Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Fiberglass

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by That1Guy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:37 am

I know what you guys are thinking right now, "oh boy another fiberglass thread" but I think this is different than the other fiberglass discussions we have had here.

I am thinking about making some "pre-runner" style fiberglass fenders, the problem is, there isn't much info on the net on actual fenders. So I was hoping to maybe get some advice or maybe some links you guys may have come across. Pretty much what I am going for is a 2-3 inch bulge to take the place of the original steel fender and also give more clearance and a better look than the "flares".

From the searching I have done I gather this will be my plan of attack.

1) basically lay some spray foam over the existing fender in the shape/thickness I am shooting for
2) once smoothed oout make a skin over that which will be my mold
3) remove that skin
4) on the inside of that (keeping roughly the original mounting points and body lines) lay approximately 7 layers of fiber/resin
5) remove from mold
6) sand smooth
7) drill out the mounting holes

I know there is alot more including steps to make sure your pieces dont stick together but this is the general idea. Has anyone here dabbled with fiberglass? Got any tips? If they come out OK and the molds are also OK I would not be opposed to making more sets either if anyone is interested.
Attachments
fenders_08_02.jpg
Pretty much what im going for
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by mikepeters1983 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:17 am

If you can do this and make more you can count me in for a set. Be nice to have the extra stuff. Do you know how wide you are thinking of making them yet?
I REFUSE TO TIP TOE THROUGH LIFE TO ARRIVE SAFELY AT DEATH!!!
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV

by That1Guy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 am

mikepeters1983 wrote:If you can do this and make more you can count me in for a set. Be nice to have the extra stuff. Do you know how wide you are thinking of making them yet?

Im thinking about 3 inches. I will wait until I get my spacers though to figure that part out. I would like for it to go out just past the wheels.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

That1Guy
Addict

by mikepeters1983 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:31 am

Thats understandable, I aint got no clue yet as to how far my tires are going to stick out. I got to wait till I am least hit IN before I will know on mine for sure. But 3in is better then nothing to. You got any plans while you \are at it on trying to do something for the rear yet?
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

by SteveTB03 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:17 am

I like the idea and itd be cool to see this.

But have you thought of just cutting your fenders do a trim job so they dont hit?? :idea:
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikepeters1983 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 am

Well most likely i have all ready planed to cut the front and rear fenders so when at full stuff I wont hit and rub anything. I got the room to do it on the front and back, plus it might makes some things easier for me till I can get the new RCA's and panhand bar.
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

by Rob93 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I've always toyed with this idea, fiberglass is pretty fun to work with... I just don't know of how to do the rear with the door in the way, and i think it looks funky with oversized fender in only the front.
There's a pretty good thread with a bronco2 somewhere on google, I'll try and find it later
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 2WD

by mikepeters1983 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Rob93 wrote:i think it looks funky with oversized fender in only the front.

and thats why I drive a EXT
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

by Hpimichael02 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:58 pm

good idea, cant wait to see some progress, im gonna do it with trailer fender well tubs and weld em on :) but fiber glass is a nicer option though, must be atleast 5-7 layers thicks though
Hpimichael02
Trail-Blazer

Name: Mike mcd
Vehicle Year: 2005

by That1Guy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:55 pm

SteveTB03 wrote:I like the idea and itd be cool to see this.

But have you thought of just cutting your fenders do a trim job so they dont hit?? :idea:

I have thought about it but in California the tires are supposed to be covered and honestly I am not a fan of tthe flexible screw/stick on flares. This will be a pretty big project but I think it will be fun.

I do have an idea for the rear but I have yet to come up with something I could make functional for anything other than covering the tires. My idea is kind of like what they do with the 4 door explorers. Need to pull out the lawn chair and stair at it for a couple hours most likely and talk to someone who has done something similar.
Attachments
expo.jpg
Kind of like my idea for the rear.
(20.99 KiB) Downloaded 552 times

That1Guy
Addict

by Rob93 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:07 pm

How are you going to make the part of the door? Make an entire new door? That seems like too much for me. I guess you could make it come out with some foam and glass over it and possibly a thin layer of bondo to make it flow into the door, you would just have to repaint the entire door after
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

by That1Guy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Rob93 wrote:How are you going to make the part of the door? Make an entire new door? That seems like too much for me. I guess you could make it come out with some foam and glass over it and possibly a thin layer of bondo to make it flow into the door, you would just have to repaint the entire door after

Thats how the explorer is. The whole door is still there, they just used the expanding foam and shape how they want then make a mold off that. Like I said though, that is just an idea for the rear and I dont even know if it will be possible. Im going to start with one front and see if I can even do it.

That1Guy
Addict

by Rob93 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:21 pm

NickNorie wrote:
Rob93 wrote:How are you going to make the part of the door? Make an entire new door? That seems like too much for me. I guess you could make it come out with some foam and glass over it and possibly a thin layer of bondo to make it flow into the door, you would just have to repaint the entire door after

Thats how the explorer is. The whole door is still there, they just used the expanding foam and shape how they want then make a mold off that. Like I said though, that is just an idea for the rear and I dont even know if it will be possible. Im going to start with one front and see if I can even do it.

