Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear bumper discussion

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by Bigbadbowtie088 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:16 pm

I admit, I didn't do my homework! The search feature does ring a bell now that you mention it. I may hold off on a custom bumper for right now.. waiting a bit longer cant hurt.. I've made it this far. For the record, no the TB hasn't seen any deep water since the "scuba steve" inccident.
Bigbadbowtie088
RIP

Name: Brandon Walker
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Trail X » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Haha... sounds like the standard response when real money enters the equation. We can speculate and send emails to suppliers asking for product... they produce something in your price point... and oh, nevermind. And we wonder why fender flare companies don't bend over backwards because they get 7 hits on facebook asking for TB flares?

Sorry... I'm a bit worn out and sour right now.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:24 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Haha... sounds like the standard response when real money enters the equation. We can speculate and send emails to suppliers asking for product... they produce something in your price point... and oh, nevermind. And we wonder why fender flare companies don't bend over backwards because they get 7 hits on facebook asking for TB flares?

LOL! Don't even get me started on that! There's a reason I require deposits before I order ANYTHING!

- "dood, I want ______ BAD! I wish somebody would make it! Why won't anybody make stuff for us?!?!"
= "Here's your product"
- "Sweet! It's on my list of things that I want to someday get, if I win the lottery! I just want products to be made so they can be on my list of things that I'd like to do to my _____ to make it more bad ass..."

8 rad skids and 6 bumpers... but EVERYBODY wants them! (just not now that they're actually available)

If I was a "real" supplier, the rad skids would be close to double what they are, and the bumpers would actually be double, and I'd still be on the cheaper end of the spectrum!

This is not this group in particular, either... It's pretty much most of the people on the Internet... Back when HID kits were $500, our bike forum hooked up with the south-Asian rep, and was getting them for $180 shipped... EVERYBODY on the W-body forum HAD TO HAVE them for that cheap (maybe, literally 30 people said they were "in"), so I contacted the same guy again, and did all the orchastrating involved in setting up a GB for HID kits on the W-body forum... Oh yeah... 2... Literally 2 people ponied up for them... The GB was open for 2 months, too, so it's not like nobody had money that week...

That's just the way business is in the Internet age... Companies these days take the number of requests they get for a product and divide by 5 or 10, and that's how many they hope to sell...

For the record, I'm not mad at anybody, here, at all! Money is tight right now, and everybody's got something else going on... Wife being out of work for almost 2 years, believe-you-me, I know!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by janesy86 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Yeah, Mike about that bumper I paid you for.... I need that $$ back.

Hehe, just kiddin'! Can't wait til TECORE so I can throw it on!! But ya I hear ya completely, seems like whenever there is a group buy for almost anything, everyone wants 'it' but in the end no one coughs up the cash.

I really need/want a solution for a rear bumper/ swinging tire carrier, just wish I had the tools or workspace to come up with something on my own. Could have a friend with the tools/space help out but that would take a long ass time to complete something worthwhile.

So I'm hoping MDB Fabrication will come out with something down the line!! AND you know I'll pony up for it! :thumleft: Already can't thank you enough for the armor you have supplied for my rig!
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes

by OregTrailBlazin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:03 pm

bartonmd wrote:
JamesDowning wrote:Haha... sounds like the standard response when real money enters the equation. We can speculate and send emails to suppliers asking for product... they produce something in your price point... and oh, nevermind. And we wonder why fender flare companies don't bend over backwards because they get 7 hits on facebook asking for TB flares?

LOL! Don't even get me started on that! There's a reason I require deposits before I order ANYTHING!

- "dood, I want ______ BAD! I wish somebody would make it! Why won't anybody make stuff for us?!?!"
= "Here's your product"
- "Sweet! It's on my list of things that I want to someday get, if I win the lottery! I just want products to be made so they can be on my list of things that I'd like to do to my _____ to make it more bad ass..."

8 rad skids and 6 bumpers... but EVERYBODY wants them! (just not now that they're actually available)

If I was a "real" supplier, the rad skids would be close to double what they are, and the bumpers would actually be double, and I'd still be on the cheaper end of the spectrum!

