Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

WA State TB seeks companionship.

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by fishsticks » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:49 pm

...Likes long rides on the trail and getting caught in the mud... :work:

Seriously though. I've skulked around trailvoy and lurked here for awhile. Figured it's time to run around in my skivvies screaming. :excited:

I'm already lifted, among other things. Build thread incoming and ready for any and all hazing.

Also looking for Pacific NW people who want to wheel. I'm no offroad guru, but I'm down for wheelin just about every weekend if there's something going on.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:21 am

Welcome! Nice of you to join us by the campfire! I'm looking forward to seeing your build thread!

-Phil :camping:
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:49 am

If you stick around trailvoy too long, you'll run around screaming like me. :work: :wallbash: :friday: This is the (relatively) noob-free zone, where we encourage a little more thoughtful discourse, a dose of safety with the offroading yahooiness, and some amount of care before getting out the BFH and whacking the bejeezus out of parts that stick out too far.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:16 am

The Roadie wrote:If you stick around trailvoy too long, you'll run around screaming like me. :work: :wallbash: :friday: This is the (relatively) noob-free zone, where we encourage a little more thoughtful discourse, a dose of safety with the offroading yahooiness, and some amount of care before getting out the BFH and whacking the bejeezus out of parts that stick out too far.

Is it bad that the first thing I did after registering is read the entire Lounge thread on the OS? I was worried I might have shown up there. Fortunately the stupidity there is much greater than anything I can muster.
fishsticks

by Trail X » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:49 am

Welcome... We have a couple Pacific NW members here, but not a ton. I figure they'll eventually post up.

Have you done any wheeling on your own yet?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Saxis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:35 am

Welcome! How far West are you talking? I'm pretty much on the beach...

I'm just getting the last of my lift planned now that I have funds available, and should be on order in the next week or so. I've been gathering some info on trails and whatnot and was thinking about making a trip or two this summer. Couple places I've been looking at are Tillamook State Park in Oregon with quite a few different trails of varying difficulties, and Tahuya Loop up by Belfair, WA.
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse
Vehicle Year: 2007

by bgwolfpack » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:46 pm

:thumright: Welcome :thumleft: fishsticks

So where are you located? I see you say WA state but where? :wallbash:

Saxis is on the beach, up north like he said. I'm pretty much a suburb of Portland just north of Vancouver.

Are you close to either of us? :drive:

There are a couple others (members) we'll see if they catch this thread. :coffee2:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by fishsticks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:18 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Welcome... We have a couple Pacific NW members here, but not a ton. I figure they'll eventually post up.

Have you done any wheeling on your own yet?

The short answer: Yes, but not much at all in the TB. 95% of my experience is in the Larch Mtn/Yacolt Burn area in Clark/Skamania counties.

I'm a car guy. After I put my lift on one of my friends actually said "I've known Racecar Donny for years, where the hell did Offroad Donny come from?"

My first offroad rig was a 71 K5 Blazer with a 4" lift, 33x12.5's and a 383ci motor that really should have gone into a car. I never did anything incredibly stupid in it... but I WAS in my early 20's. Would have rolled that thing down a steep embankment (and died, it's a long ways down) if not for a conveniently placed tree. I still visit that tree whenever I'm in the area to remind myself how easy it is to lose control.

Right now my biggest "problem" is all of my friends are either stock with road tires, still have a truck payment, or both. They're all a little skittish about actually getting off the logging roads and getting into something fun. I have neither of these problems, so I'd like to be a little more adventurous. A winch/bumper aren't in my budget at the moment so if I'm going to chart new territory I'd like to do it with a buddy. I'm also buying/rebuying (sold my HiLift with the K5) things I know I'll need and looking around for things I didn't know I'd need.

BG: I'm in the 'couve. Dead center of it in fact...just off of SR500.

Saxis: I don't know where that town is, but if you don't mind driving out this way, I have air tools and space to get your lift in. People on the OS make installing these lifts out to be much harder than they actually are.
fishsticks

by Philberto » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Fishsticks, you may want to update your location in your profile for other members to refer to in the future. Depending on how this next year goes, I may be joining you Pacific NW guys in the relatively near future, planning on moving to Salem when I get the chance and the funds. Tell your friends that they can be lifted and running offroad tires for around $800 if they want to... it's very achievable.
Last edited by Philberto on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rounded down instead of up on price
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by fishsticks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:38 pm

Philberto wrote:Fishsticks, you may want to update your location in your profile for other members to refer to in the future. Depending on how this next year goes, I may be joining you Pacific NW guys in the relatively near future, planning on moving to Salem when I get the chance and the funds. Tell your friends that they can be lifted and running offroad tires for around $800 if they want to... it's very achievable.

Updated.

I went to elementary/Jr high school in Salem.

My lift/springs/shocks cost me ~$450. Wheels+tires ~$1500 but I wanted what I wanted there. None of them are Trailvoys and most of them just aren't car/truck guys period. I'm alone out here. :|
fishsticks

by Saxis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Vancouver really isn't all that far away. About 2.5 hours drive. Technically, Ocosta is part of Aberdeen, but I'm on the south side of Grays Harbor. I can see the water from my house actually.

One of the areas I've been curious about (Tillamook State Forest) is actually only about 36 miles from Portland. I'm in the same boat as you: Once I get my lift on, I still won't have the recovery gear needed to run solo. Actually, no front towing on my Envoy is a concern either way, and being a 2008 Denali, I still like my front bumper cover too much to remove it... :slap:
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

by fishsticks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm debating on my bumper cover. Last Sunday I came down a burm and was sure I wasn't going to level out without taking part of my bumper cover off.

In addition to recovery equipment, my lack of under armor concerns the heck out of me. My plastic skid is a joke, and one good sized hole in the radiator and no amount of recovery gear is getting you out without another vehicle.
fishsticks

by Trail X » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:25 pm

Luckily one of our vendors has an oil pan skid, and is working on the radiator issue. :excited:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Saxis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:34 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Luckily one of our vendors has an oil pan skid, and is working on the radiator issue. :excited:

Two things on my list, probably before tires even. Any idea if there are differences between the I6 and V8 radiator "issue"?? Might be a question for the vendor...
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

by Saxis » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Here's some info on the Tillamook State Forest trails, in case you're interested. You can download the info and map on PDF, also. :coffee2:
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

by fishsticks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:14 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Luckily one of our vendors has an oil pan skid, and is working on the radiator issue. :excited:

I've been watching closely...

Saxis wrote:Here's some info on the Tillamook State Forest trails, in case you're interested. You can download the info and map on PDF, also. :coffee2:

As your schedule comes together let me know when you'd like to go. There are a couple advantages to being self-employed (not many) one of which is setting your own vacation time. :drive: It'd be a first for me out there as well...
fishsticks

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:37 pm

I will say you have a nice clean setup going. Well Done Sir. I understand how sometimes those trees are worth far more than others would ever believe. You ever wonder how it grew right there...just where you needed it????
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"