I was thinking more of a bolt on flare, but this thread is more about an entire fender. I might make up some templates and use the leftover glass from my boat and see what I come up with. Almost all the supplies I already have, so I might give it a try
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:07 pm

I've done fiberglass... Used to travel during the summer with my dad while he worked. Stayed next to a guy that was building an Airplane in his garage, helped him all day while my dad worked. Was one of the best summers I've had :excited:

You've got the exact idea!!.. I generally use the pink construction foam, it is more chemical resistant and easier to seal and smooth.

Like you said:

1) Spray the fender with foam, and stick on Pink construction foam.
2) Carve and shape... Use bondo to fill and finish it like it was about to be painted. (The smoother and nicer you make this the less work in the future.)
3) Apply release agent, and apply resin/fiberglass.. MAKE sure to add some ribs, and support so when you pull it off it can't break or flex.
4) Peel it off and you have a Negative of the fender skin. Most of the tabs and bolt mounts are added after the skin is made...

As you said, there is allot of stuff inbetween, but all it takes is practice and time.. Working with Fiberglass is pretty cheap, just VERY time consuming.
Last edited by OregTrailBlazin on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

A very cool idea I would like to see it myself.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

Name: Jeff

by That1Guy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:04 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:I've done fiberglass... Used to travel during the summer with my dad while he worked. Stayed next to a guy that was building an Airplane in his garage, helped him all day while my dad worked. Was one of the best summers I've had :excited:

You've got the exact idea!!.. I generally use the pink construction foam, it is more chemical resistant and easier to seal and smooth.

Like you said:

1) Spray the fender with foam, and stick on Pink construction foam.
2) Carve and shape... Use bondo to fill and finish it like it was about to be painted. (The smoother and nicer you make this the less work in the future.)
3) Apply release agent, and apply resin/fiberglass.. MAKE sure to add some ribs, and support so when you pull it off it can't break or flex.
4) Peel it off and you have a Negative of the fender skin. Most of the tabs and bolt mounts are added after the skin is made...

As you said, there is allot of stuff inbetween, but all it takes is practice and time.. Working with Fiberglass is pretty cheap, just VERY time consuming.

Thank you for the tips! And this pink construction foam, is there any different name? I cant find it. And also I plan on doing the majority of the shaping with the fender on the vehicle, how do I get the expanding foam to stick to the fender and not fall off?

That1Guy
Addict

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 pm

NickNorie wrote:Thank you for the tips! And this pink construction foam, is there any different name? I cant find it. And also I plan on doing the majority of the shaping with the fender on the vehicle, how do I get the expanding foam to stick to the fender and not fall off?

Hmmm... took me awhile to find that one. Foam board insulation. The foam is actually called -Extruded Polystyrene Foam- comes in Pink and Blue. They will have it at your local Home Depot.

I would shape it on the truck too, the spray expanding foam should have no problem sticking to it, but you will probably not get it off. You could just hot glue the Polystyrene Foam to the truck that way you can peel it when your done.

Everything I've built has been completely from scratch, we usually glue and pin the foam together then cut and shape to the desired design... Doing it off the truck would be completely new to me.. I would love to give it a shot though, it would be sweet to have a full piece fiberglass front-end.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

by That1Guy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:
NickNorie wrote:Thank you for the tips! And this pink construction foam, is there any different name? I cant find it. And also I plan on doing the majority of the shaping with the fender on the vehicle, how do I get the expanding foam to stick to the fender and not fall off?

Hmmm... took me awhile to find that one. Foam board insulation. The foam is actually called -Extruded Polystyrene Foam- comes in Pink and Blue. They will have it at your local Home Depot.

I would shape it on the truck too, the spray expanding foam should have no problem sticking to it, but you will probably not get it off. You could just hot glue the Polystyrene Foam to the truck that way you can peel it when your done.

Everything I've built has been completely from scratch, we usually glue and pin the foam together then cut and shape to the desired design... Doing it off the truck would be completely new to me.. I would love to give it a shot though, it would be sweet to have a full piece fiberglass front-end.

Hmm. I think I will just lay a couple layers of foil down and go to town over that.

Heres my inspiration thread.
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/fab-shop/119816.htm

That1Guy
Addict

by OregTrailBlazin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:55 pm

NickNorie wrote:Hmm. I think I will just lay a couple layers of foil down and go to town over that.

Awesome thread!!.. Great inspiration, almost make me want to give it a shot!!

With how easy it is to pull our fenders off, I would probably do that, so you can get it matched right down to the hood and door without sanding too much of the original paint.
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

by That1Guy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 pm

OregTrailBlazin wrote:
NickNorie wrote:Hmm. I think I will just lay a couple layers of foil down and go to town over that.

Awesome thread!!.. Great inspiration, almost make me want to give it a shot!!

With how easy it is to pull our fenders off, I would probably do that, so you can get it matched right down to the hood and door without sanding too much of the original paint.

Another good thread right here.

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/fab-shop/74366.htm

So your thinking I should do it this way?

That1Guy
Addict

Next

Return to Fab Work