Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Tire rack?

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by mikepeters1983 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey sorry ya all for the bad drawing, I really suck at doing it on the computer, but has anyone though about a rack like this yet? Attach it to th frame, come out the side of the bumper and wrap around tot he back like a rear rock rail, and then just put a pivot point on it to have a swing style rack.
Attachments
tire carrier .jpg
I REFUSE TO TIP TOE THROUGH LIFE TO ARRIVE SAFELY AT DEATH!!!
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm

We thought about it a bit. If you can fab stuff, why keep the OEM bumper on at all? It just catches and traps mud. I kept the OEM bumper on for a short while with a HitchGate rack, then ditched the bumper and rewelded parts of the HitchGate onto the OEM inner 2" receiver structure.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by mikepeters1983 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:57 pm

The Roadie wrote:We thought about it a bit. If you can fab stuff, why keep the OEM bumper on at all? It just catches and traps mud. I kept the OEM bumper on for a short while with a HitchGate rack, then ditched the bumper and rewelded parts of the HitchGate onto the OEM inner 2" receiver structure.

You would not by happen to have any pics floating around on here would you? I have look at alot of threads, but have not found one of yours?
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

by The Roadie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Yah, I'm a slacker when it comes to moving content originally posted on the OS over here. What's in my Build Tread (link in my signature) shows the HitchGate.

Original HitchGate and HiLift mount:

One reason it sucked off-camber:

And the pics of the modified OEM structure aren't available until I get home tonight. Sorry. :happy whip:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton

by mikepeters1983 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Thats ok I am looking for the modded Factory one. I can wait. I aint got nothing but time right now, just trying to get everything in line so when I get back I can get everything done before I hear out on my road trip, and try to make things alone the was less building and more wheeling.
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

by Regulator1175 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:35 pm

If your interested in a fold down hitch style, I have a guy here local that built mine. It is pretty solid, and I have only hit it once, and that was when attempting a ~60* climb.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:54 pm

I have one Mike and I did out of a fixed mount. Cheap and funtional. But I have been kicking a around a through the cover frame mounted carrier. I just hate the look without the rear cover and it doesn't hurt my function so I figure through is easy and frame mount is strong. I have an extra cover to play with once it warms up...
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Fab Work