Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Going Green...

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by teebes » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:09 pm

Had to swing by Harbor Freight today for some tidbits and ended up pulling the trigger on one of their cheap solar kits. I've been reviewing various panel setups along with the powerfilm brand, but nothing at a decent price has been on CL or flebay lately.

I wasn't planning on picking this up today, but they were on sale and I was able to get another 20% off at the door - about $130 for 3 15w panels, controller, couple of dc

Linky

So, with the new goodies, and since they fit within the confines of our factory roof rack rails, I'm thinking of making a removable frame so I can keep them on my truck the majority of the time.

While on the truck...
  • Create a simple frame to sandwich the three panels ( along with some rubber isolators to reduce some vibration)
  • Hinge/open at one end, locks on the other
  • Add a manual tilt feature to hopefully receive more direct light, when in standby mode, aka not driving
  • Simple battery controller would be installed in the truck. I'm actually thinking of going to the primary battery, due to a few features of my dual battery setup

While in camping mode, dismounted and connected directly to the trailer
  • Frame should easily detach from the factory roof rack, similar to hi-lift mounts.
  • Frame should easily leverage the included 'angle', stationary mount the kit came with
  • Quick disconnect, weatherproof power-leads & outlets on the trailer
  • Large battery controller (included in kit) would be installed in the trailer nosebox

What am I missing? :camping:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by djthumper » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:54 am

Don't use the controller that comes with it to charge any batteries. It will toast your batteries, it is posted over and over on a yahoo group by people that have had it happen.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:52 am

I worry a little about the photovoltaic cells being able to handle the wind buffeting when at speed. You may want to make sure there's a wind deflector or something in front of the cells.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by teebes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:28 pm

djthumper wrote:Don't use the controller that comes with it to charge any batteries. It will toast your batteries, it is posted over and over on a yahoo group by people that have had it happen.

Interesting, thanks for that. I'll have to seach around, unless you have some handy links?
JamesDowning wrote:I worry a little about the photovoltaic cells being able to handle the wind buffeting when at speed. You may want to make sure there's a wind deflector or something in front of the cells.

The panels themselves are pretty stout, surprisingly (and about an inch thick). I hear you though...
teebes
Founder

by djthumper » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:19 pm

teebes wrote:Interesting, thanks for that. I'll have to seach around, unless you have some handy links?

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6825
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/12VDC_Power/messages Do a search for harbor freight and HF
http://solarpanelkitatharborfreight.ning.com/
I have a couple of these for my charge controllers http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-7-Amp-Charge-Controller/dp/B0006JO0XI/ref=pd_sim_dbs_auto_3
I have thought about trying this controller to better protect the batteries from too much discharge. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-amp-solar-charge-regulator-96728.html
djthumper

by teebes » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks!

Yes, the 7am controller is what I plan to use within my truck. Was planning to use the one from the kit within the trailer.

Most of the posts seem to be rather old (2007). I found some yahoo group posts from way back when discussing how many of the controllers soldered connections on the faceplate where touching; sometimes even touching the case, or ground.

I pulled apart the kit controller yesterday and the connectors are now shrink wrapped over their soldered connections - cool! I ran a couple tests today while hooked up to a motorcycle battery. The LED indicator is spot on when compared to my volt meter while under load and unloaded.

So far, I'm lucking out :cheers: Thanks for this links, btw!
teebes
Founder

by djthumper » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:14 pm

No Problem.

I think most of the postings in that group may come under HF instead of harbor freight. There was a guy a few weeks ago that had fried 2 different batteries in 6 months.

Right now I am re-doing one of my repeater configurations to take it up to our high adventure camp. I will take some pics of it when I am done. One of the things I have to do is adding some conduit so the cattle and sheep don't shew up the cables and wiring.
djthumper

Return to Fab Work