Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Home made Skid plate

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by Flying Monkey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Well finally got my engine skid done. Not the prettiest thing but it should work. Just primed right now, still have to paint it for real. Using military grade undercoating....gotta love working in an amsa shop. Welds arent pretty but it will work and with no gas for welder it was best I could do.

Still have to open drain hole at oil drain some and add 1 or 2 on plate itself and bend the front lip up some

Flying Monkey
Addict

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Mudwheelin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Sweet! Looks good dude! Make sure you make the oil pan bolt area deep enough so that the oil plug doesnt rub on it.
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Gordinho80 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Nice! It should work out nicely. Did you happen to reinforce the sides like Mike does? I think he uses a brake to actually bend the edges up about 1/2" or so, but you could add a piece of rebar and weld. Not sure if it is even necessary, but could be good to have.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Flying Monkey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Yeah I made sure the cone was plenty deep enough for the oil drain. I made the extra plate today cause it was still too close for my liking with test fit yesterday.

No I didnt reinforce the sides. I didnt think it would be needed really, but I may be wrong if mike is doing it. He has alot more experience with it then I do. This is probably just a temp 1 till I can get 1 of his. Ill see how it holds up. I dont plan on many base jumps onto rocks so hoping it does its job lol.
Flying Monkey
Addict

by Gordinho80 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:26 pm

It should work just fine... I was just curious, thats all. How thick is the steel?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Flying Monkey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:30 pm

1/8th inch. It was what was available to me. Total cost is $0.00 in it so cant complain lol. This is also the first time ive actually fabricated something like this.
Flying Monkey
Addict

by janesy86 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Nice work! Always cool to see homemade mods!
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes

by bartonmd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Especially with it only being 1/8 thick, I would put the braces on the sides... makes it have to deformed the plate to bend it in 2 directions at once, rather than just bowing it up in the middle when you just support it front and back...

Cut a couple wedges 2.5 long, and 1/4 in front and 3/8 in rear, and weld them to the sides, for support...

Also, since you are using flux core, a you might want to take your slag off before you paint, as it will come off the first thing you touch with it...

otherwise, looks good!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by Diacom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Not bad for your first go at all. I know I couldn't have done any better, hence my going with Mikes gear.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Flying Monkey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks mike Ill try that. I only made this 1 cause I have so many irons in the fire I couldnt buy 1 yet. I still plan on buying 1....along with a rad skid and hopefully a winch bumper
Flying Monkey
Addict

by bartonmd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Flying Monkey wrote:Thanks mike Ill try that. I only made this 1 cause I have so many irons in the fire I couldnt buy 1 yet. I still plan on buying 1....along with a rad skid and hopefully a winch bumper

I'm cheap, man... Nobody ever has to explain making their own of anything, rather than buying it from me!

Mike
bartonmd

by Flying Monkey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:46 pm

I thought about trying to make a trans skid also. Be alot of metal but I think after briefly looking at it if I was to tack the nuts on the top of the cross member where to pairs of bolts go through under transmission/transfer case, it could be mounted there. Will definitely need to look closer at whats there to work with.

Ive even looked at a 3rd skid under transfer case back to the support bar 1/3 way back under fuel tank....again another large piece of metal.
Flying Monkey
Addict

by bartonmd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:54 pm

Flying Monkey wrote:I thought about trying to make a trans skid also. Be alot of metal but I think after briefly looking at it if I was to tack the nuts on the top of the cross member where to pairs of bolts go through under transmission/transfer case, it could be mounted there. Will definitely need to look closer at whats there to work with.

Ive even looked at a 3rd skid under transfer case back to the support bar 1/3 way back under fuel tank....again another large piece of metal.

Yeah, if other vendors continue to not be around, fuel tank/T-case skid is my next thing... Will have much better (supported) protection under the T-case, and will be 2 pieces...

Trans skid will be last... It's literally like 6" up above the bottom of the frame, and I went through TECORE loaded down, with stock springs, banging and dragging constantly, and didn't touch the trans pan...

That's when I can get the front bumper market saturated enough that I can breathe... and maybe do a bumper for my truck and stuff... a year after I had planned on doing it...

Mike
bartonmd

by Flying Monkey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:56 pm

bartonmd wrote:
Flying Monkey wrote:I thought about trying to make a trans skid also. Be alot of metal but I think after briefly looking at it if I was to tack the nuts on the top of the cross member where to pairs of bolts go through under transmission/transfer case, it could be mounted there. Will definitely need to look closer at whats there to work with.

Yeah, if other vendors continue to not be around, fuel tank/T-case skid is my next thing... Will have much better (supported) protection under the T-case, and will be 2 pieces...

Trans skid will be last... It's literally like 6" up above the bottom of the frame, and I went through TECORE loaded down, with stock springs, banging and dragging constantly, and didn't touch the trans pan...

That's when I can get the front bumper market saturated enough that I can breathe... and maybe do a bumper for my truck and stuff... a year after I had planned on doing it...

Mike

LOL Im sure it has to suck sometimes putting stuff like you do out and not being able to do your own stuff.....but we are very appreciative you do.
Flying Monkey
Addict

by bartonmd » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Flying Monkey wrote:
bartonmd wrote:

Mike

LOL Im sure it has to suck sometimes putting stuff like you do out and not being able to do your own stuff.....but we are very appreciative you do.

LOL, thanks... I do a little for my TB, but it's more of just making another standard, vs. making something totally different for my truck... I just can't justify doing stuff for myself, when I've got people that have been waiting a while for their bumpers...

Thanks,
Mike
bartonmd

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Looks great for a first attempt. It may not be bomb proof,but beats the hell out of the plastic jobbers we have stock. Keep up the good work! I can totally understand you need to save a few bucks. Just when I as ready to place my deposit for skids, I broke my splined disconnect. I may be trying my hand at fabrication just so I can get protected before my next trip.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Flying Monkey » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:28 pm

Yeah thats what i was thinking, that it beats the stock plastic skid. And I was able to add where it didnt cover the front diff. I really enjoy working with my hands so it was a fun project.
Flying Monkey
Addict

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:29 pm

Nice work Chris, and you can't beat the price!!!
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by djthumper » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:37 pm

What better way to learn how to fabricate? Something you want made and a shop full of tools with some guidance from guys that have been doing it for a while. Free just makes it that much better!
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Nakashige » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:30 am

I need a Fuel tank skid :P
Nakashige
Vendor

Name: Ben Caesar
Vehicle Year: 2003