Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New TB Ext guy in Georgia

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by kelley_revell » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:43 am

Well I just wouldn’t respect myself in the morning if I didn’t post the obligatory, “Hey ya’ll I’m new” kinda thing here first. Had a pretty mint condition ‘06 Ext 4x4 with a 325 V8 drop in my lap from an extended family member. Thing’s been dealer cared for and never seen dirt except from the safety of the pavement. I’m not new to off-road, but I am very new to these newer platforms. For instance, I’m not entirely sure what to think of an aluminum block Vortec V8 for off-road use as heat tends to lurk around every corner when on the trails. Better to bite the bullet now and drop in a crate motor? I guess I have lots of reading to do on the layout of these things and deciding what’s worth upgrading and what’s better left alone.
Also, it’s nice to see this forum is not just an empty museum of 10+ year old posts that may, or may not, still be valid aftermarket considerations. Look forward to meeting some of you. :cheers:
kelley_revell

Name: Kelley
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:08 am

The 5.3 will be great offroad. Would be least of my concerns with this platform. Only issue with it is the AFM crap, but no need to completely dump the engine for that.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by kelley_revell » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:19 am

Hardtrailz,

Thanks for the heads up. I had to look it up. I wasn’t even aware GM was trying any of that cylinder shut-down nonsense yet in ‘06. Haven’t had a chance to read more than a couple of threads, but I’m not sure where to start (i.e. what is the weakest link?). Stuff like:
Can this semi-float rear axle handle any real abuse? Best to just slide in a cheap 14-bolt and avoid the carnage? (I know Dynatrac will do a custom build for Dana 80 also).
How best to divorce the front axle from the engine’s oil pan, cause whoever came up with that idea ought to be tarred and feathered.

My main goal is to avoid wasting energy on parts that are never going to last in the long run. I once blew nearly 2 grand on full rebuild, gears, locker, and 4340 shafts for a Dana 44 that still went to pieces on the rocks (ugh, never doing that again).
kelley_revell

Name: Kelley
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:25 am

Start with putting a 60 under the front. Wish I had years ago. The diff is not worth reusing if you are going to move it off the pan. Its marginal as is and not worth the fab.

The 8.0 and 8.6 rears are pretty chincy. The 9.5 sf14 from the SS is solid.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"