Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

ebay roof rack?

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by johnburgelin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:46 am

I know I saw something along these lines that some members had bought instead of the baja rack.
There are two models
this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390214254808&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Which I think is the cooler looking of the two, but doesn't seem wide enough, 30.25" if I want to stick a spare up there

and this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290436484516&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Which I'm sure is plenty usable it's just not as awesome looking as the other one.

Now you can buy extensions for either one up to 24" which I'm certain can be easily cut down. And they are both fairly inexpensive. i would have no problem buying the ebay roof rack ego-wise. I just want to make sure that they are capable and not horribly made. If anyone has any insight or advice one way or the other, please share :)

I will probably be going with the second one due to the larger dimensions. My number one factor in this is the low cost of the rack/basket.
I'm going with the larger dimensions so I can stick a spare up there, even though i'm hopefully going to end up with a hitch or bumper swingout mounted spare eventually.
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:39 pm

I have the older version of your second option. I ditched the standard (lame) mounting brackets and welded 3/4" steel square tube onto the basket, then mounted those to my roof rails. I've piled it full of 200+lbs of power tools/building materials and it didn't budge. I wouldn't wheel with that kind of weight up there though.

If I didn't have my tire carrier, I wouldn't think twice about throwing my spare/hilift up there.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by johnburgelin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:00 pm

ok good, and I saw your build thread on that I believe fishsticks, thank you. The new version of the second one is just like 2 inches taller I think. But it's wide enough to throw a full size 31"+ sized spare up there until I get my tire carrier situation figured out, after i get my tires, and lift, and rack, and G80 installed, and..................I love working on my truck :)
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Fab Work