Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear bumper discussion

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:30 pm

From irishboy...
"Even once i do the body lift i am going to try to see what i can do to keep the rear tow hitch as unmodified as possible. I dont want to loose that strength as a recovery point but also because i do tow and dont want that risk of something failing"

My hitch is probably stronger than factory now. It is bolted more and I think better than factory. I have been pulled on mine and it is fine with the body lift. I tow and use it for recovery without hesitation. No need to worry.

I think you keep the rear hitch and build off the frame. It will be far easier with a body lift, but may be do-able without.

I have ran a little bit of my idea past mike and i think it should work. Got to do some research, but it will be simple and functional like the rest of his products. Hopefully he will want to give it a whirl this winter.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by irishboy02 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 pm

I have complete faith and trust in Mike, he puts out a great product no doubt about it. Im just playing devils advocate with it. I would LOVE a rear bumper as well, just trying to see what we can work with. 2 recovery shackles would be sweet too (one on each side, even with the frame lines similar to the front setup)
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 pm

I think it's going to be much more difficult than you'd expect to keep the stock bumper. The problem is in the mounting... there's no good places to mount to unless you take off the stock hitch. You won't have any strength in the bumper unless you frame mount it.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:45 pm

I dont want to completely replace the rear bumper. Maybe reuse part of the cover, but looking for a better spare tire mount. I dont think i can use a hitch mounted one. I keep ripping the rubber covers off the rear brushguard and dragging it and the hitch even though mine is mounted tighter and higher than yours is. I think or cutting the rear bumper and going through it to the frame for mounting. I see minimal reason to add 2 shackles if you have a hitch you shouldnt need any other point unless you want to build in hilift hooking points.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by irishboy02 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Right, but if we could get a rear bumper, with swing out tire carrier built in, with built in shackles or two and the availability of a receiver, we would be best of all worlds and have the ability to throw a receiver mounted winch in there for recovery too.

Just food for thought
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan

by teebes » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:53 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I dont want to completely replace the rear bumper. Maybe reuse part of the cover, but looking for a better spare tire mount. I dont think i can use a hitch mounted one. I keep ripping the rubber covers off the rear brushguard and dragging it and the hitch even though mine is mounted tighter and higher than yours is. I think or cutting the rear bumper and going through it to the frame for mounting. I see minimal reason to add 2 shackles if you have a hitch you shouldnt need any other point unless you want to build in hilift hooking points.

I hear yea. I've been modifying my stock metal bumper as of late to suit my needs. For example, I custom built a folding tier carrier directly to the top of my factory receiver. Keeps it nice and close to the body. Also, since I never put the body lift bumper adapters on, I finally ended up mounting my pull-pall directly to the top.

It may not be pretty, but it sure is useful. Now, need to come up with some recovery points :happy whip:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:55 pm

teebes wrote:I hear year. I've been modifying my stock metal bumper as of late to suit my needs. For example, I custom built a folding tier carrier directly to the top of my factory receiver. Keeps it nice and close to the body. Also, since I never put the body lift bumper adapters on, I finally ended up mounting my pull-pall directly to the top.

It may not be pretty, but it sure is useful. Now, not come up with some recovery points :happy whip:

:need pics:
Trail X
Founder

by Philberto » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:58 pm

JamesDowning wrote:
teebes wrote:I hear year. I've been modifying my stock metal bumper as of late to suit my needs. For example, I custom built a folding tier carrier directly to the top of my factory receiver. Keeps it nice and close to the body. Also, since I never put the body lift bumper adapters on, I finally ended up mounting my pull-pall directly to the top.

It may not be pretty, but it sure is useful. Now, not come up with some recovery points :happy whip:

:need pics:

:Iagree:
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by teebes » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:10 pm

I know, I know... :finger: :finger: Let me see if I can get some photos online.

Oh, and new rim came to try out... But that deservers another thread...
teebes
Founder

by teebes » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 pm

lots o little mods
Attachments
DSC00173.JPG
DSC00170.JPG
DSC00168.JPG
DSC00167.JPG
teebes
Founder

by janesy86 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:18 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I dont want to completely replace the rear bumper. Maybe reuse part of the cover, but looking for a better spare tire mount. I dont think i can use a hitch mounted one. I keep ripping the rubber covers off the rear brushguard and dragging it and the hitch even though mine is mounted tighter and higher than yours is. I think or cutting the rear bumper and going through it to the frame for mounting. I see minimal reason to add 2 shackles if you have a hitch you shouldnt need any other point unless you want to build in hilift hooking points.

