Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New from South Fl

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by Trekk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello everyone! I'm here, I don't own a TB and I have questions! :viking: this is going to be sort of long :)

Here is the deal. I live way down in Homestead, Fl. I've always been in to sports cars and what not, but I think those days are nearing the end and I'm looking for something new. With the house boom a few years back this place really got built up, people are all over, traffic is always common now, not sport car friendly.

I started over the past few weeks looking into trucks and SUV's stuff on the bigger side. I would like to be able to tow things, maybe a small boat and a Miata to the track every now and then. So I first started looking at like F350's and V8's V10's thinking I need that power. I know I wanted something lifted some, but not so big that parking it would become a problem. For that reason I started looking into 4x4 cause they look better lifted. I went to one dealer and they have a pretty nice 04 k1500 but it had 130k miles on it and they wanted 10k for it. I was kind of afraid of it, becuase thats lots of money and lots of miles at the same time. I'd hate to drop 10k, then maybe need a new motor or trans soon, and have to blow another 2-3k. So as I was just looking around the lot I noticed they had a TB (but 2wd) on the lot. I gave it a good look over and decided it was good looking. Then I came home did some reading and googling and found out they can tow pretty well also. Then I stumbled across this forum and here I am with the questions.

While the place I live is pretty flat and sucks I would be willing to drive north for some off road weekends. I've been looking over this forum and came up a little short on some info. I see some of you guys do pretty well in the snow and on trails, but how do you do in mud? To be totally honest, with the way the land is here, it might never see the off road around here I just want to know it's limits.
We have like 2 illegal mudding spots around here. The only things I've ever seen in them is big bronco's, older pick ups and CJ's but they are illegal spots and i don't know if I wanna risk it.

I'm open to any info you all are willing to give. Thanks! Maybe someday soon I will be in a TB if I can find a 4wd for sale :)
Trekk

Name: Aaron
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 2WD

by NHARINTON » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Trekk wrote:Hello everyone! I'm here, I don't own a TB and I have questions! :viking: this is going to be sort of long :)

Here is the deal. I live way down in Homestead, Fl. I've always been in to sports cars and what not, but I think those days are nearing the end and I'm looking for something new. With the house boom a few years back this place really got built up, people are all over, traffic is always common now, not sport car friendly.

I started over the past few weeks looking into trucks and SUV's stuff on the bigger side. I would like to be able to tow things, maybe a small boat and a Miata to the track every now and then. So I first started looking at like F350's and V8's V10's thinking I need that power. I know I wanted something lifted some, but not so big that parking it would become a problem. For that reason I started looking into 4x4 cause they look better lifted. I went to one dealer and they have a pretty nice 04 k1500 but it had 130k miles on it and they wanted 10k for it. I was kind of afraid of it, becuase thats lots of money and lots of miles at the same time. I'd hate to drop 10k, then maybe need a new motor or trans soon, and have to blow another 2-3k. So as I was just looking around the lot I noticed they had a TB (but 2wd) on the lot. I gave it a good look over and decided it was good looking. Then I came home did some reading and googling and found out they can tow pretty well also. Then I stumbled across this forum and here I am with the questions.

While the place I live is pretty flat and sucks I would be willing to drive north for some off road weekends. I've been looking over this forum and came up a little short on some info. I see some of you guys do pretty well in the snow and on trails, but how do you do in mud? To be totally honest, with the way the land is here, it might never see the off road around here I just want to know it's limits.
We have like 2 illegal mudding spots around here. The only things I've ever seen in them is big bronco's, older pick ups and CJ's but they are illegal spots and i don't know if I wanna risk it.

I'm open to any info you all are willing to give. Thanks! Maybe someday soon I will be in a TB if I can find a 4wd for sale :)

If you plan to do mudding at all or moderate off road get a 4X4. They will never be as good as a lifted bronco (or like wehicle) will be tho. They have limitations. Great truck tho with a inexpensive lift. Good for everyday off road and towing. Try to find one with a G80 and 4X$ and you will be alot happier.
"The accumulation of all powers, in the same hands, whether of one, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny” - James Madision The Federalist Papers #47
NHARINTON

Name: Nick
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 am

While a lifted bronco may be a decent off roader... that's all it'd be good for.

The great thing about the TB is that it's a very comfortable vehicle for long distance drives... plus, with a relatively little cash injection it can be a very decent off road vehicle that can easily follow a stock Jeep Rubicon over most terrrain... but we have twice the storage and twice the comforts... like XM radio... etc.

The TB is also a decently cheap vehicle to repair... when compared to other vehicles. There are so many of them in the US, that repair parts are generally easy to come by... another perk.

Towing, you won't have much trouble, but if it's a heavy load you plan to tow, try to find the 4.10 gearing... rpo codes can be found here: http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech- ... icle-specs

Hope you can find something good... and stay away from those illegal mud holes... bad bad bad. :slap:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trekk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:45 am

The more I think about it, the more I want one... The down side of living down here in Homestead is that the land is so flat, most people never pay the extra $ for a 4x4, so that makes it harder also. I hope a decent one pops up soon. I do have a few really nice low mile 2wd around me, but I feel pretty set on getting a 4x4.
Trekk

Name: Aaron
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 2WD

by Trail X » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:59 am

Big Cypress sounds fun... http://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/orv-use.htm

I'd certainly check that area out. :safari:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 am

Those illegal mudholes are why our other legal offroad spoats are being closed. Please do not go there. In fact, sit back and snipe a few of their tires so they dont come back. :raspberry:

Anyway...You will love a 360 once you get one. Sounds like a perfect fit for your needs. When I lived in FL I had 4x4 but never used it, so i would say you need to find your best deal on a truck you really like and go for it.

Good Luck.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"