This is not this group in particular, either... It's pretty much most of the people on the Internet... Back when HID kits were $500, our bike forum hooked up with the south-Asian rep, and was getting them for $180 shipped... EVERYBODY on the W-body forum HAD TO HAVE them for that cheap (maybe, literally 30 people said they were "in"), so I contacted the same guy again, and did all the orchastrating involved in setting up a GB for HID kits on the W-body forum... Oh yeah... 2... Literally 2 people ponied up for them... The GB was open for 2 months, too, so it's not like nobody had money that week...

That's just the way business is in the Internet age... Companies these days take the number of requests they get for a product and divide by 5 or 10, and that's how many they hope to sell...

For the record, I'm not mad at anybody, here, at all! Money is tight right now, and everybody's got something else going on... Wife being out of work for almost 2 years, believe-you-me, I know!

Mike

I've been in the other end of those group buys too!! I've set them up for different forums. Contact my supplier, actually get them to drop the price to make it that much cheaper, and start a production run, then over 75% of the people couldn't come up with any money, or just never replied like they didn't even order.. Very annoying!!

THANK you for what you do. These guys probably don't have a clue how lucky they are to have someone do what your doing!! I've seen allot of forums, but not many with someone willing to go the distance, just to be sincerely nice!
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 pm

bartonmd wrote:

= "Here's your product"

Mike

FWIW... I was actually going to jump in on the GB for some real under armor (not my ghetto fabulous fab job).

Then I broke my truck. :wallbash:
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:19 pm

I just keep thinking all I did was ask Mike if he could get steel for a bumper and..........wow look at whats happened. I am glad i could be part of it all.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by MrSmithsTB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:54 pm

:Iagree: It's a great thing. Quite the shame I didn't get in on the GB, but I had to look at the big picture and make sure I could buy it once and get exactly what I need. When I decided to do the body lift, I knew I'd have to push it back. But I also know that I'll get to work with a great fabricator to design a one of a kind bumper that will fit properly.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:50 pm

Thanks guys!

Like I say, I'm not mad at anybody or anything, and I know how the money thing goes...

Thanks again,
Mike

ETA: And I'm glad Kyle wanted to do a bumper, too! (and wanted a rad skid, and got me back interested in doing them, after I did the prototype and then it just sat, when I got burnt out trying to make one, and have it do everything everybody wanted)
bartonmd

by mikepeters1983 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 am

while looking on Amazon I found this rear bumper. Has anyone seen this or heard of this before? if s\not will it work

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-21105-Fey- ... &sr=1-3216

I REFUSE TO TIP TOE THROUGH LIFE TO ARRIVE SAFELY AT DEATH!!!
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by tbangert » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:35 pm

mikepeters1983 wrote:while looking on Amazon I found this rear bumper. Has anyone seen this or heard of this before? if s\not will it work

http://www.amazon.com/Westin-21105-Fey- ... &sr=1-3216

Well other than the fact its not made for our platform, no it wont work. But from years of modding things, with enough money anything will fit. Try reading descriptions or do some leg work on your own rather than posting a link and saying "will this work!?" Most people on this forum have done, research, measure, test, revise and so on, not post a link...
MarcMC - Bilstien - BDS - WheelAdapters - Treadwright - K&N - Gibson - Hayden - Zone
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:48 pm

I'm sure with a welder and some extra metal you could make it work. But why would you want to? It looks structurally weaker than our current bumper and it doesn't flow with the lines at all.. :scratch:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Diacom » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Well, I'm in no hurry for a rear bumper as of yet so take your time to get it right. Probably 2 years out before I'm ready for that piece.

I still have to re-gear, want to get rock sliders and a spare tire carrier for next year. Though I am willing to put off the spare tire carrier if the rear bumper has come along by then in development.

Course I'll see what the inital looks like and ask more questions as they come up.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003

by mikepeters1983 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 pm

when I was looking last night I put in my truck info on it 2002 Trailblazer and it said that it would fit, that is the only reason why I thought to ask. I know how to do research and find things, please don't assume that I am some kind of newbie thanks
I REFUSE TO TIP TOE THROUGH LIFE TO ARRIVE SAFELY AT DEATH!!!
mikepeters1983
Trail-Blazer

Vehicle: GMC Envoy XUV
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

Previous

Return to Fab Work