I have been thinkin somethin along the lines of the Xterra Shrockworks bumper... and keep the sides of the cover and make the middle out of steel and incorporate a swinging tire carrier.

0xterra.jpg
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Cool idea Greg. Looks quite functional and the pulpal mount makes sense too since you have space between your tailgate and the bumper.
Trail X
Founder

by teebes » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:31 pm

janesy86 wrote:

I have been thinkin somethin along the lines of the Xterra Shrockworks bumper... and keep the sides of the cover and make the middle out of steel and incorporate a swinging tire carrier.

0xterra.jpg

Roadie's setup looked a bit like that, sans the corner covers.
teebes
Founder

by Bigbadbowtie088 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:06 pm

Has anyone contacted Kenesaw Mountain to see if there is anything they could do rear bumper wise? My bumper is cracked, and has been rattle canned countless times. After offroading with another member who didn't have the experience in offroading.. I ended up with a even more cracked bumper, broken tail light, and to top it off the complete drivers side mirror assembly. Simply because he gave me a tug, where I could get traction, which then I hit the brakes.. signaling to stop.. and he gave another tug which did the above mentioned damage after catching a tree. Come to find out the trail that we were on was a horse trail, which the signs clearly said resivoir rd, and road open. There wern't any horse trail or no vehicles past this point signs. Other than that it was a great trip. I even said to Cody, the other member that was with me.. "I wish roadie were here right now." "then again I'd wind up winning dumb@$$ of the year from him". What I need to get is a custom front bumper that I can mount a winch on.. I would have been set from the get go. Parts are on order.. $330 delivered. better than buying from the stealership.
Bigbadbowtie088
RIP

Name: Brandon Walker
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Gordinho80 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Teebes, I can't believe I missed your post. That carrier welded directly to the receiver is genius!!! I might just be selling my carrier to fab up something like that in the near future..... If you don't mind me stealing the idea...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by fishsticks » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:Teebes, I can't believe I missed your post. That carrier welded directly to the receiver is genius!!! I might just be selling my carrier to fab up something like that in the near future..... If you don't mind me stealing the idea...

:Iagree: I saw that and was immediately thinking "I bet I can cut mine off my extension and do that!"
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by Gordinho80 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I can't use the one I have now, the tire is currently too close to the rear tailgate... So... might be selling my carrier. Lol!!!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida

by teebes » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:45 am

Gordinho80 wrote:Teebes, I can't believe I missed your post. That carrier welded directly to the receiver is genius!!! I might just be selling my carrier to fab up something like that in the near future..... If you don't mind me stealing the idea...

Thx... And feel free. It was super, super cheap to make and turned out pretty decent for my first real welding project.
teebes
Founder

by bartonmd » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Bigbadbowtie088 wrote:What I need to get is a custom front bumper that I can mount a winch on.. I would have been set from the get go.

I think somebody missed the vendor section, and/or doesn't use the "active topics" button to search threads...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:32 pm

Bigbadbowtie088 wrote:Has anyone contacted Kenesaw Mountain to see if there is anything they could do rear bumper wise? My bumper is cracked, and has been rattle canned countless times. After offroading with another member who didn't have the experience in offroading.. I ended up with a even more cracked bumper, broken tail light, and to top it off the complete drivers side mirror assembly. Simply because he gave me a tug, where I could get traction, which then I hit the brakes.. signaling to stop.. and he gave another tug which did the above mentioned damage after catching a tree. Come to find out the trail that we were on was a horse trail, which the signs clearly said resivoir rd, and road open. There wern't any horse trail or no vehicles past this point signs. Other than that it was a great trip. I even said to Cody, the other member that was with me.. "I wish roadie were here right now." "then again I'd wind up winning dumb@$$ of the year from him". What I need to get is a custom front bumper that I can mount a winch on.. I would have been set from the get go. Parts are on order.. $330 delivered. better than buying from the stealership.

Know one has seen a Kenesaw Mtn bumper that fit our truck properly when they made it. James spent a pretty penny fixing their junk and a great bumper, but his is almost full custom.

Barton is in testing and semi-production of a couple sweet bumpers and we have talked couple times about a winch bumper, but until I buy one or someone requests one, there is no use in wasting time with it. If you wanrt something good and fairly priced...Mike is the MF'ing man ya'll.
HARDTRAILZ

Next

Return to Fab Work