being said, here are the current thoughts on my requirements for interior organization and utility:

*Compressor is still going to be mounted, providing air to either a bumper container or under-body container mounted flush to the frame rails.
*Power is going to be an issue to organize, as I'd like a finished, integrated product utilizing a minimum of exposed wires, with everything running to an auxiliary circuit breaker panel (no fuses!).
*Auxiliary battery with solar panel charging off the roof rack is going to be integrated into this setup as well, though the battery is probably going to end up mounted under rear seats with the controller in the rear cargo assembly.
*Current plumbing will have to be hard-piped, with quick disconnects running to the water containers for easy cleaning and refilling. This is an issue that I have encountered with the usability of my current system.
*My fridge situation is going to take some figuring out, and I may end up going with a side-open fridge configuration a la sportsmobile.
*Accessibility to the bottom of the cargo floor will need to be there, owing to plans to mount the winch in the rear and run a vector winch system to both front and rear bumper points
*Easy access to medical supplies will be key, so finding a location that is easy to get to, yet secure from the elements is a must.
*Metal recovery hardware will be stored in/on the bumper, saving me some room inside.
*Rear carpet will be removed and replaced with a rubber/vinyl surface, either spray-on or drop-in. This will have a lip to protect the rest of the interior against spills and resulting mold/mildew.

These changes will require much more measurement and planning in cooperation with front and rear bumper/roof rack planning. I'm sort of going to do everything all at once, so I'd like to have an entire package set up and parts purchased before I get into any of it. Do it right, do it once.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 pm

If anyone else is looking to build a rear storage area, this was a really nice build thread I ran across:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/ ... awers.html
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Mudwheelin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Wow! That looks really nice! Looks like a good winter project to tackle. Thanks for the link James.
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by NC_IslandRunner » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:28 am

I need to build something back there too.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by navigator » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:47 am

I was thinking about building one the other day but make mine one wide drawer.
The very end of the drawer would be wide enough I could lock a couple of guns in there and then have the rest of the drawer with couple of dividers to put my straps/misc and some ammunition. I might go duck hunting in the morning and then deer hunting that afternoon and having to lug the guns in and out and the ammo and all that stuff, It would be nice if it was all in the truck.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

Previous

Return to Fab Work