Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front Tube Fenders

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by teebes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:15 pm

Anyone have pics of our vehicle without the front fender? I'm tired of simply trimming and might add in some tubing ala Image.

At first glance, with our fenders they stretch up the a pillar and are connected by atleast a couple bolts right where I'm looking to trim. Thinking those locations would be ideal to have the tube meet the body, just need to integrate the sheet metal then.

Anyone have pics of tube fenders on other vehicles besides jeeps, by any chance?
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 pm

No pics of Tube Fenders... but here is a TB without the fenders...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1121
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 pm

I have been thinking of cutting at the flare line and adding a tube along the edge, but have not done a ton of research since I wont need to until i run 35s and that may be post sas. Where all have you cut and where do hit? i only hit the firewall.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by teebes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:39 pm

My tires are about dead and 35's are in my future. New wheels, too. My fenders are really bent out of shape. The lower mount near the front of my driver door is about done. Figure I might as well act now before I rip the thing off.

I might trim back the leading edge of my sliders, maybe i should tie into them :?: Here's another pic:

teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:44 pm

I like that, but I think tying into the slider would be best and not a totally flat fender..well flat to front but curved down to slider with some sheet metal filler.

Do you think steering and shafts will hold 35s/ That is the only thing holding me back from 35s. I hate to spend the money if they just break parts.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by teebes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:00 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Do you think steering and shafts will hold 35s/ That is the only thing holding me back from 35s. I hate to spend the money if they just break parts.

I hear yea.. If these new aluminum rims work out (fit), the rotating weight should be around the same as my current 33's w/ steel rims if not that much more. Less backspacing on this setup will be less outward stress, too. Of course, will still need to be some what gentle w/ torque and trying to power my way through obstacles. Unfortunately my gearing is staying the same right now, so in a way that's kinda good on that perspective.

More upgrades will be down the road, but I need tread for the upcoming desert season - priority 1 :cheers:
teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 am

What size rims? I am real close to some 15x8 and 35 1250s. I can get new alum rims that are light and tires are tires, but just cant quite pull the trigger. I dont mind cutting front fenders either, and think tube and a bit factory sheet metal will do well. What about rear? The 35s i know of both trucks rub in the rear on the front of the wheel well.
HARDTRAILZ

by teebes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:What size rims? I am real close to some 15x8 and 35 1250s. I can get new alum rims that are light and tires are tires, but just cant quite pull the trigger. I dont mind cutting front fenders either, and think tube and a bit factory sheet metal will do well. What about rear? The 35s i know of both trucks rub in the rear on the front of the wheel well.

15x9 rim size, 3.5 backspacing (fingers crossed). It will still be a while before the rim is delivered and I can even do a test fit; regardless I might as well get started on the fenders :)

I hear yea on the rear's... I've been watching the rear CA thread and am anxious for some forged/adjustable JJ's on one side :) I'm still running without any sway bars, so I'll also need to make sure all the cables are located so that they aren't the limiting factor.
teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:35 am

3.75 backspacing fit with only 1.3 inch spacers, so 3.5 should be fine. I am sure 35's are able fit, just worry about them discovering weak links...but there only is one way to find out.

I was thinking of tj or yj flares as a pattern to cut. Looks decent fit wise..i wonder if tube fenders for one of them could be adapted???

I just emailled a guy about some yj flares to see how they might line up for real.
HARDTRAILZ

by teebes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Sweet!

Here's a couple pics from an XJ over on Pirate:

A little more rounded and a bit further down behind the wheel.
teebes
Founder

by teebes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:03 pm

These are more the style I'm thinking about, but at the cost, home project :)

source: http://www.metalcloak.com/6-Overline-Fl ... p/2262.htm

teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:12 pm

The xj is what i was thinking, but not flared out as far, just maybe and inch then the tube. I would want it more rounded to blend on our body. I like the metalcloak fenders, but they are not exactly cheap for needing modded to fit.

Are you going to totally remove your fender or cut and add to them or still just looking?
HARDTRAILZ

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Another thing...how much have you already cut out? Did you cut all the way around or just the back section by door?
HARDTRAILZ

by teebes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:14 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:The xj is what i was thinking, but not flared out as far, just maybe and inch then the tube. I would want it more rounded to blend on our body. I like the metalcloak fenders, but they are not exactly cheap for needing modded to fit.

Are you going to totally remove your fender or cut and add to them or still just looking?

The metal cloak design is pretty much what is in the back of my brain. Just a slight pop-out to help cover some mud flinging while also raising the fender distance all the way around the tire. No way I'm spending that much though, I'll bend my own pipe and pick up some 10/12 gauge metal for the top portion. The tricky part will be joining the current fender to the new design. I may need to relocate the bottom bracket for the existing fender as that is already pretty loose.

I'll have to snap some pics of my current fenders. Trimming was mostly done around the back edges, correct.
teebes
Founder

by MrSmithsTB » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 pm

:hijack: Welcome back, Teebes. That was a long-ass nap 8-)

I like the idea, and I see no need for off the shelf products. The money could be saved by investing in the custom bent tubes. Integrating new front and rear fender mounts into the tubes is what I would perceive as the best solution for that. Everything else seems really cut and dry.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by glfredrick » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:17 pm

We've got a tubing bender... :poke:
http://www.UCORA.org == The United Christian Off-Road Alliance, a family friendly place
2003 Trailblazer = got groceries?
1995 Dodge RAM 2500 w/Cummins = got tow rig?
1986-90 Ford Ranger truggy = got rock?
glfredrick
Contributing Author

Name: Guy
Vehicle Year: 2003

by teebes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:33 pm

glfredrick wrote:We've got a tubing bender... :poke:

And you guys know how to use it, too :) Let us know if you come up with some designs or prototypes. I hope to play around with some stuff this weekend but am not going to be able to mass produce anything.
teebes
Founder

by teebes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:50 am

Just in case you rub against a hill:

teebes
Founder

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:14 am

I have been talking and thinking of that style tube all the way around for a year or better. Seems I need to get down to Louisville and meet up with Guy. I have a bumper that is staying so it is possible to fab tubes/fenders from sliders to bumper now.
HARDTRAILZ

by glfredrick » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:30 am

Have to schedule some shop time... But we're low key. Just a couple of guys out workin' in the garage. :coffee2:
http://www.UCORA.org == The United Christian Off-Road Alliance, a family friendly place
2003 Trailblazer = got groceries?
1995 Dodge RAM 2500 w/Cummins = got tow rig?
1986-90 Ford Ranger truggy = got rock?
glfredrick
Contributing Author

Name: Guy
Vehicle Year: 2003

Next

Return to Fab Work